Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cost of fuel

CaliforniaBen

CaliforniaBen

VIP Member
I have just paid £1.76 per litre for Shell V Power ouch , anyone know how much fuel is in France at the moment as we are travelling south next month and thinking the cost of fuel and tolls combined this could be a very expensive trip

It’s currently around 1.80 Euro a litre, but as everywhere, is going up rapidly at the moment. I paid 1.54 Euro a litre yesterday in Luxembourg - total cost for 67 litres over 100 Euro for the first time ever!

I have just paid £1.76 per litre for Shell V Power ouch , anyone know how much fuel is in France at the moment as we are travelling south next month and thinking the cost of fuel and tolls combined this could be a very expensive trip
I paid £1.49 for diesel yesterday in Asda. You will always pay more for all singing All dancing fuel. There is a website you can go to to get current French fuel prices. www.carburants.org/prix-carburants/

It seems to be around €1.70 ish a litre. But that obviously varies on where you buy it. Supermarket is €1.70. Autoroute €1.90.
But in a months time who knows.

Anyone's guess at the moment..

Crude prices...

28 March - Brent $102.55 up 4.72% , Nymex is at $95.87 up 4.67%
01 March - Brent $103.33 up 5.50%, Nymex is at $100.13 up 4.61%
02 March - Brent $110.67 up 5.43%, Nymex is at $108.67 up 5.09%

03 March - Brent $115.50 up 2.28%, Nymex is at $113.13 up 2.52%

//
Thursday 3rd March 2022

Price have risen further to even more unbelievably high rates as the conflict in the Ukraine continues. The news from a number of large energy majors also pulling out Russia has further added to these surges.

OPEC+ have also recently confirmed they will stick to their conservative monthly increases in supply, despite global cries to increase production faster.

As the war in Ukraine further ramps up, prices look set to continue, but as these increases have been caused by such socio-political factors, they could fall just even more quickly should a resolution be confirmed.

Brent is currently trading at $115.50 up 2.28% on the day and the Nymex is at $113.13 up 2.52% on the day.
//

I paid £1.49 for diesel yesterday in Asda. You will always pay more for all singing All dancing fuel. There is a website you can go to to get current French fuel prices. www.carburants.org/prix-carburants/

It seems to be around €1.70 ish a litre. But that obviously varies on where you buy it. Supermarket is €1.70. Autoroute €1.90.
But in a months time who knows.
These prices were about a week ago so probably much higher now.

Filled my Skoda at Costco Avonmouth yesterday and it’s £1.467 for diesel.

Filled my Skoda at Costco Avonmouth yesterday and it’s £1.467 for diesel.
Who would have ever thought that £1.467 was a bargain price for Diesel. What next £2.00......£3.00...

Carrefour in Lille this morning is:
Gazole (diesel) - €1.892/ltr
Gazole premium - €1.952/ltr
SP 95 unleaded - €1.644/ltr
SP 98 - €1.899/ltr

Carrefour in Lille this morning is:
Gazole (diesel) - €1.892/ltr
Gazole premium - €1.952/ltr
SP 95 unleaded - €1.644/ltr
SP 98 - €1.899/ltr
That’s risen about 20 cents in a week. Heaven knows what it will be in 6 months.

But of coarse we all know these rises fill the various governments coffers. The price of oil has been up to $147 in 2008 and fuel prices we’re nowhere near these amounts. It’s Tax that makes up the biggest rise. Governments could easily reduce the tax rates to take the burden away from the consumer. But do they? Like hell they do.

But of coarse we all know these rises fill the various governments coffers. The price of oil has been up to $147 in 2008 and fuel prices we’re nowhere near these amounts. It’s Tax that makes up the biggest rise. Governments could easily reduce the tax rates to take the burden away from the consumer. But do they? Like hell they do.
Devil's advocate:

And nor should they. Governments have to fill their coffers from somewhere.

Tempting to focus solely on the financials but there are at least two other legs to the stool.

Governments also have to reduce our carbon emissions, and improve public health. Don't blame them for keeping the tax % the same (and thereby increasing their income) as it might dissuade us from burning as much diesel. About half the average UK households emissions are from transport, including about 10% aviation, so diesel price rises may have positive environmental and social impacts.

Devil's advocate:

Tempting to focus solely on the financials but there are at least two other legs to the stool.

Governments also have to reduce our carbon emissions, and improve public health. Don't blame them for keeping the tax % the same (and thereby increasing their income) as it might dissuade us from burning as much diesel. About half the average UK households emissions are from transport, including about 10% aviation, so diesel price rises may have positive environmental and social impacts.

Very well said. Personally, I think fuel is underpriced from the point of view of how damaging it is. We aint seen nothing yet!

I know its not the same experience but it is now much cheaper to fly to the med than it is to go in the actual Cali, we have just booked a five star hotel in the Costa Blanca with private transfers for just over £1,200 for the two of us , if I had driven there it would of cost me MORE in tolls, ferries and fuel ( not to mention depreciation) plus I would still have campsite costs on top of that

Devil's advocate:

With what’s happening in Europe you really think that reducing carbon emissions is on the top of any governments agenda at the present time? . We have a madman threatening to reduce all the west to ash and you talk about carbon emissions. Buy a bike and use that as your main transportation.

Fuel price increases don’t just hurt dopey campervan drivers with more money than sense but people on a very limited fixed income ie pensioners who have been given a poultry 3% when it should have been 8%. And my calculations say 3% of nothing is nothing....If anyone reading this feels strongly about the Environment give up your Diesel guzzling van now. Practice what you preach.

The UK Government isn’t what I would call a charity. Donate to the Ukraine refugees.
You seem a bit argumentative to me. You suggested I give to charity in response to me thinking fuel is underpriced, I said I do already, then you say the government isnt a charity and I should give to Ukraine. Just so you know, I pay tax in the UK and also support various charities including the latest need in Ukraine. My giving has been the equivalent of more than a pound for each litre of fuel purchased since owning the camper, thats 1433.2 litres since 10 April 2019. Nothing more need be said on this I hope.

Fuel price increases don’t just hurt dopey campervan drivers with more money than sense but people on a very limited fixed income ie pensioners who have been given a poultry 3% when it should have been 8%. And my calculations say 3% of nothing is nothing....If anyone reading this feels strongly about the Environment give up your Diesel guzzling van now. Practice what you preach.
Are you sure you’re logged in to the correct forum?

COP 26 is just a memory now eh? But the irony of it wasn't lost on me at the time. I recall calling into the services at Scotch Corner in the last week of Oct and being bemused why it was gridlocked with police vans, until the penny dropped. As we joined the A1 Southbound we stopped counting police vans from just about every constabulary in the UK. It was literally breathtaking at the amount of vans from Kent and Essex that were steaming to Glasgow to protect a conference that was going to protect the world from climate change.

Some of us poor buggers are screwed even If we don’t take to the road! A litre of Heating oil has gone from 60p to 97p +vat in 2 month!
Still, our problems are nothing compared to those in Ukraine.

Was 2 Euro on the autoroute for standard diesel.

COP 26 is just a memory now eh? But the irony of it wasn't lost on me at the time. I recall calling into the services at Scotch Corner in the last week of Oct and being bemused why it was gridlocked with police vans, until the penny dropped. As we joined the A1 Southbound we stopped counting police vans from just about every constabulary in the UK. It was literally breathtaking at the amount of vans from Kent and Essex that were steaming to Glasgow to protect a conference that was going to protect the world from climate change.

Yep.
I remember doing the same.
We lost count at about 150 vans. Was weird though, seeing so many jam sandwiches in one go...

Back