Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

CTEK battery charger ...

ti-fat-man

ti-fat-man

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hiya folks,
I've got a CTEK mxs 7.0 left over from my Defender ownership days. Question is could I put this to use on my Cali Beach?
I'm looking at purchasing an 'indicator' bolt on connector loom for the battery. Does anyone know the M6 or M8 bolt size please? In my googling of this subject, i'm confused.com. Do I attach the loom connector to the battery under the bonnet, or does my van have another battery under the front passenger seat. I've seen a company that mount a CTEK on the seat rear trim panel.
All help is gratefully received.
Cheers Al

Hiya folks,
I've got a CTEK mxs 7.0 left over from my Defender ownership days. Question is could I put this to use on my Cali Beach?
I'm looking at purchasing an 'indicator' bolt on connector loom for the battery. Does anyone know the M6 or M8 bolt size please? In my googling of this subject, i'm confused.com. Do I attach the loom connector to the battery under the bonnet, or does my van have another battery under the front passenger seat. I've seen a company that mount a CTEK on the seat rear trim panel.
All help is gratefully received.
Cheers Al
I had one in my Beach to keep the aux battery charged. Fits nicely on the seat base.

I’ve mounted mine under the drivers seat out of sight. You need to get the longer lead and connect to the leisure battery under the passenger seat.
It’s wired so that the charger will charge the leisure battery when the van is connected to 230v supply at a campsite or home.

See this thread.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/adding-230v-connection.10455/

59637D8A-799C-4D0F-A1BE-8BC6F7F6B10A.jpeg

Do make sure you fuse both live and neutral input to the CTEK, then you’re covered for reverse polarity abroad.

The linked thread looks as if it doesn’t achieve this.

Do make sure you fuse both live and neutral input to the CTEK, then you’re covered for reverse polarity abroad.

If your worried about Polarity, you should carry a polarity checker. As all the s/o will be wrong.

It's not a good idea to fuse both supply wires as this would allow the appliance to be live if the neutral fuse blew. As Loz said an RCBO should be fitted and this will give protection from reverse polarity faults.

Guys
All S/O now need to be RCD protected.
This was an amendment back on the 17th edi.
Over 20 years experience here in the electrical trade. I’m still alive, so must be doing something right ;)

cheers folks,
all the panels on my defender were held on with fur tree clips. Question, how does that front seat rear trim come off. I figure it's just clipped but would like to know before i bust it.
bringing me up to speed. Does my van have two batteries? The primary under the bonnet and a secondary under the f/n/s seat. Are the lights from the front seat back powered from this other battery.
so many questions because the owners manual is such a faff to read, the cali suppliment doesn't help much either ... rant :)
I've only got the poverty spec interior lighting, how can I get a rear interior light from opening the sliding door?
cheers Al

cheers folks,
all the panels on my defender were held on with fur tree clips. Question, how does that front seat rear trim come off. I figure it's just clipped but would like to know before i bust it.
bringing me up to speed. Does my van have two batteries? The primary under the bonnet and a secondary under the f/n/s seat. Are the lights from the front seat back powered from this other battery.
so many questions because the owners manual is such a faff to read, the cali suppliment doesn't help much either ... rant :)
I've only got the poverty spec interior lighting, how can I get a rear interior light from opening the sliding door?
cheers Al
Ah, I see you have updated your vehicle info!

cheers folks,
cheers Al
The panel at the back of the seat just pulls off. Easiest way is to slide the seat forward (as in the photo above) and grab the edge of the plastic now exposed and pull/pivot the top towards the rear of the van. It doesn't take much force. Once removed you will see a rubber cover over the leisure battery (so that answer another question :thumb).
I have also fixed an MXS 7 Ctek to the panel. The 7 is bigger than the 5 pictured earlier so I had to fabricate a false front to the panel. I fitted a Ctek comfort connector (ring to plug) onto the leisure battery and the output from the charger is lead under the passenger seat and plugged into that comfort connector. (sorry can't remember the ring size). Like this it will only charge the leisure battery. If I want to charge the main vehicle battery I unplug the comfort connector and plug in either a set of crocodile clips lead out of the window or more likely a cigarette lighter lead into the dashboard 12V socket.
(I have a 2012 Beach that didn't initially come with Elec hook-up so my electrics will be different to yours).
IMG_0010.jpg

Back