Damp patch on ground under rear RHS

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Noticed this today, I’m hoping it’s just condensate from the a/c but it seems a strange location. It was coming out from behind the plastic wheel arch liner. Appeared to be colourless and odourless. I didn’t have the rear a/c turned on. Hadn’t driven through any water.

Has anyone else had this?

EF523D3D-4306-4795-A2EB-A1ECB47A29C1.jpeg

Noticed this today, I’m hoping it’s just condensate from the a/c but it seems a strange location. It was coming out from behind the plastic wheel arch liner. Appeared to be colourless and odourless. I didn’t have the rear a/c turned on. Hadn’t driven through any water.

Has anyone else had this?

View attachment 33729
Rear AirCon Heat Exchanger drainage. Switching on Rear AirCon only switches on the fans and adjusts the airflow temperature at the rear. Refrigerant still flows around the circuit as long as the AC is On.

The only other possibility is that Hot Coolant also circulates to the rear as well, but as the fluid is colourless and odourless, unlikely.

Had you topped up your water recently?
We had the same last week I had filled up the water tank until it overflowed. Drove down to the sea about 6 miles away and later found the same so put it down to top up water running around the inside of the bumper - never seen it before and surprised it seemed to take quite a while and distance to run out.

Rear AirCon Heat Exchanger drainage.
Thanks Paul, is there an other drain up front somewhere? There was no other water on the path ....

Had you topped up your water recently?
We had the same last week I had filled up the water tank until it overflowed. Drove down to the sea about 6 miles away and later found the same so put it down to top up water running around the inside of the bumper - never seen it before and surprised it seemed to take quite a while and distance to run out.
This is on the opposite side to the water tank, and haven’t put any water in for about 10 days, so I don’t think it’s that ....

I get that on damp or cool mornings (my drive is slightly sloped) but I dont have a rear ac? Nor do I have a water tank ;)

Last edited:
roof channel drain?

This is on the opposite side to the water tank, and haven’t put any water in for about 10 days, so I don’t think it’s that ....

obviously not that then, but our's had run across the van to the opposite side from the tank and just been filled.

I get the same. No water tanks and the rear drain comes out behind the tailgate. Never been able to locate the source but the rear air on makes sense as I run with A/C on all the time.

roof channel drain?
I don't think it's that, we've had no rain recently and the van had done an 80 mile drive so I think that would have been dry. Still a possibility I suppose ....

I get the same. No water tanks and the rear drain comes out behind the tailgate. Never been able to locate the source but the rear air on makes sense as I run with A/C on all the time.
Looks like a/c drain is favourite, but I would have expected to see one for the front a/c too ...

Looks like a/c drain is favourite, but I would have expected to see one for the front a/c too ...
I get it at the front also, leave the van running with the aircon on
for about 10 mins whilst stationary then move the van and
you´ll see it, middle of engine bay.

I cant see how its an ac drain if I get the same but I dont have rear ac...or could it be from the front ac?

There is a heat exchanger in there too? Although my rear heater has been set to coldest for months.

Thanks Paul, is there an other drain up front somewhere? There was no other water on the path ....

There is a front drain, central engine bay, but tends to drain much better when driving compared to rear.

It has been very humid in the UK recently, so the AC system would build up and drain off more condensate than in dryer weather.

Alan

Back