Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cover / Drainer for Cooker

Blue-T4

Blue-T4

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Good Morning,
not sure if this has been posted before, however, if someone is interrested it looks like vwcampershop.nl refilled their stocks. You will find it under T5 California Interieur or under Specials and it is called "Drainer".
Ordered two yesterday and they are on the way to Germany ☺

drainer.jpg

Got one , comes handy sometimes but while cooking you need to give it a place elsewhere
Some people just cut a choppingboard at size to fit , does the same in the end.
Nevertheless a nice gadget from Camper Centrum nederland

Got one , comes handy sometimes but while cooking you need to give it a place elsewhere
Some people just cut a choppingboard at size to fit , does the same in the end.
Nevertheless a nice gadget from Camper Centrum nederland

Is the drainer strong enough to use as a chopping board?

@yanathem , it probally wil be strong enough but don't think it would be handy as it does is a bit round shaped to drain water and it slides arround a bit .
Also think the specific (fairly thin)plastic it's made off is not for cutting on so it would cut trough afher a while i guess.
And it would be an expencive chopping board also...
Just get one at Ikea that fits on his side in the cupboard under the sink or coocker...

We have a plastic tea tray as a drainer which we lay upside down on some of that non slip stuff for travelling.

However, our Westy T4 had a stainless steel tray which was hinged to the underside of top. For cooking it could be clipped to the underside of the top. When you washed up you just unclipped it and folded down. It was brilliant because not only was it easy to use and to pack away but when the top was open you could fold it down and use as a work surface.

Now, we have a most impractical glass lid and we have make up something or pay an excessive price for an after purchase item for draining.
VW do not impress in this area. In a way I would prefer to see,the California made by Westfalia again.

I ordered one of these together with their 'special' collapsible ladder and they have arrived (unlike the Cali which is still in the dealership!!). The drainer is actually silver in colour not white - not sure whether yours will be the same. White was showing on the photo. They assure me that it can stay in place with the glass lid down but I haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet. I notice in their advert that it says it can also be used to serve drinks :) Don't think it would be any good for chopping on directly though as it is thin and would scratch.

Many thanks for the tip-off on this, Blue-T4. I hadn't seen it until I read your post.

For me this is a contender for 'accessory of the year'! Mine is silver - pretty much an exact match to the hob and sink. I wouldn't use it as a chopping board as the plastic isn't thick enough. But it feels strong and stable when in place. It's fantastic as extra surface if you are someone like me who tends to have the hob/sink lid open most of the time when camping, largely for quick and easy access to the sink.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but did you find these pladtic covers useful please ? Are they robust enough to put a chopping board on and then use as a work surface?

We tend to cook outside, use a small electric kettle inside (so rarely use the installed gas burners), so are forever lifting that glass lid in our t5 when we need to use the tap

Back