Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Damage from sliding door

Jay586

Jay586

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
My electric sliding door made a bit of a grinding noise yesterday & now I can see damage to the bodywork under the rail.

Anyone else had this?

Not yet, will take one shortly.

It's under warranty but is this a warranty repair?

Not yet, will take one shortly.

It's under warranty but is this a warranty repair?
If you post some photos it will help assist.

if the door has not been damaged ?
and has been used as intended ?
and the resulting damage is from a failed component or fault ?
then it is a warranty issue.

is it an electric slider ?

Yep, electric slider. Just normal opening as I was going out. I'd heard a slight noise & thought maybe the rails needs cleaning but this was a lot louder.

Obv can't see the damage in the 2nd pic but it's the location, albeit it wonky.
IMG_20230718_082437.jpgIMG_20230718_082526.jpg

Yep, electric slider. Just normal opening as I was going out. I'd heard a slight noise & thought maybe the rails needs cleaning but this was a lot louder.

Obv can't see the damage in the 2nd pic but it's the location, albeit it wonky.
View attachment 111462View attachment 111463
Hi Jay , I don’t see any damage in your photos

the lighter line (below the mid roller channel ) looks like it’s factory applied sealant that is over sprayed when the body is painted.
The mid door roller stainless Chanel is fitted after the body is sprayed & carries the mid roller .

the mid roller sits in the stainless steel Channel , you can see the Chanel in photo #1, the rest of the chanel is obscured by the cover panel.

there is no moving part that can make contact with the panel where the light section is in your photo

see attached Mark up is this what you believe to be damage ?

7C1B236B-F630-45FC-8B44-EEE3DC5F3193.jpeg

It looks more like a proper scrape irl. It's parked under a tree, so it's badly lit for pics. Plus I looked for it as I heard a grinding noise. Agree it's weird.

I'll pop it to a dealership.

Normally when the slider drops it hits the bodywork (shell) directly behind the door (visible when the door is closed).

have a look at this thread for an example of what happens and how to fix it.

as I say I don’t believe your photo shows damage I believe you’ve just noticed the sealant when looking for the culprit.

if it helps I can take a photo of mine , which is the same colour, (to put your mind at rest) , you will see the sealant line which looks a different colour to the rest of the panel, I’m sure

has your door made the same noise again ?
is it working correctly As before ?

Thanks again for helping. I will look at the thread.

It's working fine now. Seems back to its happy self. :)

Just been out to check my van

see photo below showing the sealant which although it’s less pronounced than yours its similar (no damage )

hope that helps
16587EFB-5241-44BA-A14A-1893E2A54304.jpeg