Coolant test

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
During the recent service inspection I was told that my coolant was measured like 53'c. And normal is around 35'c.
Was instructed that I can simply dilute it with water.
It all left me puzzled.
If I understand correctly, this measure is a freezing point?
After reading more on coolants I found out that coolant itself undiluted freezes slightly below 0'c and doesn't cool the engine so well. So the more water you mix the better it cools the engine and lower the freezing point is. Up to 70%water.
So is it really necessary to dilute it? As freezing point is already very low temp which means it should cool the engine fine as well.

During the recent service inspection I was told that my coolant was measured like 53'c. And normal is around 35'c.
Was instructed that I can simply dilute it with water.
It all left me puzzled.
If I understand correctly, this measure is a freezing point?
After reading more on coolants I found out that coolant itself undiluted freezes slightly below 0'c and doesn't cool the engine so well. So the more water you mix the better it cools the engine and lower the freezing point is. Up to 70%water.
So is it really necessary to dilute it? As freezing point is already very low temp which means it should cool the engine fine as well.
The coolant system is not sealed only pressurised so water vapour can be lost through the pressure cap at higher temperatures/ pressure. I wouldn't actively dilute it but top up with just water when cold if it needs it, rather than use an antifreeze mix.

So in other words keep driving without worries? No need to drain a bit in order to dilute?

So in other words keep driving without worries? No need to drain a bit in order to dilute?
Personally I would. Possibly get a Coolant test pre-winter.

Back