Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control Panel not showing batteries full

DavidinWales

DavidinWales

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,
I have a Cali Ocean 2020 T6.1 and had a Solar Solutions 100w panel fitted in the spring with the Epever MPPT dual battery charger. The panel system has been working fine as far as I can tell. I've been travelling in Europe since the start of May with no problems until I left the van parked up for two weeks while away sailing. This is in Croatia and the sun has been shining almost all day every day! On returning to the van last weekend the control panel was reading only 34 hours and the visual battery display was three bars short of full. I can't remember what the volts were. I then drove for an hour or so and it came up to >60 hours but still showed two bars short of full. I've now been on electric hook-up 24/7 for five days and the display has been showing >60 hours, 13-14.5 volts but is still stuck on showing two bars short of full. The Epever display matches the control panel volts.

I've read the posts about pulling the IBS plugs to reset the sensors. Should I be trying the same? I am completely non-technical so don't want to fiddle with anything that I don't have to do!

Thanks for reading if you got this far.

TBH my 6.1 has been the same for the last week, 2 bars under full, even with a 100W panel and sunny days.

I had assumed it was down to the Cali control unit keeping the batteries at 80% to preserve them.

We off grid Friday, and while 80 is fine, I’ll put max charge on for the ride there just to force it to get up to 100.

Hi,
I have a Cali Ocean 2020 T6.1 and had a Solar Solutions 100w panel fitted in the spring with the Epever MPPT dual battery charger. The panel system has been working fine as far as I can tell. I've been travelling in Europe since the start of May with no problems until I left the van parked up for two weeks while away sailing. This is in Croatia and the sun has been shining almost all day every day! On returning to the van last weekend the control panel was reading only 34 hours and the visual battery display was three bars short of full. I can't remember what the volts were. I then drove for an hour or so and it came up to >60 hours but still showed two bars short of full. I've now been on electric hook-up 24/7 for five days and the display has been showing >60 hours, 13-14.5 volts but is still stuck on showing two bars short of full. The Epever display matches the control panel volts.

I've read the posts about pulling the IBS plugs to reset the sensors. Should I be trying the same? I am completely non-technical so don't want to fiddle with anything that I don't have to do!

TBH my 6.1 has been the same for the last week, 2 bars under full, even with a 100W panel and sunny days.

I had assumed it was down to the Cali control unit keeping the batteries at 80% to preserve them.

We off grid Friday, and while 80 is fine, I’ll put max charge on for the ride there just to force it to get up to 100.
The Control Panel calculation and display regarding battery power is very much a “ calculated guesstimate “. The voltage displayed is accurate.

IMG_1532.jpeg

Hi,

Exactly the same setup as me.
Having issues, and unsure wether it’s the panel or the Epever Duo Racer.
Hadn’t used the Cali Ocean for 3 weeks.
Only fridge on #4
My fridge turned itself off after 3 days.
Thought it might be the front dash cam plugged into USB by kitchen sink (that is linked to Lesuire battery)
So I pulled the USB cable out.
And plugged into EHU to fill the battery’s.
Again full, so switched fridge on #4 and thought that would be good.
But 3 days later fridge off again and on ignition said to charge starter battery as low warning.
Tested starter battery. Only 11.7v
Charged again on EHU.
So I have to test my panel. (Roger wants it back to test)
And Epever support are asking me to do various tests. Which I will once I get the California back.
Epever support are very good.
support@epsolarpv.com
Give them an email, let them know which MPPT you have.
Good luck

IMG_6960.jpeg
Driven for 50 minutes on max charge on the motorway at 60 mph. with no Solar panel attached. And then parked up for 22 minutes.
Not sure why it’s saying -16 amps when all I had done was switch the ignition on.
But 12.7 is full. On 20th June 23
And also 12.7 shows 4 bars missing on 18th June 23
It’s all very strange. !
Which is why I don’t understand why my DuoRacer isn’t charging the starter.
Continuity test on cable from BATT2 to other side of fuse is ok. Fuse working great, even giving it a little shake to test for loose wires.
IMG_6947.jpeg

Thanks @dspuk. I was planning to put max charge on when I get back on the road.

