Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cost of professional detailing a Cali?

J

Jandy61

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Just weighing up the costs between a quality detailer clean, vs paying for a ceramic coating (on a new van, say the ceramic coating costs 1200 and lasts 4 years, that’s £300 a year I could use to get the van cleaned every spring for 4 years, I’d be cleaning it during the year myself also

Just weighing up the costs between a quality detailer clean, vs paying for a ceramic coating (on a new van, say the ceramic coating costs 1200 and lasts 4 years, that’s £300 a year I could use to get the van cleaned every spring for 4 years, I’d be cleaning it during the year myself also
Expensive ceramic that. GT Performance in York quoted me £700 (Gtechniq Ultra, preparation polish, wheels removed and glass). Its a no brainer for me.
(They'll also do full bonnet/bumper/lights/mirrors in Xpel ppf for £825)

Expensive ceramic that. GT Performance in York quoted me £700 (Gtechniq Ultra, preparation polish, wheels removed and glass). Its a no brainer for me.
Really, I’d been reading posts on the forum saying it’s up between 1000 and 1500
Maybe I’ll get some prices once the van is leaving the factory

I’ve just booked my car in today, for the end of the month.
2-stage machine polish and ceramic.
£700
Can’t wait for the end result. She’s 10 years old this year and needs a bit of pampering ;)

Very good prices

Mine was £875 for stage 1 polish and Coating Farm ceramic inc wheels and glass with 3 year protection. RPM detailing in Poole - Ryan is a very nice guy and gave me a lot of confidence. I’m very happy with the results although its very early days to know about longevity. Makes the van dead easy to clean.

The only thing I would add is you aren't really comparing like with like. For £300 on an annual pro clean you wont get a machine polish. Its doing that at the outset that makes the difference and adds to the cost. Even on a new van that hasnt been touched by the dealer there are minor imperfections and a stage 1 polish before coating (whether ceramic or more traditional carnuba wax) is done to sort that out and you get a super glossy finish. You can add ‘sacrificial layer’ ceramic polish on top from time to time to maintain it. Whatever you use you really have to stay away from car washes (even hand wash places are best avoided) and take time to wash it yourself if you want to avoid swirls that dull the clearcoat.

The only thing I would add is you aren't really comparing like with like. For £300 on an annual pro clean you wont get a machine polish. Its doing that at the outset that makes the difference and adds to the cost. Even on a new van that hasnt been touched by the dealer there are minor imperfections and a stage 1 polish before coating (whether ceramic or more traditional carnuba wax) is done to sort that out and you get a super glossy finish. You can add ‘sacrificial layer’ ceramic polish on top from time to time to maintain it. Whatever you use you really have to stay away from car washes (even hand wash places are best avoided) and take time to wash it yourself if you want to avoid swirls that dull the clearcoat.
Thanks for the info

Can you not clean it yourself.

I don't think i will ever be sold on paying big money for some
geezer to clean my van. If you will keep the van for a long time
then it will cost a fortune.
If you wont keep it for a long time then what's the point?

Mine ( owned from new ) will soon be 15yrs old, going by your ceramic
coating price every 4 yrs, it would've cost me neigh on 5 grand just to keep
the fecker clean.
Do it yourself unless you have money to burn.

Self repairing film over the front end is I feel is an investment due to easy damage

Don’t worry about the non believers.
I too, was once sceptical, but fully converted once i popped my cherry.

I can spend two days cleaning the van and it never looks as good as when it comes back from a decent detailer, not forgetting the ease of cleaning going forward after a detail.

Times precious, who really wants to spend their weekends cleaning a van :happy

Glad its not just me. I like cleaning the van :bananadance2

Glad its not just me. I like cleaning the van :bananadance2

Once you’ve finished yours if you want to pop round and do mine, it will be much appreciated...
I’ll be in the man cave drinking coffee :thumb

Don’t worry about the non believers.
I too, was once sceptical, but fully converted once i popped my cherry.

I can spend two days cleaning the van and it never looks as good as when it comes back from a decent detailer, not forgetting the ease of cleaning going forward after a detail.

Times precious, who really wants to spend their weekends cleaning a van :happy
Yes, i fo wash my newish work van weekly as it’s advertising my business, wash the car a little less often, adding a camper to the fleet I think I’d just get bored and go a poor job on all three

Had my Cali professionally polished and ceramic coated with Zvizzer at the start of the new year, cost was £650. Would have been £500 but even though the van was only a year old and hardly used I’d managed to pick up a number of scratches so requires a stage 2 polish.

I got three quotes and this was the cheapest and the guy was recommended by a friend. He worked out of his home garage and so could keep costs down.

Very happy with the results.

Yes, i fo wash my newish work van weekly as it’s advertising my business, wash the car a little less often, adding a camper to the fleet I think I’d just get bored and go a poor job on all three
I know what you mean - my wife’s car doesnt seem to get washed very often :rolleyes:

Back