Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Corrosion - a new place to look

sebking

sebking

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi

Was doing a proper wash today and moved the rubber seal that runs round the roof. Would be interested to hear what others look like. Was not a pretty sight, a lot of hidden corrosion starting on the edge if the roof, looks like it's not painted and sealed so well and the means that water ingress is gong to be causing some long term issues.

Lubed the sliding mechanism though with some very nice sailing McLube

Re: Corrosion - a new places to look

Sorry to hear it. IMHO wherever you have aluminium bodywork on a VAG car, expect trouble.

At school, I understood that different metals touching could create batteries and corrosion. VW don't seem to have learnt this unfortunately.

Yep, my 2008 is corroded there. Thought I had got away with no corrosion until I discovered it last year.

Similarly, I understand this to be a common problem, which is known to VW. It happened to a friends Cali and VW replaced the roof and resprayed it at their cost.

I recommend you speak with your local dealer.

They can fix it when they do the other corrosion then!

Will contact VWCV and find out where the nearest body shop that know what a Cali is is.

could you be a bit more specific on which rubber to remove and where to check thank you.
2008 cali

The rubber that runs round the base of the roof. It should just slide off.

Have suffered the same.

been waiting nearly a year for the other corrosion issues (front panel & corners of main roof)(second time i've had them) to be approved to repair... last inspection they tried to blame me for surfing (i put boards on the roof)...

reminds me i must chase up AGAIN to get this issues solved... it got half rubbed back & i've had it in that state for a year...

Just checked my Cali for this & guess what, not only do I have blistering above the windscreen but also on the roof edge. It is in random places all round !!
Will speak to VWCS tomorrow & see if this can be done at the same time as the rest.

Whilst the seal was off I cleaned off all the green gunk. Underside of the roof had quite a bit of condensation on it as well.

Hi,

We are new to the Cali and pick up our Beach later this week.
I know the roof is different on the Beach to the SE but is this a problem on the Beach too.

Hubby and I checked ours over (ex demonstrator) and couldnt see any problems but I just want to know if this something we need to keep our eye on.

Thanks

I am afraid we have another Cali' to add to the list of those waiting in the VW warranty claim queue - a 2010. Ours has the familiar corrosion bubbling and paint peeling at various points on the front roof panel above the windscreen AND at the rear offside corner of the main roof panel at rubber edge strip level. We lodged a formal warranty claim with out local dealership Heritage of Dorchester on 30th Jan 2014 after noticing the postings on these club pages and after talking to another local Cali' owner who's vehicle is similarly afflicted and had registered their claim with the same dealership. Can anyone tell us please if we now have to wait for the cogs of VW's process to churn slowly and wait for a response back via the dealership or should we make direct representation also to VW - and if so to whom?
Stephen & Sarah

if a claim has gone in vw will send you a letter with details of what to do next :thumb

I got my letter within a week of speaking to VW. 4 centres being trained up to do the work. They will take your van away on a transporter for two weeks, loaning you a cali when they have it. I was told that each bodyshop can take two calis at a time. So at the rate of 200 jobs a year, this will obviously take some time

My guess would be many months, if not years to get the work done.

I think VW has become a shadow of its former self in terms of the build quality of its products. But I do think that it is adopting the right approach here with this defective aspect of the vans. When a manufacturer makes a shocking mistake, a recall-type solution is the way to do it. Fess up and do the right thing.

All those who had their vans fixed before this more comprehensive regime came in, I would encourage you to keep a close eye on the repairs already undertaken and if at all possible get yours booked in for the recall-type solution. This problem needs a proper solution (not just sandpaper and repainting) or I reckon it will just recur.

Hi
I have had the same problem with a 2012 California, it has since been repaired through VW, but I am not happy that a vehicle that costs over £46000 should have had this problem.
VW should not be selling these vehicles until they have solved the issue of Aluminium panels reacting with the paint.

Tomsusie said:
Hi
I have had the same problem with a 2012 California, it has since been repaired through VW, but I am not happy that a vehicle that costs over £46000 should have had this problem.
VW should not be selling these vehicles until they have solved the issue of Aluminium panels reacting with the paint.

The aluminium panels do not react with the paint. The problem is there is an reaction between aluminium & steel that causes corrosion.
The other problem is if the ali panels are not 100% dry when painted then you get problems with paint not adhering properly.

Hi
The whole point of the complaint is that be it a reaction to the Ali wet or dry, then VW should sort out the problem before they pass it on to the supplier and customer.
With the modern techniques of manufacture paint problems should not be an issue, especially coming from VW who used to pride themselves in the quality of their paintwork.

Sad to report that mr.h found 2 blisters above the windscreen on our jan11 Cali . Reported it in January before our 3 year warranty expired. Still waiting for a reply. This was about 6 weeks ago.

HOw long do people normally wait to hear back from Vw ? I will be Interested to get your feedback on this

Hi
I contacted VW customer service as well as the California supplier. Waited about 4 to 6 weeks to get the repair authorised.
It will be interesting to see the follow up to any further blisters once the warranty has expired even though it is a recognised fault!
Best of luck.

I have picked up on the forum discussions and then checked my own 2010 Cali and see that I have the problem with blistering paintwork. There are a number of blisters on the edge over the windscreen and also on the edge next to the roof. However, in addition to this I have also noticed that the lacquer on the roof itself has crinkled in a number of patches and is lifting off. I certainly would not expect to see this in a vehicle of this age, and it would suggest to me that the initial painting of the whole roof was problematic. I would be interested if anyone else has had a similar problem with the lacquer lifting on their roof, and if it is in anyway connected with the other paintwork problems being experienced.

I have registered the paintwork problems direct with VW customer services, and visited Breeze Southampton for an inspection so that they can register the faults. However, the guy at Breeze said he was aware of the problems with the blistering aluminium, but not the faulty lacquer on the roof.

Back