Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Control Unit only displays half

chrissmit

chrissmit

Vehicle
T5 HighTop
Hi all,

I had issues with my control unit of my T5 2006, so I took it out and apart.
The issue was around the central knob. I couldn't select the option I wanted.
The knob itself was fine, not sure what was/is wring.

Now I've put the unit back together again, connected the connectors again, and all of a sudden I only have half the display working. Only the right half, exactly in the middle is visible.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

I would never , personaly , open the contril unit as i am not that good in electric....
So can't give any advice , but i belive some here have had they're contol unit repaired , so maybe anybody can give the info where that was altough that prob. wil be in UK .
In Belgium i would not know , myself i go to Camper Centrum Nederland in Amersfoort for parts and maintenance. They for sure can swap the unit or get it refurbisched

If the symptoms were different earlier, I would dismantle it again and carefully and peacefully check all the connectors, My guess is that during the operation you have accidentally partly disconnected one of them. Unless another fault occurred in the same time, but this is highly unlikely.

Thanks Hotel California,
At least I have an address to go to.

Andresz: I have taken the unit apart again.
Checked the front bit, where the knob and buttons are, and put it back together again.
I'm very sure the two flat cable connectors are connected correctly.

In another thread I've read that there is a sequence to re-connect the connectors of the whole unit, but I can't seem to find that thread anymore.

The display was fine before I took it out. I didn't fiddle with anything but the knob (which was in order).

Any other help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I disconnected and connected the unit numerous times, never used any sequence nor was aware of its' existence. This seems like a faulty connection of the LCD itself. Check if LCD is really well connected and well flattened on the circuit board. Could also be that it failed during operation, the panel does not like unstable states, that is why I always keep it on, never switch it off and on.

Just reconnecte it again, same fault. At least thats consistent.

Do you think it's the LCD unit that has a faulty connection, or one of the flatcables?

One other thing I've read on this forum is that holding Escape and pressing the knob would reset the unit.
The only thing that happens with mine is that I see a setup menu (well, half of it).

Resetting the unit will not help in this case. Then it is hard to speculate if the fault is LCD itself or the connectors, but: connectors checked (did you really check the flat cables connection, does it go to the bottom?), must be the LCD then.

I'll recheck the LCD display itself, but since I didn't do anything with it, I don't think there is a problem there.

Might indeed be the flatcables not connecting properly.

I'll keep you pisted on my progress.

Thanks WelshGas for the link. Very helpful.

In the mean time if anyone has any other thoughts, that would be great.

This is our first Cali, and we're leaving on our first holiday with it in 5 days.
I'm excited to go, but also a bit worried if I can't get the roof up because of this problem.

Thanks for all the help so far. Great forum.

My advice in this circumstances would be: buy the new panel at VW, there is a good chance that you have it before vacations, so you still have the quality of vacations maintained... then after return get the faulty panel refurbished and keep it in the van as spare. I think it is wise to keep one as a spare anyway, too wobbly and too important not to have it.

If it happens to you to go through Paris to your vacations..., I have 3 faulty Central Panels (besides the hot back up one, which I keep in the van), If we manage to complete 1 functional from the 4, (3 mine + 1 your) I will hand it over to you for 100Euros.

That is very tempting Andresz, and very kind as well.

I'm a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place.
  • You're not sure if you can get 1 fixed
  • We're driving over Luxembourg
  • I need to order today to get it here on time

Would you have one ready, I would have come over by train to pick it up.

Sorry, going for the weekend now. Working 12 hours on Monday and Tuesday. Have time on Wednesday morning and from Thursday afternoon on. Indeed there is no assurance that we complete one working,

Thanks. Enjoy your weekend. I'll get back to you.

If you get somebody to take them to Brussels as from Sunday evening on, I will be ready to sell all 3 for 150 Euros, In fact do not need them anymore. I bought 4 for 200 Euros and completed the one operating (only knob was faulty) and one as hot spare.

Back