Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dare I drill a hole?

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I want to drill two 6mm holes into the metal panel on the side of the rear bench seat. To be clear, this is near to where there is already a similar sized hole - in fact the left-hand hole will be almost directly underneath it by about 4 inches, and the right-hand hole will be horizontally level with this about 4 inches across.

I know many people use the Brandrup pouches stuck on with double-sided tape and Velcro fixings, but I always find that they end-up slipping off - especially in the sun. And, anyway, I've made myself a little box to go here to hold sun-cream, soap and hand-gel bottles etc that for us will work much better. I've even bought some fixings that will protrude less than 2cm into the cavity that sits in there.

Has anyone done something similar?
More importantly, does anyone know if I might hit something important as I am drilling?

I want to drill two 6mm holes into the metal panel on the side of the rear bench seat. To be clear, this is near to where there is already a similar sized hole - in fact the left-hand hole will be almost directly underneath it by about 4 inches, and the right-hand hole will be horizontally level with this about 4 inches across.

I know many people use the Brandrup pouches stuck on with double-sided tape and Velcro fixings, but I always find that they end-up slipping off - especially in the sun. And, anyway, I've made myself a little box to go here to hold sun-cream, soap and hand-gel bottles etc that for us will work much better. I've even bought some fixings that will protrude less than 2cm into the cavity that sits in there.

Has anyone done something similar?
More importantly, does anyone know if I might hit something important as I am drilling?
1. The hole that is there at present is for releasing the seat from the rails.
2. Fixing something there will preclude moving the seat further back for any reason, without removing the box.
3. 2 cms protruding into the cavity might foul the draw/ seat mechanism.

This is an exploded drawing of the seat and mechanism. Take care.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl.../067/subcategory/67030/part_id/3707989/lang/e

I have a 1st Aid Kit in that position held on with double sided Velcro.

Last edited:
I have a 1st Aid Kit in that position held on with double sided Velcro.
I have a small fire extinguisher screwed to the side with one inch self tappers without any problems.

Thanks for the replies.
I've actually had another idea...
Fix the back of the box with Velcro to the side panel, but with the base of the box also resting on the carpet. In this way a heavy weight is supported by the floor without pulling-off the velcro. The adhesive on the Velcro strip should be strong enough to ensure the box moves with the seat, just brushing the carpet clean as it goes.

Thanks for the replies.
I've actually had another idea...
Fix the back of the box with Velcro to the side panel, but with the base of the box also resting on the carpet. In this way a heavy weight is supported by the floor without pulling-off the velcro. The adhesive on the Velcro strip should be strong enough to ensure the box moves with the seat, just brushing the carpet clean as it goes.
Just what I did with my 1st Aid Kit.:thumb

Back