Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cost of fuel

Got myself two 20L jerry cans from E-bay and filled them up yesterday from my Tesco in Cheltenham diesel at £1.70 putting them aside just in case the predictions come true of possible rationing in the late Spring (worst case scenario) the oil we get from Russia in the U.K. is for our diesel cars so I read... anyway it won't go to waste and as my day runner is a diesel too I have bought some piece of mind. Did a day out in the Brecons this week gone and averaged 38mpg which made me a happy camper :)

You really don't get it do you.
You can work in the countryside and hence live there, BUT , you can't walk to the shops , visit the GP , visit the hospital , walk to the theatre etc etc because the public transport links aren't there. Typical city attitude. I'm alright Jack.
Post #241 refers to living in the country and commuting to work in the city. As I recently posted, also to you, on another thread, improving reading comprehension will lower your outrage level, improve your quality of life, and just might help you avoid yelling "STAY OFF MY LAWN!!!" at passers-by.

Please try to read and understand posts before answering. It might help if you started with the assumption that people are interested in exchanging information as a goal, instead of what you've just posted as your goal on another thread, "winning the argument."

Last edited:
Post #241 refers to living in the country and commuting to work in the city. As I recently posted, also to you, on another thread, improving reading comprehension will lower your outrage level, improve your quality of life, and just might help you avoid yelling "STAY OFF MY LAWN!!!" at passers-by.

Please try to read and understand posts before answering. It might help if you started with the assumption that people are interested in exchanging information as a goal, instead of what you've just posted as your goal on another thread, "winning the argument."
Pathetic response. But expected. Why do you go out of your way to Troll people. Are you really so bored.

Another poorly considered response. A lot of people have no option but to live in the countryside, farmers, agricultural workers, those that support those workers, shop owners, doctors, vets, teachers for the countryside kids, council employees to look after the necessary roads. One size does not fit all and never will. Blanket pay per mile road pricing will be unfair.
We shall have to agree to disagree then if you cant grasp what I said earlier. I tried to keep it simple to demonstrate that motoring costs already vary according to miles covered.

A lot of the population “ didn’t move to the country “ they were born there and live and work there. But the city folk blame them for living in the ” country “. Typical.

I bet that’s a very small percentage.
But again, the lack of infrastructure offset by cheaper housing.

Surely you knew there was little public infrastructure when you moved there…?

Sounds a bit like people who move close by to airports, and them complain about all the aircraft in the sky and the noise and pollution…:talktothehand
Maybe there was public infrastructure when they moved there!
My parents lived “out of town”. There was a regular bus route 2 minutes walk away, then the service was ceased. So no public transport and no car, just a free return taxi into the local town centre for 2 hours shopping every Thursday .

My Dad moved to the countryside in 2006 .....

Didn't want a house as he wasn't getting any younger..... . Lives in a remote part of Wales just up from WG. A 360mile round trip for me to visit. Mum passed away in 2013 and he complained that the hospital was a 70mile round trip to visit her.

I bet that’s a very small percentage.
But again, the lack of infrastructure offset by cheaper housing.
It's probably a significant percentage. And certainly post COVID house prices in the country have outpaced in city house prices. Have you tried buying a house, or renting a flat, in the country!

It's probably a significant percentage. And certainly post COVID house prices in the country have outpaced in city house prices. Have you tried buying a house, or renting a flat, in the country!
Have you tried buying, renting anything within 1hr of London…?

The first half of the Pandemic country properties shot up in value as people tried to escape people.

As cities re-opened, detached properties with substantial gardens, within large city commuter belts (1 hr) have risen 20/25%+ in the last couple of years.

Most people want amenities, as such small commuter towns are smashing the market at present.

My Dad moved to the countryside in 2006 .....

Didn't want a house as he wasn't getting any younger..... . Lives in a remote part of Wales just up from WG. A 360mile round trip for me to visit. Mum passed away in 2013 and he complained that the hospital was a 70mile round trip to visit her.
But that was his decision. So he cannot really complain about the lack of infrastructure.
What about those who have grown up there, work there and live there. Houses aren’t cheap for them and wages are often less than city workers. Why should they be penalised with lack of infrastructure. They pay the same taxes etc.Fuel is often more expensive for them than city dwellers and they have to travel further to access services.
Also it is a misnomer that housing is cheaper. It is only cheaper for city workers wishing to relocate to live in the countryside. Very few give up the city job .
For a countryside worker buying a property in the countryside takes the same percentage, if not more, of their salary as a city worker buying a house in the city or suburbs but he has the advantage of all the infrastructure on his doorstep.

But he does

He sold him place in Putney for 310k and bought a place in Wales for £175k. The place in Wales may still be worth £175k but the place in Putney sold in 2020 for £759,950. My Dad was never good at business.

The first half of the Pandemic country properties shot up in value as people tried to escape people.

As cities re-opened, detached properties with substantial gardens, within large city commuter belts (1 hr) have risen 20/25%+ in the last couple of years.

Most people want amenities, as such small commuter towns are smashing the market at present.
Have you tried buying anything in Gloucestershire?

The value of our house (semi-detached) just outside the South Circular in SE London has been more or less static since 2017. Large garden - very large by London standards, backing onto a park. On a 3 buses per hour bus route. Two mainline stations within a mile both with a 4 train per hour service to London Bridge (15 min) or Charing Cross (20 min).

The value of our house (semi-detached) just outside the South Circular in SE London has been more or less static since 2017. Large garden - very large by London standards, backing onto a park. On a 3 buses per hour bus route. Two mainline stations within a mile both with a 4 train per hour service to London Bridge (15 min) or Charing Cross (20 min).

