Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cool Warm Box Hinges

P

PersonaNonGrata

Just putting out a feeler here - does anyone else have one of these boxes where the hinges have broken?

Ours went just recently (from a 2013 cali) and I've temporarily fixed it using a bit of epoxy resin but that aint going to hold for very long.....

I think the only way to fix these properly is a 3d printed hinge replacement that can be sunk a decent depth into the lid. Basically the top of bottom of this I'm pretty sure I will eventually get around to doing this but may do it a bit quicker if other people have boxes with the same issues.

Basically don't skip these things when they break - they can be fixed.

79C332F2-7114-4D30-BE41-30EE34BB6AB7.jpeg The hinge on mine broke not long after getting it - small child leant on the lid whilst open, string snapped, flimsy plastic lug broke! I made a replacement out of metal - large washer with a bolt through it that I ground the head to the right shape for the lug. Bolt goes into the lid, all secured in with a two part epoxy. It’s bullet proof, been going for nearly two years now and no signs of any issues. The Mrs tells me I have to sell it as we’ve now bought a Dometic compressor fridge but I don’t want to!

Back