Hi,

Let's see a photo or description of the negative feed from the duoracer to your van?

Exactly the same setup as me.
Having issues, and unsure wether it’s the panel or the Epever Duo Racer.
Hadn’t used the Cali Ocean for 3 weeks.
Only fridge on #4
My fridge turned itself off after 3 days.
Thought it might be the front dash cam plugged into USB by kitchen sink (that is linked to Lesuire battery)
So I pulled the USB cable out.
And plugged into EHU to fill the battery’s.
Again full, so switched fridge on #4 and thought that would be good.
But 3 days later fridge off again and on ignition said to charge starter battery as low warning.
Tested starter battery. Only 11.7v
Charged again on EHU.
So I have to test my panel. (Roger wants it back to test)
And Epever support are asking me to do various tests. Which I will once I get the California back.
Epever support are very good.
support@epsolarpv.com
Give them an email, let them know which MPPT you have.
Good luck
Thanks @Californication69. I'll do that when I get home if I can't resolve the issue.

Not sure what exactly you mean.
The problem you describe is often caused by a miswired negative feed. How did you wire up your negative from the solar charger? In particular did you wire the solar controller directly to the battery negative or to the vehicle chassis?

There are a few other mistakes that could be made. You taking a photo of the all connections to the rear battery can make it much easier and quicker to help you.

Last edited:
I wondered what IBS plugs were.
Googled it, wished I hadn’t bothered :oops:

Don't bother until you have fixed the underlying problem.

The problem you describe is often caused by a miswired negative feed. How did you wire up your negative from the solar charger? In particular did you wire the solar controller directly to the battery negative or to the vehicle chassis?

There are a few other mistakes that could be made. You taking a photo of the all connections to the rear battery can make it much easier and quicker to help you.
Thanks but being completely non-technical, I got Roger to fit the panel. So I think it's safe to assume it's all done correctly! I don't really want the hassle of taking out the rear shelf support to check. In any case, everything was previously working fine for nearly three months.

Thanks but being completely non-technical, I got Roger to fit the panel. So I think it's safe to assume it's all done correctly! I don't really want the hassle of taking out the rear shelf support to check. In any case, everything was previously working fine for nearly three months.
I think there's very little you're likely to achieve on this forum without getting your hands dirty. You might update your profile to say T6.1 as the T6 has quite different leisure electrics. At the end of the day your best route is probably to go to Roger or someone who can provide similar expertise.

I think there's very little you're likely to achieve on this forum without getting your hands dirty. You might update your profile to say T6.1 as the T6 has quite different leisure electrics. At the end of the day your best route is probably to go to Roger or someone who can provide similar expertise.
Thanks @yossarian, I will contact Roger if the issue persists after my next drive. Thanks for pointing out the error on my profile - I thought I'd put 6.1.

Thanks @yossarian, I will contact Roger if the issue persists after my next drive. Thanks for pointing out the error on my profile - I thought I'd put 6.1.
Tip: if you are viewing this site on your phone you can usually see the poster's profile (vehicle type and location) by turning your phone to landscape.

i notice on my T6 with 100w panel the battery percentage seems to drop as normal but the voltage remains high with the panel. i notice that starting the engine briefly seems to reset the percentage guesstimate. as long as the V is 12.7 and above then in my opinion the batteries are full

i notice on my T6 with 100w panel the battery percentage seems to drop as normal but the voltage remains high with the panel. i notice that starting the engine briefly seems to reset the percentage guesstimate. as long as the V is 12.7 and above then in my opinion the batteries are full
On the old control panel the Battery % is calculated on Current draw. It doesn’t see the amps from the Solar Panel , and as you say is reset by engine start or switching Off the Control Panel and then On again.

They have made it more complicated on the T6.1 with individual battery monitors on each battery.

Update on my control panel issue. After two long drives (180-ish miles) with max power on and two more nights on hook-ups with no change, during a third drive the battery icon finally went up to 100% and has been fine since.
From Saturday I’ll be off-grid and static for a week so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
Thanks to all for your replies.

Back