London is having a much needed correction.
It’s just outside London where detached properties are making the biggest gains.
I bet your semi in London is probably around the £950k mark. Move to the likes of Gloucestershire or Warwickshire and pick up a detached property in a small market town with good links into London for similar money.
With hybrid working, more people are looking to sell up in London for the outbound commuter towns which still have plenty of Amenities and good all round links and infrastructure.

I’ve seen gains of about 20% in the last two years on my property.
I almost bought semi rural 3 years ago (7 miles away) a similar property to what I have now, was about £250k cheaper. However, I didn’t want to be that far away from shops, hospitals, schools and other amenities that make small towns so attractive.
So I stumped up the extra to live where I do today.

London is having a much needed correction.
It’s just outside London where detached properties are making the biggest gains.
I bet your semi in London is probably around the £950k mark. Move to the likes of Gloucestershire or Warwickshire and pick up a detached property in a small market town with good links into London for similar money.
With hybrid working, more people are looking to sell up in London for the outbound commuter towns which still have plenty of Amenities and good all round links and infrastructure.

I’ve seen gains of about 20% in the last two years on my property.
I almost bought semi rural 3 years ago (7 miles away) a similar property to what I have now, was about £250k cheaper. However, I didn’t want to be that far away from shops, hospitals, schools and other amenities that make small towns so attractive.
So I stumped up the extra to live where I do today.
There you go, “hybrid working“ ! I.e. working from home with no extra diesel needed!

There you go, “hybrid working“ ! I.e. working from home with no extra diesel needed!
If you work in a manufacturing environment then working from home does not work that well, ok if you are a paper pusher not if you need high tech expensive equipment. As a research chemist working from home is not on the cards.

Wednesday £1.75 Oban Esso, £1.84 Fort William Esso.
The day after the budget FW Esso £1.87 and the BP £1.89, gone up not down !
Around here BP is always significantly higher than any other petrol station. Variables today for diesel between £1.54 - £1.90 BP is the £1.90.

Diesel at £1.67 today at Sainsbury's Stratton, Swindon.

Spain diesel - pump price 1.89 € but charged 1.69 €/ litre as there is a 20cents / litre government discount which is taken off when you pay. ( today's date 26/04/22)

i'll tell you all about city living and small towns. i work in the largest city in south yorkshire (Sheffield) which is currently toying with bringing in the dreaded congestion charges (for vans initially). now then, my small town 30 mile away is served by buses and 2 rail stations, however, the service is so bad i can't get there by 7am using any form of public transport and vice versa if i finish at 5am in the morning i cannot get home either,and thats when they actually run on time or turn up. for me the transport is free to use but i am still forced to drive my diesel car to work and back almost every shift. buses i would be around 2.5 hours each way for a 30 minute car journey. its costing me a gallon and half diesel which is now around 14 quid a shift. if they bring in a congestion charge of a 'brown back' i'm working my first hour for sod all. i can't work from home but 'they' don't provide alternative to the public first before trying to tax them off the roads without thinking.as for electric cars... they are 40000 beautiful british pounds aren't they. my car was 4000.i feel for people that have to pay even more than me just to go to work.the system is broken and more taxes via daft pay per mile schemes is too much for most people to carry and i can't believe people on here even think it should be brought in as there's no alternative for me or those in the country,especilly in the north.as said we already pay per mile in duty anyway.what next, charge me to park on my own driveway? how about a tax on how many times the wheels go round so small cars pay more ? diesel near me £1.73 by the way.

Spain diesel - pump price 1.89 € but charged 1.69 €/ litre as there is a 20cents / litre government discount which is taken off when you pay. ( today's date 26/04/22)
Pyrenees last week, saw over 2€/L on both sides of the border. The discount lasts til June apparently. Had a couple of landmarks recently: first time over 120€ to fill the van, and over 20€ for the bike! Even my unleaded camp stove is getting dear to run!

i'll tell you all about city living and small towns. i work in the largest city in south yorkshire (Sheffield) which is currently toying with bringing in the dreaded congestion charges (for vans initially). now then, my small town 30 mile away is served by buses and 2 rail stations, however, the service is so bad i can't get there by 7am using any form of public transport and vice versa if i finish at 5am in the morning i cannot get home either,and thats when they actually run on time or turn up. for me the transport is free to use but i am still forced to drive my diesel car to work and back almost every shift. buses i would be around 2.5 hours each way for a 30 minute car journey. its costing me a gallon and half diesel which is now around 14 quid a shift. if they bring in a congestion charge of a 'brown back' i'm working my first hour for sod all. i can't work from home but 'they' don't provide alternative to the public first before trying to tax them off the roads without thinking.as for electric cars... they are 40000 beautiful british pounds aren't they. my car was 4000.i feel for people that have to pay even more than me just to go to work.the system is broken and more taxes via daft pay per mile schemes is too much for most people to carry and i can't believe people on here even think it should be brought in as there's no alternative for me or those in the country,especilly in the north.as said we already pay per mile in duty anyway.what next, charge me to park on my own driveway? how about a tax on how many times the wheels go round so small cars pay more ? diesel near me £1.73 by the way.

Would parking outside the congestion zone and cycling in work for you, and save on the cost of riding a stationary bicycle at the gym as well?

I live just outside London’s ULEZ, and loads of people are parking up outside the N & S Circular roads and cycling the last 5 miles or so to the City or Docklands.

Back