Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coolant problems

Just to add to this, we have a late 2016 California (150, dsg, 30k miles, also had inspection service while there) under extended warranty) which has just had to have an EGR valve replacement…thankfully we only paid £100 excess of the £1250 cost due to warranty….but 3 days later we’ve noticed the flashing temp light has come on from almost cold.
Seems like too much of a coincidence that this isn’t related to the EGR valve replacement?!
Any expert thoughts would help before I speak to Breeze Totton later on.

Just to add to this, we have a late 2016 California (150, dsg, 30k miles, also had inspection service while there) under extended warranty) which has just had to have an EGR valve replacement…thankfully we only paid £100 excess of the £1250 cost due to warranty….but 3 days later we’ve noticed the flashing temp light has come on from almost cold.
Seems like too much of a coincidence that this isn’t related to the EGR valve replacement?!
Coolant level?

@The Poets , it could be many things ... but suspect a loose cable or something similar when things got put back together. If you have extended warranty, you should also have VW assist. Call them up to come and check it for you. Hopefully a simple fix.

Which of the below lights flash ... and also yellow or red?

1627559013787.png

My wife is in the van as we speak, and before she leaves I’ve asked her to check the coolant level and let me know.
As for symbol, it’s 11 - the one that’s in the temperature gauge itself and it’s flashing red.
We don’t have vw assist because it’s one we had to buy separately via the vw warranty website once the original warranty expired. Given the waiting times to book the van in I’m more concerned about our two upcoming trips having to be cancelled. Will report back…..

My wife is in the van as we speak, and before she leaves I’ve asked her to check the coolant level and let me know.
As for symbol, it’s 11 - the one that’s in the temperature gauge itself and it’s flashing red.
We don’t have vw assist because it’s one we had to buy separately via the vw warranty website once the original warranty expired. Given the waiting times to book the van in I’m more concerned about our two upcoming trips having to be cancelled. Will report back…..

As @WelshGas says, possibly coolant level. Should not drop a lot, but if you have not checked in a while, then could be. Refill and see what happens. Fingers-crossed that it is something minor.

So the coolant level is on the minimum line, wife just got home. Only a short drive back but engine reading warm.
I would have thought that this would have been checked in the inspection service and work that has just been carried out, which was why I thought there may be a correlation between EGR valve replacement and this happening, as it’s not happened in 2.5 years we’ve had the van.

So the coolant level is on the minimum line, wife just got home. Only a short drive back but engine reading warm.
I would have thought that this would have been checked in the inspection service and work that has just been carried out, which was why I thought there may be a correlation between EGR valve replacement and this happening, as it’s not happened in 2.5 years we’ve had the van.
Remember, the coolant level will vary as the coolant expands and contracts with the change in temperature. Only worry if it is below. On the min line when warm/at temperature means that when cool it may drop below the min.

Wait until the engine cools down properly before adding fresh coolant.

On Inspection Service - have seen that it can be a joke. The claim is usually for 100 point or 200 point check ... and 90% of them are just a visual check that a bolt is in place :headbang :headbang :headbang the rest 10% is the important part ... so gets conveniently ignored. No check that it is correctly torqued or not. I don't have much hope/trust on inspection services.

Yes I’ll check later on once it’s cooled down a bit. Just can’t be a coincidence that this has happened a few days after the valve replacement, when it’s never happened before.
I only got the inspection done to keep the vw history as it should be, but yes I guess it is what it says….an inspection!

The coolant system is very complicated and it's quite difficult to remove all of the air from the system after work has been done. I suspect the air has been clearing from the system and that has caused the level to drop.
In the MORNING first thing before you next start it, just check the water is up to the COLD line and then leave it at that. Ignore the level at all other times when the engine is warm.

Thanks for the advice, i was going to buy some more coolant this pm - worth doing do you think? I suppose it's handy to have just in case anyway.

Check your oil level is below the max level on the dipstick and make a note of where it is for when you check next time if this persists.
not that I think this applies, but if coolant leaks into the engine the oil level will rise accordingly, just something else to discount.

Last edited:
The coolant goes through it via a heat exchanger ,terminal if it's been run for a long duration.

Took it into Breeze Totton yesterday pm, they had a good look + pressure test for half hour. They think it was an air lock or similar from the work they did last week. All good since so I’ll keep an eye.
thanks to all for opinions and advice!

Took it into Breeze Totton yesterday pm, they had a good look + pressure test for half hour. They think it was an air lock or similar from the work they did last week. All good since so I’ll keep an eye.
thanks to all for opinions and advice!
That's good news for you and your travel plans as they say, all is well that ends well

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Goodness, glad that's sorted. When I first saw the title I thought it was just yet someone else with not enough ice in the gin :shocked

Hi Trollhunter

did you get this problem sorted, would you be kind enough to update to help others.
Hi,

Yes sorry, as usual, once a problem is fixed... forget to update.

So after a lot of testing, everything from EGR valve, exhaust in the coolant, pressure tests etc... I finally found a mate of a mate mechanic who was sure it was the water pump. He took the engine apart and low and behold it was a leaking water pump. Small leak between a faulty gasket causing the coolant loss.
He checked and replaced the head gasket to be sure, but saw no signs of fault there.

Every since I have not lost a single drop of coolant and touch wood had no engine problems.

Still loving the Cali-life and had some awesome summer adventures with the family:)

Lesson learned... always listen to @VW Guru, I think its one of the first things he suggested!

Hi,

Yes sorry, as usual, once a problem is fixed... forget to update.

So after a lot of testing, everything from EGR valve, exhaust in the coolant, pressure tests etc... I finally found a mate of a mate mechanic who was sure it was the water pump. He took the engine apart and low and behold it was a leaking water pump. Small leak between a faulty gasket causing the coolant loss.
He checked and replaced the head gasket to be sure, but saw no signs of fault there.

Every since I have not lost a single drop of coolant and touch wood had no engine problems.

Still loving the Cali-life and had some awesome summer adventures with the family:)

Lesson learned... always listen to @VW Guru, I think its one of the first things he suggested!
Glad you got it sorted and still loving the Cali life.

many thanks for closing this out.

the Guru is sorely missed here :(

Back