Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate lock malfunction - locked shut

S

sdes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I know this has been raised previously, but can't see that there was a solution as such.

So, we are the proud owners of a not so new (2007) high mileage (117k, anyone out there with more?) but well cared for 174 4Motion. Very much looking forward to getting away in it after a few years of being camperless since out 1956 23 window was stolen. We viewed the van a couple of weeks ago, and the tailgate was definitely opening then as the seller was able to give us a full tour including the clever chair storage concealed in it.

Took delivery of it yesterday - and now not quite so keen on that clever bit of storage. The thing is we have not been ablee to open the tailgate, the problem has clearly occured in the past as there is a little chunk of the grey hardboard material next to the lock that has been cut away at some time to access the lock. Of course with two 'cleverly stored' chairs right next to the lock it is pretty much impossible to get any kind of access to the mechanism without damaging trim etc further.

I have question the sanity of the VW designers who didn't get as far as the 'and what happens if the tailgate lock fails' part of the design thinking - perhaps they just had supreme (if slightly misplaced) faith in German engineering. There is no sign of tailgate damage, it has never had a tow bar fitted so I don't think it is any kind of accident related failure.

Anyhow, three hours of rolling around on the floor in the back of the California trying to jam my hands through the tiny spaces left by the chairs to access the mechanism - having managed to unzip the fabric - was not quite how I pictured my introduction to the joys of California ownership. So, my question is, does anyone have any images of how this mechanism is supposed to look when correctly assembled?

I did find a steel link rod that was joined at the ball joint end but free at the other end - obviously this is not how it is supposed to be, but looking through the less than mousehole of access it is difficult to understand where the other end is suposed to go. Pressing the fob and turning the key in the lock manually both move things, but clearly not the right things that actually open the bloomin door!

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

not good news, I am afraid, take a look at this. :crazy

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1940

Even with the tailgate open removing the chair storage and door card, to get inside the tailgate, can be difficult. The Rivnuts can be prone to turning when you try to unscrew the screws that go through the tailgate door card. I had to drill out and replace some of mine with a larger size.

http://www.genright.com/images/products/RivNut_md.jpg

GOOD LUCK and please update us on how you get on.

John

Hello Stephen

I posted the original thread querying this a while ago, after I met someone who had dinged his tailgate which dislodged the connection. I was keen to avoid this happening to me or anyone else.

Subsequently, my brother and I dismantled the tailgate (a fiddly job but no real problems - and not too many washers lying around after re-assembly!) and I put some cord onto the release, which I then threaded outside and taped to the bottom of the tailgate - so in the event of the problem you describe, I could at least get in - thread is concealed by the bike rack I have fitted.

All of which is not much help to you here and now, I'm afraid. If I remember rightly, the ball joint end of the connector is fitted to the lock release - so if you can move the rod, it may open. Otherwise, no ideas, and my brother and I could not think of a way in. If you know EXACTLY where to drill, my brother suggested drilling a small hole in which enables you to trip the mechanism - and I wonder if the repair that has already been made gives a clue about that??

Out this evening so will not be able to keep up with this thread until tomorrow.

Yes, it is a major pain in the bum when it occurs.

Lewis

Well, the van went in for a service today - apparently needs a turbo seal and they will fix the lock at along with the service for £577, so I guess compared with the £1k just to fix the lock story I should be glad to have escaped so 'lightly'. Thanks for the messages, and yes. I will be installing a lifesaving piece of string in due course. It does strike me as slightly odd from a seafety perspective that there is no interior release - is it possible to fit one I wonder?

Stephen

Better news than might have been expected, Stephen!

Most not California conversions of the T5 vans leave the tailgate (or rear doors) more or less untouched, so the existing interior door release is still accessible. The door storage compartment makes access so much more difficult, as does the shelf, which when in situ, is very hard to remove or lift from inside.

And yes, I agree that this is a design weakness that makes practical operation of the vehicles in the longer term more difficult.

It would be good if you could chat up the mechanics (sorry, technicians) at the Van Centre to see how they got in, when you fetch the vehicle.

Lewis

...I believe the garage were able to gain access by removing the internal trim from below the rear window. The mechanism needed replacing , cost of part sub £18+VAT, cost of fitting £56+VAT, so thankfully well shy of the hundreds that seemed to be being quoted on the previous post.

Apparently this is a fairly regular failure on the T5, they have now secured a piece of 'emergency string' that can be used if it fails again. They also mentioned that there is a small white nylon part on the lock that can creep slightly over time and release the metal link rod, apparently a blob of araldite can help keep it located.

I will try to photograph at some point, but now thankfully it seems to be working as it should once more. And thanks for the posts here.

Stephen

Good news, Stephen - and a better result than others have had, who got landed with mega bills . . . .

Where does your 'emergency string' go?? Into the boot area so you can reach it from inside??

Thanks

lewis