Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cycle rack

A

Anonymous

Guest User
Hi everyone, I've just taken delivery of my first Cali and need a two cycle carry rack.
I see that both Thule and fiamma sell ones that fit but I'm unsure what to go for.
Please advise this is my first post! :?:

Hi,

we have the Thule which you buy with two racks and can add up to two more if you wish.
It also has a key lockable thumb screw knob so you can lock the outer bike.

Ours worked well last week on a trip to the Cotswold's with 3 heavy bikes on the back of our Cali.

Another option is the VW bike rack for the Cali but this is a bit more expensive.

Thanks for the response john, does the Thule bars go right to the bottom of the tailgate? Rob

F0xylady said:
Thanks for the response john, does the Thule bars go right to the bottom of the tailgate? Rob

Rob yes and the rack attaches to the tailgate with two flat extendable hooks on the top and two metal plates on the bottom.

Hope this helps.

John

KGrHqVlEE5KoZ6C69BOUqNQTQvQ48_12.jpg

We have the Fiamma one. does the job fine but its a few years old now and the plastics that allow the arms to secure the bikes, are getting brittle. Going to replace a couple at around £15 each rather than the bikes come loose :eek:

Also makes a great towel rail and somewhere to hang my folding washing up bucket off. A kind of extra outside pot wash!!

I'm also looking into solar panels and reakon it could be a good place to install one I can take off, but using the bike secure arms, could tilt upright to face the sun!!

Far more than just a bike rack!!

Thanks for the input guys, the thing I don't quiet get is that the 4 cycle Thule rack doesn't have bars that come all the way to the bottom of the tailgate but the less heavy duty two bike version does?? :thanks

F0xylady said:
Thanks for the input guys, the thing I don't quiet get is that the 4 cycle Thule rack doesn't have bars that come all the way to the bottom of the tailgate but the less heavy duty two bike version does?? :thanks

Just to clarify the Thule comes with 2 racks and arms. You can then add 1 or 2 more racks and arms to it.

The picture shows just 2 racks but we added another one for my daughters bike later.

It does not hinge at the bottom as the bikes would then obscure the number plate. Hence the hinge and racks are above the number plate. Thats why in the picture they do not go to the bottom of the tailgate.

John

The vw rack ( which looks the best IMO) has three bars plus an extension to attach to the third bike. Well engineered and a great washing line
We carry three bikes and no complaints

Thanks for all the responses, I have just orderd a Vw rack from smg for £420 which is expensive but after lots of research I believe this option best suits my needs. Now just got to work out how to get it from Horsham to the midlands!! :?:

Well done rob. You won't regret it :thumb it will finish of your Cali nicely :thumb :thumb
Also a quality bit of kit :thumb