Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cycle Rack

T

Tin Lizzie

we have recently (2 weeks) taken delivery of our new Cali. We wish to take our bikes with us when camping near suitable sites. We are not very young (76) and are looking for a suitable means of carrying the bikes. I am considering the Thule XPress 970 because of the apparent ease of use but wondered if the bikes would be touching the rear of the van when carried. Can anybody give me any advice please as to the suitability of this rack, please?

I have one of these, they are a simple idea and quick to mount. I didn't buy it for my California as I have the VW Bike Rack, but have used it on other cars.

Depending on how it fits your towbar, will depend how far it holds the bike from the body, you could easily find the handle bars rubbing while travelling.

Two other problems, you can't open the boot/tailgate without removing the rack. And, you should fit a trailer board with number plate and lights. So, when you look at all of that, it's a bit of a faff.

VW bike rack is the best way to go.

The Atera Strada tow bar model would suit you best as it's low, removable and does allow the tailgate to be opened whilst bikes are attached. It also comes with lights and is available in two to four bike models. I haven't got one but my father-in-law has (on an Audi Q3) specifically bought because he's no longer comfortable with faffing with roofbars and lifting bikes high.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNlBwfb6FVU[/youtube]

There's some talk on the forum about how the wiring can/does disable the reversing sensors as they're obviously rendered useless by the presence of this kind of rack.

Thanks very much for your help. I shall certainly take a look at one, I had no idea such a rack existed.

I have replied to one post on this and am not well versed in the mechanics of sorting out which reply goes to which person responding. Thank you, anyway, both of you. Its heartwarming that so many members are willing to help Have a happy Christmas, all of you.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the helpful replies. Having considered all the options looks like I shall be going for the California one.