Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coolant problems

Should I drain some coolant before taking these lines off?
No need to drain any coolant just clamp about 5cm back from the hose clips and gently work the hoses off you may need a 90 degree pick or a small flat blade screwdriver to ease the rubber hoses off of the cooler as I’m they have a tendency to grow on after a few years

Should I drain some coolant before taking these lines off?
You don’t need to. The loss will be minimal if the radiator and Header Tank caps are in place and you don’t take too long plugging the bypass pipe in. Some form of clamp on the hoses would be useful. Oh, and a cold engine.

No need to drain any coolant just clamp about 5cm back from the hose clips and gently work the hoses off you may need a 90 degree pick or a small flat blade screwdriver to ease the rubber hoses off of the cooler as I’m they have a tendency to grow on after a few years
Just to be sure, these are the 2 hoses in question?

2301C1A8-CAAA-4950-9BAC-2629BCB2D4FC.jpeg

Ok, took the exhaust hose off the side og the EGR Valve to have a peek whilst waiting for pressure test kit to be delivered. Absolutely dripping wet in there, no dry soot (wet all over the valve) and a tiny puddle of water at the bottom of the hose joint (smells a bit of cooler). Thinking this is already pointing me closer to the cooler failure! (unless this is typical of a head gasket failure too).

My next question (it never ends lol) Is where on earth can you get a decent replacement? I see the part number is 070 131 513D. Just wondering if anyone has any top tips for sellers. I see a few used on the internet in various places around europe, but not so many. Would prefer an unused reproduction than one from a breaker that has already run 300000km. Tips gratefully recieved!

Will still be carrying out the pressure test to be sure.

Ok, took the exhaust hose off the side og the EGR Valve to have a peek whilst waiting for pressure test kit to be delivered. Absolutely dripping wet in there, no dry soot (wet all over the valve) and a tiny puddle of water at the bottom of the hose joint (smells a bit of cooler). Thinking this is already pointing me closer to the cooler failure! (unless this is typical of a head gasket failure too).

My next question (it never ends lol) Is where on earth can you get a decent replacement? I see the part number is 070 131 513D. Just wondering if anyone has any top tips for sellers. I see a few used on the internet in various places around europe, but not so many. Would prefer an unused reproduction than one from a breaker that has already run 300000km. Tips gratefully recieved!

Will still be carrying out the pressure test to be sure.
New one on eBay France.

New one on eBay France.

Thanks WG! I wish it was that type, but its the more square variant, and seems to be much harder to find. Most often from the VW Touareg.

EGR 070131513D.jpg

Thanks WG! I wish it was that type, but its the more square variant, and seems to be much harder to find. Most often from the VW Touareg.

View attachment 51363
That one is different to the Parts Diagram for the 2007 2.5l Engine. But the Part Number changed in 2006 to the F variant.

959AB6EC-D17B-4C35-9FC4-4C644630C92B.png

Last edited:

View attachment 51363
Part Number changed December 2006 to the F variant.

Possibly you have the older D variant.

I have bypassed the cooler, while waiting for my pressure tester in the post is it ok to drive it with a dry empty cooler?
According to Vw Guru, yes.
Do you have the D or later F variant of the cooler?

E61C48D4-9C70-4427-816A-0B7F8095A96C.jpeg

Just had a Smokey short drive lol the bit of coolant left bubbled out onto the engine :) its the D variant
If that's the case then it should be replaced by the later F variant, as in the eBay link I posted above. Possibly @VW Guru can confirm.

Thank you so much folks!
Really hoping to be able to pressure test it soon, I hate waiting for the post... should have paid the extra and got a set from a shop!

The poster has the D type EGR cooler. Can it be replaced by the later F type cooler?

hi so having checked this morning there are only two options available from vw the 070131513D which is for autos and the 070131512f for manuals. The 070131513d still exists and is available from vw the 0701311513F does not exist on any of the factory systems

hi so having checked this morning there are only two options available from vw the 070131513D which is for autos and the 070131512f for manuals. The 070131513d still exists and is available from vw the 0701311513F does not exist on any of the factory systems
Morning, Thanks!
Yes I have had a quote from VW nearly 600 pounds, so have managed to locate an old one from a scrap yard that I will try if I can confirm it is where the problem is. A bit worried that yesterday I suddenly see some milkyness around the oil filler cap that wasn't there 2 weeks ago :Nailbiting Maybe gasket afterall :headbang

Why am I suddenly i Czech on my profile pic this morning???

Have you been doing a lot of low distance driving and idling recently? Can you post a picture of your oil filler cap so I can have a look also like I said before the most common issue is the water pump it gives the same symptoms as a head gasket

Have you been doing a lot of low distance driving and idling recently? Can you post a picture of your oil filler cap so I can have a look also like I said before the most common issue is the water pump it gives the same symptoms as a head gasket
I have been checking and idling the engine a bit much recently, but this must be more than that. The cap was clean last time I checked 2wks ago!

AA1820AD-9F6F-4AA9-8434-A890B50D9E8C.jpeg

I have been checking and idling the engine a bit much recently, but this must be more than that. The cap was clean last time I checked 2wks ago!

View attachment 51537
That’s definitely coolant getting in your oil. If you can on the gearbox side of your engine at the rear there is a plate held in by 3 m8 (13mm headed) bolts remove that plate and behind that is the drive gear for your coolant pump. Look at the engine casting to see if there are any drops of coolant sat there

Back