Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

USB chargers in 12V socket

Arnie

Arnie

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi there
I am using adaptors for USB phone chargers in the 12V sockets that run off the leisure battery (ie the one next to the sink and one near back seat).
I know nothing about electronics. Can I leave the cables plugged in when not in use or will they drain the leisure battery?
Many thanks
Arnie

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Not draining very much at all, but if you're leaving your Cali parked up for a while, better to unplug?

Just make sure you're using good quality ones (whether or not you leave them plugged in). The current draw should be negligible. Leaving the cables plugged in won't make any difference. It's only when there is something connected (phone, camera etc) that the current draw will be significant.

Current draw may be low but I'd unplug as there is always the possibility of the adapter going faulty and starting a fire. Rare but...

Hi there
I am using adaptors for USB phone chargers in the 12V sockets that run off the leisure battery (ie the one next to the sink and one near back seat).
I know nothing about electronics. Can I leave the cables plugged in when not in use or will they drain the leisure battery?
Many thanks
Arnie

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

We leave ours plugged in all the time with no issues, but van is normally used on a daily basis.

Thanks for your replies.... I think I will take out when van is not being used and not worry about them if we are in there on a trip. It being lockdown we are spending a lot of time in there on the drive.....

Some of the 12v to usb adaptors have a small light included in the device. These will draw a very small amount of current. Best to unplug if not in use or if the van stands for longish periods.

I was concerned about the same battery drain, and didn't want to have to disconnect the adaptor when not in use. After reading this and many other threads, I decided to get a 12v USB charger (not adapter) with an on/off switch and replaced the 12v socket in the kitchen's cabinet for one containing USB-A and USB-C ports. In case anyone is interested in doing this themselves, I've put together a detailed guide on how I did it: https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/replace-vw-california-kitchen-12v-outlet-with-usb-ports-f5f6394d7993

This is what my kitchen looks like now:
IMG_5352.png

I was concerned about the same battery drain, and didn't want to have to disconnect the adaptor when not in use. After reading this and many other threads, I decided to get a 12v USB charger (not adapter) with an on/off switch and replaced the 12v socket in the kitchen's cabinet for one containing USB-A and USB-C ports. In case anyone is interested in doing this themselves, I've put together a detailed guide on how I did it: https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/replace-vw-california-kitchen-12v-outlet-with-usb-ports-f5f6394d7993

This is what my kitchen looks like now:
View attachment 94082

Thanks to @Maxi-Mizer-T6 I have just fitted a dual USB charger with switch and voltmeter to replace the cigarette lighter socket on the end of the kitchen. Dead pleased with the result:

44C1C71B-3E17-4225-A832-442DA38C945B.jpeg

Back