Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Croatia

I saw a member from Croatia popin' up here ... He must have some tips...
Hope he spots this post .

hi
me and my wife drove down to croatia through france ,switzerland, austria ,and slovenia last summer we went to pula,and stayed on a great campsite in town near the beach (camping stoja) a big site but great facilities and handy for the amphitheatre in town.which is fantastic .then we travelled plitvickva national park great lakes and waterfalls .on the whole loved croatia quite cheap and great weather nice scenery .just make sure your insurance covers you there ours was only third party cover and our insurance wouldn't extend the cover .hence we left sooner than we would have liked

Hi.
We went to Croatia last september via the following route.

Day 1. Dunkirk, through Belgium then overnight stop in Luxembourg.
Day 2. Drove down through France into Germany overnight stop in Bavaria.
Day 3. Sightseeing in Bavaria (Neuschwanstein Castle). drove into Austria overnight stop in Zell Am See.
Day 4. One of the best days of our 20 night holiday, drove over the Alps via the Grossglockner Pass, overnight stop in Austria again.
Day 5. Had breakfast in Austria, lunch in Slovenia, evening meal at our first Croatian campsite at a place called Povile, just outside Novi Vinodolski. We were parked up 25 metres from the sea overlooking the island of Krk.
The campsite was Punta Povile (can't find a website for it). Very, basic facilities but cracking views and very laid back. We stayed here for 5 nights and had a great time just walking, sunbathing, swimming and BBQ ing our evening meals. Perhaps not everyones thing but we loved it on this campsite.
We then moved on due to the bura (local winds) picking up and moved to Rovinj and stayed at campsite Ulika http://www.ulika-rovinj.com/ which was a couple of hundred metres from one of the really big Croatian campsites.We stayed here for 3 nights.
This was only a small campsite but this time with nice facilities and a cracking restaurant. Think, great Restaurant with attatched small campsite would be the best description of the site.
We found Rovinj to be a very nice place but totally different to where we first stayed in Croatia.
Croatia was, we found, quite cheap to eat out and deisel was about 10 kuna per litre (£1 to 10 Kuna roughly). I can remember us having 2 capucinos for about 25 kuna at a harbour side cafe and a really good evening seafood 2 course meal, with a decent bottle of local wine, being about 400 kuna for the 2 of us.
Every campsite that we used gave ius a discount with our ACSI card execpt for Ulika, who were just about to join the scheme.
We then headed slowly home (due to a bad weather front coming in), via Slovenia, Italy and several stops in France
We loved Croatia and will go back sometime.
Any questions ,please ask!
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Great review BigBloke love to read that kind of informative stuff it demonstrates what you can do in a Cali. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks "big bloke" we are visiting Corsica, Sardinia, Sciliy, Italy, Croatia, Venice, Dolomites then back into France, we are allowing ourselves 6 to 8 weeks.
That sounds an epic road trip, 6 to 8 weeks! Our 20 night tour could of done with being longer really, google maps or michelin maps are a little optimistic with their travel times we found!
We're off to Norway this september, hoping to get up into the arctic circle to hopefully see the northern lights. Then back through Sweden and Denmark, maybe stopping a night in Finland.
Report back on here about your trip, as reading about these type of journeys gives us and I'm sure others, inspiration for future trips. We were inspired to get down to Croatia by reading some of the write ups on the T5 forum, European and Foreign Travel sub forum.

Thanks "big bloke" we are visiting Corsica, Sardinia, Sciliy, Italy, Croatia, Venice, Dolomites then back into France, we are allowing ourselves 6 to 8 weeks.

John
Interesting - when will you be there? I'm hitting similar road between late June to August ending up at Santander. Off to Sarajevo next week via Montenegro from Kosovo. Venice early April. If visiting Croatia you must visit Dubrovnik - stunning

#Verymuchjealous :cool:

That sounds an epic road trip, 6 to 8 weeks! Our 20 night tour could of done with being longer really, google maps or michelin maps are a little optimistic with their travel times we found!
We're off to Norway this september, hoping to get up into the arctic circle to hopefully see the northern lights. Then back through Sweden and Denmark, maybe stopping a night in Finland.
Report back on here about your trip, as reading about these type of journeys gives us and I'm sure others, inspiration for future trips. We were inspired to get down to Croatia by reading some of the write ups on the T5 forum, European and Foreign Travel sub forum.
Please let us know about Norway now that's on my bucket list in the van

Please let us know about Norway now that's on my bucket list in the van

Will do, our plans are coming together now. We're going in our Beach and our friends are hiring 2 x SE's from Bognor, just got to plan our itinery to get the best from the trip!

I saw a member from Croatia popin' up here ... He must have some tips...
Hope he spots this post .

Think i was mistaken with Slovenia , since no one from Croatia has given any replies here...
Sorry