Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cost of fuel

i'll tell you all about city living and small towns. i work in the largest city in south yorkshire (Sheffield) which is currently toying with bringing in the dreaded congestion charges (for vans initially). now then, my small town 30 mile away is served by buses and 2 rail stations, however, the service is so bad i can't get there by 7am using any form of public transport and vice versa if i finish at 5am in the morning i cannot get home either,and thats when they actually run on time or turn up. for me the transport is free to use but i am still forced to drive my diesel car to work and back almost every shift. buses i would be around 2.5 hours each way for a 30 minute car journey. its costing me a gallon and half diesel which is now around 14 quid a shift. if they bring in a congestion charge of a 'brown back' i'm working my first hour for sod all. i can't work from home but 'they' don't provide alternative to the public first before trying to tax them off the roads without thinking.as for electric cars... they are 40000 beautiful british pounds aren't they. my car was 4000.i feel for people that have to pay even more than me just to go to work.the system is broken and more taxes via daft pay per mile schemes is too much for most people to carry and i can't believe people on here even think it should be brought in as there's no alternative for me or those in the country,especilly in the north.as said we already pay per mile in duty anyway.what next, charge me to park on my own driveway? how about a tax on how many times the wheels go round so small cars pay more ? diesel near me £1.73 by the way.
It sounds like the root of the problem in terms of time, inconvienience, pollution and cost is because you have a job with problematic hours 30 miles away from where you live. Dont get me wrong, I am sure you feel there is good reason to do that and I travelled more than that myself. Its more to do with how many of us expect to be able to live nowadays. We, the human race. need to change.

Times have changed too - 30 years ago you might have moved house to be closer to a new job, because you could reasonably expect to be doing that job for the next ten, twenty years.

Times have changed too - 30 years ago you might have moved house to be closer to a new job, because you could reasonably expect to be doing that job for the next ten, twenty years.
Yes of course you are right, so many things have changed over 30 years. The fact remains that in GB in 2019 (last year of pre covid stats) all road traffic exceeded 350 Billion Miles, a figure thats difficult to comprehend, but surely its too much.

Would parking outside the congestion zone and cycling in work for you, and save on the cost of riding a stationary bicycle at the gym as well?

I live just outside London’s ULEZ, and loads of people are parking up outside the N & S Circular roads and cycling the last 5 miles or so to the City or Docklands.

It sounds like the root of the problem in terms of time, inconvienience, pollution and cost is because you have a job with problematic hours 30 miles away from where you live. Dont get me wrong, I am sure you feel there is good reason to do that and I travelled more than that myself. Its more to do with how many of us expect to be able to live nowadays. We, the human race. need to change.
problematic hours ? they are called 'shifts' up here mate. as for parking and biking, my bike won't fit in the car and i have never been to a gym in my life

problematic hours ? they are called 'shifts' up here mate.
Yes I know what shifts are obviously - done plenty myself. I was referring to the hours of arrival and departure you stated when public transport was not available for you and so where problematic from that viewpoint.

Yes I know what shifts are obviously - done plenty myself. I was referring to the hours of arrival and departure you stated when public transport was not available for you and so where problematic from that viewpoint.
Point I was initially making is that starting at 7am in a huge city shouldn't be 'problematic ' should it . For millions of shift workers out there a car is essential because public transport has failed them . Making these people pay more because they are forced to drive more than people with a tube train available every five minutes is wrong. This morning the 1st train from Sheffield to Manchester Airport at 03.35 was cancelled. The next train wasn't in 15 minutes time. It wasn't even in an hour. It was 1hr and 35 minutes later and terminated in picadilly. People at the station were then forced to drive or get taxis. Our transport network here has failed and cars are becoming our ONLY option

Point I was initially making is that starting at 7am in a huge city shouldn't be 'problematic ' should it . For millions of shift workers out there a car is essential because public transport has failed them . Making these people pay more because they are forced to drive more than people with a tube train available every five minutes is wrong. This morning the 1st train from Sheffield to Manchester Airport at 03.35 was cancelled. The next train wasn't in 15 minutes time. It wasn't even in an hour. It was 1hr and 35 minutes later and terminated in picadilly. People at the station were then forced to drive or get taxis. Our transport network here has failed and cars are becoming our ONLY option
It sounds diabolical. The more people drive the more infrequent public transport gets, and as public transport becomes more infrequent the more people will drive.

Up to the boundary of inner/outer London there is a pretty effective public transport network running overnight. From just about anywhere within the N/S Circular you can get a night bus to Trafalgar Square, and from Trafalgar Square you can get a night bus to just about anywhere within the N/S Circular, and often beyond.

I agree with you, a 7am start in any big city shouldnt be problematic but realistically for those that live in that same city or major populated area. The difficulty arises if you need to travel 30 miles to get to that city from a more rural area. Historically public transport in the form of buses, trains and trams was far better than it is now, particularly in rural areas. The growth in car ownership coincided with the decline.

It sounds diabolical. The more people drive the more infrequent public transport gets, and as public transport becomes more infrequent the more people will drive.

Up to the boundary of inner/outer London there is a pretty effective public transport network running overnight. From just about anywhere within the N/S Circular you can get a night bus to Trafalgar Square, and from Trafalgar Square you can get a night bus to just about anywhere within the N/S Circular, and often beyond.
There’s a reason for that. HMG spends £1476 a year on transport for every London resident. It spends £500 on every resident of Yorkshire and the Humber.

