Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cost of fuel

Hope not, it’s going up at a pace already. Have a feeling that VAT will get reduced fairly soon, to save Boris‘s neck!

I would imagine VAT will reduce soon on everything. Got to be the best way to tackle the cost of living crisis…

you mean they don't have the M mode? Mine does (delivered May) so you would have control over which gear you're in.
That is interesting - I understood that the 'manual' or 'Sport' shift option was removed a while back, maybe it has made a come back. That would be a nice thing. A 'fake' clutch pedal would be nice too - save me from hitting the brake pedal with my left foot - did that on the rental we had last year - nearly went through the windscreen ... when you have driven only manual for over 45 years natural reactions are hard to break ..

Ive often thought a better cruise control option would be to keep the fuel throttle in the same position for fuel economy, no matter what. Crawl up hills, and zip down them!!!
You can certainly get better economy driving without ACC, if you’re concentrating.

With an empty van today I did manage 46mpg using ACC 90% of the journey though, which is a fair comparison with my Volvo which would turn in and 52mpg.
The old Rolls Canardly used to do that (inserts very old joke here .. )

That is interesting - I understood that the 'manual' or 'Sport' shift option was removed a while back, maybe it has made a come back.
Manual mode has never been removed. It was just Sport mode that disappeared after the first year of T6.1
Manual = driver moves gear selector backwards & forwards to choose gears.
Sports = still fully automatic but let’s the engine Rev higher, turns off coasting etc

Diesel 199.9p and petrol 189.9p at the Shell station on the Lincoln Road in Peterborough this morning.

Manual mode has never been removed. It was just Sport mode that disappeared after the first year of T6.1
Manual = driver moves gear selector backwards & forwards to choose gears.
Sports = still fully automatic but let’s the engine Rev higher, turns off coasting etc
Ah, OK, many thanks for clearing that up for me. That will help with my 'transition' to the auto world then.. :) Just keep repeating - No clutch pedal, no clutch pedal ...

Ah, OK, many thanks for clearing that up for me. That will help with my 'transition' to the auto world then.. :) Just keep repeating - No clutch pedal, no clutch pedal ...
I sometime forget its in D thinking its in manual and then go to change up, lots of revs as I slip it into neutral !

I sometime forget its in D thinking its in manual and then go to change up, lots of revs as I slip it into neutral !

Our other car has the gear selector where the wiper stalk is on the van.
Push what would be the windscreen washers on the van & it puts the car handbrake on.
Conversely I have more than once started the van, turned on the wipers & then wondered why it won't pull off.

First time driving an auto, my bosses car, with him and 2 other colleagues in it. Drove about 150 miles up the M6 / M74 one late evening. Fair to say no one was snoozing after I got to the first roundabout and tried to push the clutch in to change down :headbang:headbang:headbang

First time driving an auto, my bosses car, with him and 2 other colleagues in it. Drove about 150 miles up the M6 / M74 one late evening. Fair to say no one was snoozing after I got to the first roundabout and tried to push the clutch in to change down :headbang:headbang:headbang
Happens to the best of us.... My last car was an auto, then rented a manual while on holiday and duly scared the bejeesus out of myself on the first day back home. Old clutch habit reinstalled itself fast in my brain

Our other car has the gear selector where the wiper stalk is on the van.
Push what would be the windscreen washers on the van & it puts the car handbrake on.
Conversely I have more than once started the van, turned on the wipers & then wondered why it won't pull off.
crikey that could go bad quickly :oops:

yip done that too, my old dad used to say, sit on your left foot.
Sometimes I sit in our other vehicle, foot on brake trying to start it, then remembering "clutch not brake " :rolleyes: I am surprised how easy I alternate between given I drive the Cali more now.

crikey that could go bad quickly :oops:
Don't get me started on handbrakes!
I drive 4 of our cars regularly each has there own way of doing it:
1. Conventional handbrake
2. Lift as conventional to put on but then it drops back to the floor, pull again with button in & let it drop to let off.
3. Fly off, pull towards you then push button down to put it on, pull further towards you & just let go to let it off.
4. The button on the stalk.

Don't get me started on handbrakes!
I drive 4 of our cars regularly each has there own way of doing it:
1. Conventional handbrake
2. Lift as conventional to put on but then it drops back to the floor, pull again with button in & let it drop to let off.
3. Fly off, pull towards you then push button down to put it on, pull further towards you & just let go to let it off.
4. The button on the stalk.
ha ha
Give me option 1 every day of the week for every day use KISS principal, electric handbrakes are just more to go wrong. A mates of mines VW froze and cost him £1200 for new motors :oops:

This was made more of a Driver transition issue on the T6.1 when the left foot rest was deleted.

On Fuel costs --- as a rough guide using the higher grade Diesel it now costs me approximately (rough guide) £10 every 36 miles. :mad:

This was made more of a Driver transition issue on the T6.1 when the left foot rest was deleted.
Ah, probably should have ordered the rest of left foot deletion option then .. :)

On Fuel costs --- as a rough guide using the higher grade Diesel it now costs me approximately (rough guide) £10 every 36 miles. :mad:
Still cheaper than long distance 1st Class train travel. Cardiff to London about £10/15miles.

Still cheaper than long distance 1st Class train travel. Cardiff to London about £10/15miles.
2nd class peak standing room only is more than that from here to London

Just paid the equivalent of £1.70 per litre in Sligo, Ireland………. diesel does seem cheaper over here (and cheaper than petrol, how odd)

Even heard myself saying to my wife “That’s a good price!” …….oh dear, how times change :D

Still getting a discount in Spain. 65 l at pump price 1.96.9 on pump was 128.08 EUR but payed 114.96 EUR

Spain now variable but I paid 133euro for 78.7 l. The tank was getting low but had done 659 miles. Having filled at home which cost more. It would have been better if we had not been held up on M25 and if my husband did all the driving in Spain. He is better than me on economy but I am blaming it on wanted to go reasonable fast as long journey and we had to get up at 5:30 to get off the ship so did not want to arrive too late.

Last edited:
Back