awning during heavy rain

• Thread starter inthemidnighthour
  • Start date
inthemidnighthour

inthemidnighthour

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Had several very heavy storms this last couple of weeks whilst on holiday in europe , with the awning fully extended i always lower one leg to aid the water flowing off the awning when its raining .However one morning the rain was too much and a huge bulge appeared in the middle .
Following this only ever extended the awning about 1m incase this happened when we were out.thankfully no lasting damage as was quick to notice the bulge.
so does anyone have any tips to enable the awning to be left out all the time ?
or are there any cross poles available to support the roof better ?

thanks dave and lisa :thumb

More angles is all I've done, had the same a couple of months ago, now we just make sure we have a decent downward angle away from the van, and also from front to back. Before that we mostly just had front to back angle but pretty flat away from the van for the headroom.

A telescopic clothes prop or a shower rail will do the job for around a fiver or so. Good for hanging sidescreens from as well.

briwy said:
A telescopic clothes prop or a shower rail will do the job for around a fiver or so. Good for hanging sidescreens from as well.
The whole point of the curved telescopic rafter is it can be fitted with the curve up to prevent puddling. How does a straight shower rail or clothes prop do this ??

Andy said:
briwy said:
The whole point of the curved telescopic rafter is it can be fitted with the curve up to prevent puddling. How does a straight shower rail or clothes prop do this ??

Because it holds the middle of the awning up and the sides naturally drop a bit under their own weight. I agree that the curved one would be better but the straight one does work OK.