Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Thule towbar-mounted bike rack

E

Edhardy

We have a VW tailgate bike rack and have just used it to transport a family's-worth of bikes around Europe for five weeks.

While it's easy enough to load and unload, totally solid in use and unobtrusive when unloaded, the tailgate rack does mean you can't open the tailgate once the bikes are aboard. We found this to be a major pain: with a van-full of clobber we had to plan very carefully to make sure we could access whatever we needed while on the move.

I have a top-spec Thule towbar-mounted rack from a previous life and am wondering if it could provide us with a solution to this problem. Whether or not it could depends on the clearance when a loaded Thule rack is angled back, ie whether this is enough to allow the tailgate to open.

As such I have a very specific question for forum members: does anyone out there use a Thule towbar-mounted rack, and if so, does it tip back enough to allow you to open the tailgate when it's loaded with bikes?

It would be an expensive mistake to make if I was to get a towbar fitted and find I still can't open the tailgate...

I have seen the Thule 3-bike one work on a Beach, and the tailgate opened no problem, although with only millimetres to spare. I have been told that you do need to watch the positioning of your towbar as this can be make or break for it! It was fine on the VW factory fitted removable one that I saw though.

Yes, my Dad has the Atera Strada 3 on his T5 conversion and it works really well...looks pretty similar to the Thule version...

I have a thule euro way three bike version and even though it tilts back it does not tilt back enough to open the tailgate. Tow ball is a vw fixed one.

Thanks all, much appreciated: it looks like the answer is that it might work - and then again it might not...

It sounds like one key factor is the position of the towball: it needs to be as far away from the back of the vehicle as possible.

I've got the three-bike Thule rack but have the optional fourth bike rack fitted too: I wonder if I left the rack nearest the vehicle empty, it would help matters. I'll have a word with a towbar fitter, see what they think.

Thanks again everyone.

Maybe try a little engineering/fab shop and see if they could modify the original Thule rack to put a hinged bit in between the bikes and the hitch?

Hi all,

I have a Thule with removable tow bar, I find it no problem as long as the inner bike pedal is removed, it poses no problem and the tailgate clears about 30mm. I have thought about modifying the bike rack but its so easy to carry a 15mm spanner and quick to refit the pedal that's it just not worth the hassle.

I think my Thule bike rack is called the Euro G5S and the tailgate is able to clear with about 25mm to spare. The rack is about 3 years old. A critical factor for me is where I position the pedal nearest to the tailgate. It has to be pointing up or it is too tight to open the tailgate. I don't know where you are but I am in Sussex and would be willing to show you if you can get here easily.
Regards
Tony

Thanks again everyone for all these replies, they're all very useful. And I'm beginning to think it might be feasible to use my Thule rack too, which is good.

Ollie - is your removable towbar a VW-fitted one, or another brand?

And Tony - how about your towbar: was it fitted from new or retro-fitted, and by VW or someone else? My rack is the Euro G5 909, which as far as I can work out from Googling it, is probably the same as yours - so it will probably all come down to towball positioning. If I make sure I get the same as you, I should be fine.

I have the thule 932 with the VW detachable tow bar.I can fit two mountain bikes and open the tail gate.There is a button to press with your foot which lets the bike mount drop forward.

The only one issue is when I have the downhill mountain bike on the closet straps the handlebars can tap the rear window(there quite wide).Advice always check and put the widest bars on the furthest from the truck.

I have had it for a year,used most times the cali has been out and its superb.Keeps the bikes solid,they lock on to the rack.Cost was quite high 330 but worth it.

Andy

Hi Edhardy,

Mine is a euro classic 928 with a VW westfalia removable tow ball. Does that help. I am in Southampton if you need to see it.

Interesting- I have a Thule 929 rack and it fouls the rear door even when fully tilted back. Am I doing something wrong? There is very limited room for manoeuvre when it comes to mounting the rack. I have the VW removable towbar...

Hi, we have a Thule G6 and a factory VW detachable towbar. The bike rack works fine even with the 4th bike adapter. The Thule website details which vehicles the G6 bike rack is compatible with and the T5 is mentioned. Hope that helps.

Hi,
We have just got a Atera Strada DL 3 bike rack. It fits on the tow ball and can be sloped back to allow access to the tailgate. We have just two bikes and use the two outer most slots for the bikes and it works fine.
Got it from Roofbox.
Their website has a lot of information including videos , it may be worth a look before splashing out too much dosh.
I know that other members have them.
You're welcome to come and see it if you are near Hook.

Cuba said:
Hi, we have a Thule G6 and a factory VW detachable towbar. The bike rack works fine even with the 4th bike adapter. The Thule website details which vehicles the G6 bike rack is compatible with and the T5 is mentioned. Hope that helps.

Thanks - I downloaded the instructions (RTFM) and see that there are two positions for the restraint cables that hold the rack when it's tilted back - perhaps I need to move mine to the more rearward position - hope it works...

*sigh* I ordered an Atera rack from the disty here in NZ and contacted him to find out where it was, deposit paid and all sorts. He said "Oh yeah sorry i couldn't get one and can't now get them"

He suggested a couple of alternates both of which fold and look like they would work.
One which is stonkingly expensive - the 929
http://www.thule.co.nz/details.php?p_id ... LED_3_Bike

Or the 943 which is my preference
http://www.thule.co.nz/details.php?p_id ... ide_3B_943

Any Cali owners have insights into how the 943 works in real life ?

I have a new Thule bike rack for 3 bikes plus the 1 bike extension fitted onto a VW removable towball. This folds back very easily with a foot pedal and the tailgate JUST clears the bikes and rack so open with care.

I have measured up to see if this would fit in addition to the tailgate rack (we have a lot of bikes!) and it looks pretty close to working. Has anyone tried this?