There’s a reason for that. HMG spends £1476 a year on transport for every London resident. It spends £500 on every resident of Yorkshire and the Humber.

Vehicle excise duty and fuel taxes paid by Londoners go to the chancellor, not to TfL.

TfL received loads of Government cash to keep transport services running throughout the Pandemic, but Government cash for TfL is an exception, not the rule.

Londoners are the main contributors to Government coffers.

=====

1. Main points

London, the South East and the East of England all had net fiscal surpluses in the financial year ending (FYE) 2020, with all other countries and regions of the UK having net fiscal deficits.

London had the highest net fiscal surplus per head at £4,030 while Northern Ireland had the highest net fiscal deficit per head at £5,440.

London raised the most revenue per head (£18,660) in FYE 2020, while the regions with the least revenue raised per head were Wales and the North East (£9,850 and £9,940 respectively).

Northern Ireland and Scotland incurred the highest expenditure per head in FYE 2020 at £15,910 and £15,070 respectively; the East of England and the East Midlands incurred the lowest expenditure per head at £11,870 and £12,010 respectively.

=====

Filled up this morning. £110 for a tank of diesel and we only have the standard size tank!

Economy was 36mpg compared to the computer, which said 37.5mpg. That’s 2/3 town driving in mainly 20/30 limits and the rest on the motorway. Does that sound OK?

Filled up this morning. £110 for a tank of diesel and we only have the standard size tank!

Economy was 36mpg compared to the computer, which said 37.5mpg. That’s 2/3 town driving in mainly 20/30 limits and the rest on the motorway. Does that sound OK?
Fuel £110 + per tank NOT OK (but that’s not your fault)

MPG sounds spot on

It's okay if you think it's okay. People's driving styles, motorway speeds etc vary and so will fuel consumption figures. But 36mpg sounds roughly what others on the forum report for a 150 Beach.

I filled up last week and managed to squeeze un just under £100. I reckon our 1.9tdi T5 convesion does around the 40 mark. We filled up went to Galloway Forest (400 miles) and managed to get back to near Cambridge before I chickened out............bare in mind we are in basic T5 so no computer but still happy with some 750 miles on tank

I have just paid £1.76 per litre for Shell V Power ouch , anyone know how much fuel is in France at the moment as we are travelling south next month and thinking the cost of fuel and tolls combined this could be a very expensive trip
Despite the Chancellor’s 5p a litre reduction in fuel duty, the treasury is still raking in cash due to the continual rise in prices at the pumps.
We may not see much, if any, further relief in fuel prices, because the government probably see these rising costs as an incentive to push drivers into opting for electric vehicles as the most favourable replacements.

Just to join in the fun fuel and range chat ... in the South of France the moment ( where I am ) you can expect to pay around 2 Euro a ltr for Gasoil , my 4 x4 204 obtained 36.5 mpg average on my last trip from Kent to North of Nimes , which was particularly good I think , mostly motorway miles . Just before this trip I just had the ERG pipe replaced under warranty , which had a crack in it , a known and very common problem with the T6 204 but not nasty enough to cause a recall apparently . I mention that because my average MPG before was still a respectable 34.4mpg . I thought my Cali was running superbly before, very smooth lots of power and reasonable MPG , but after I had it changed and now I realise it could of been even better without that fault.
Hope this information is of help and might encourage other 204/199 T6 owners ( and 150) who are not getting the maximum MPG to check their ERG pipes.

I filled up last week and managed to squeeze un just under £100. I reckon our 1.9tdi T5 convesion does around the 40 mark. We filled up went to Galloway Forest (400 miles) and managed to get back to near Cambridge before I chickened out............bare in mind we are in basic T5 so no computer but still happy with some 750 miles on tank
750 miles on a tank sounds really good. I just filled up at 450!

I have just paid £1.76 per litre for Shell V Power ouch , anyone know how much fuel is in France at the moment as we are travelling south next month and thinking the cost of fuel and tolls combined this could be a very expensive trip
She’ll v power now £2.10 in London. That’s up 34p in 3 months!

Fuel £110 + per tank NOT OK (but that’s not your fault)

MPG sounds spot on
I am getting 36mpg with my T6 Ocean DSG 204, travelling normal national speed limits, where conditions permit. If in 50mph roadworks then mpg rockets above 40mpg obviously

Just to join in the fun fuel and range chat ... in the South of France the moment ( where I am ) you can expect to pay around 2 Euro a ltr for Gasoil , my 4 x4 204 obtained 36.5 mpg average on my last trip from Kent to North of Nimes , which was particularly good I think , mostly motorway miles . Just before this trip I just had the ERG pipe replaced under warranty , which had a crack in it , a known and very common problem with the T6 204 but not nasty enough to cause a recall apparently . I mention that because my average MPG before was still a respectable 34.4mpg . I thought my Cali was running superbly before, very smooth lots of power and reasonable MPG , but after I had it changed and now I realise it could of been even better without that fault.
Hope this information is of help and might encourage other 204/199 T6 owners ( and 150) who are not getting the maximum MPG to check their ERG pipes.
36.5 mpg to the south of France! You need to take into account that it’s all down hill though :)

On a serious note… what are the symptoms of egr pipe problems?

Last edited:
750 miles on a tank sounds really good. I just filled up at 450!
Maybe on Jim's 1.9Tdi but I'd be pretty chuffed if I could do anywhere near 750 miles on my 2.0 180 (80-litre tank) as that would be about 43mpg.

Back