Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DAB is usless when moving

Mine drops out every time I drive past a particular transmission mast on Tong Street in Bradford. Comes back on after 20 seconds or so. Not sure what they are transmitting, but whatever it is the dab receiver doesn’t like it. Glad I don’t live next door to it!

Does it not change automatically to the FM equivalent?
Not all DAB stations have an FM version....Radio 6Music for example
On the way to Dover I can listen to R6M in my Volvo without any drop outs. In the Cali, it drops out several times, for several minutes at a time. As I say, I suspect it's the quality or postioning of the ariel in the van.

I had rubbish DAB when I had a hardwired 12v to 5v supplyskit for my dashcam. It went pop, so I went back to the original plug in supply and DAB had been faultless ever since.
Seems very sensitive to interference.

I suppose I have just accepted it as a feature of the DAB radio.

What concerned me more was that when overseas I was never able to tune into DAB radio. I tried in several countries, I can’t remember which, but definitely in Italy. Do you know if different counties use different types of DAB?

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
I am pretty sure DAB is a UK thing, generally Europe never had any from my experience.

My DAB cuts out more when I have things charging from the engine socket in the cup holder. Although its a t5 i always thought the wiring wasn't sufficient for the ampage. Could also be RF inteference from cheap chinese non CE stuff but hard to tell.

Unplug things from the socket, I get far less cut outs.

Almost certainly what it is Matt. The DAB on our RNS 510 was giving a\ lot of problems and the dealer actually changed the whole head unit but the problem still persisted. We had a 12v-USB converted wired into the 12v in the dash. Perfect DAB reception when I removed it.

Living in the Lakes we don't get all the DAB stations everywhere. The BBC range is usually guaranteed except for some of the valleys when you get deep in to them but I find the unit switches over to FM no probs...when FM is available. The unit in our Golf R is pretty much the same.