Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camper Control Unit Push Button - Any Upgrades ?

G

gatvol

Is an upgraded/ more robust rotate/ push control available anywhere please ?

The dreaded Camper Control Unit button has failed again on my 2011 model. I am fitting a brand new fascia unit and button purchased from the website's shop.

Looking at the VW button, it is remarkably fragile. It is literally designed to fail.

Plastic knobs on splined shafts have been used without issue on stereos/ radios for decades. I have owned numerous devices with these splined knobs without a single issue - other than with my Cali.

In the California the knob only grips on three of the spindle's (18 or so) splines. If one of these three contact points fails - as they tend to, the mechanism will fail. 20200913_093610.jpg

I have just like many on here just had to buy the knob and facia kit which cost me £45... haven’t fitted it yet as the other one still works (Just).. so waiting till it gets worse before I replace it...
I’m sure someone could get these made probably in China for 10p each..Or someone with a 3D printer perhaps..£45 for this part is ridiculous but them vw knows they can get you to stump up because nobody else makes them...

There should be a up-graded button provided by VW, mine was replaced and it feels different than the original fitted knob (2012 SE) .
I also had a protection cover placed so hitting it with your head or other bodyparts don’t break the knob.

See here the protection cover for the turning knob installed

There should be a up-graded button provided by VW, mine was replaced and it feels different than the original fitted knob (2012 SE) .
I also had a protection cover placed so hitting it with your head or other bodyparts don’t break the knob.
But considering I have never hit or abused the switch can’t see the point. I think it is such a weak point VWUK should be ashamed...BUT VW are in it to make money and that is what they are doing...Why would they make a knob that works perfectly for years and years, they wouldn’t make money from them..
I know I could get these made for only pence but I’m not going down that road I’m retired and that can be left for someone else..

Back