Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dash mounted USB socket

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
I'm thinking my next small project will be a dash mounted dual USB socket, mounted within one of the spare switch blanks on the dash below the radio.

The blanks are only a couple of pounds from Banwy and probably one of these units https://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/12...ro-car-double-usb-flush-mount-socket-2168.htm

Thought it may be worth checking here first, has anyone else fitted one? Anyone know where the best point to connect this behind the dashboard would be?

I'll post up once I've got this in!

I looked at these before, if the fuse blows do you have to replace the whole thing?

You're looking at two different things. The Griffin is for plugging into a cigarette lighter socket whereas the RoadPro is designed to be wired in. Also you only have to read the customer reviews of the cheaper units to see that the is a lot of problems with them not working or becoming faulty very quickly and therefore not the value for money they appear. The Griffin product maybe fine. RoadPro are an outfit the does a lot of high-end work on trucks, coaches and motor-homes; they want to know that what their selling works, it's their reputation.

I looked at these before, if the fuse blows do you have to replace the whole thing?
It looks to me like the original fuse goes in the lower holes and whatever fuse you want for the additional take off goes in the upper ones, as long as between them they don't pull more than 20 amps. You should be able to replace either fuse if it blows. But I'm only guessing.

18hunts, obviously I realise that the devices are different - externally.... if you took them apart you'd find there is a 5v regulator in there and they are pretty much of a muchness, which implies that roadpro are asking the much higher price for you to fund their reputation. Just my opinion of course.

This was my solution to a USB socket.

Hole in the rear of the cubby hole with the wire fed through up behind the radio to a fuse wired into a lead from the leisure battery. Also fed the radion from the LB. The unit is held in place with a strip of double sided number plate mounting tape.
With the later Cali with the 12v socket on top of the dash the feed could be taken direct from the same wiring which goes to it through a suitable inline fuse.