Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

USB Power Sockets

I

irlcwill

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
I have being looking for additional 12v power sockets in the van for a while now then realised most devices I have use USB ...... so, just finished fitting a double USB socket in the dash powered off the spare fuse in the leisure battery circuit. Worked out ok and can easily be reversed by fitting new blanks. That was the best USB socket i could find .....
tmp_29151-20160320_165001-301752970.jpg

Hi, I got it on ebay, they are from a Toyota vigo i think it was. Search for Toyota USB socket or similar on ebay. The switch is just a standard rocker switch for switching it on and off ..... the only other item was a small fuse for the fuse box. Can't remember what cable size i used but googling that should tell you. Hope that helps.

Hi, I got it on ebay, they are from a Toyota vigo i think it was. Search for Toyota USB socket or similar on ebay. The switch is just a standard rocker switch for switching it on and off ..... the only other item was a small fuse for the fuse box. Can't remember what cable size i used but googling that should tell you. Hope that helps.

Thanks.

John

Will be using it properly this weekend so will know then, but short tests on a phone are good. Reason i didnt want to just replace lighter socket as i wanted something off the leisure battery when parked up .... maybe i just have too much time on my hands !

Will be using it properly this weekend so will know then, but short tests on a phone are good. Reason i didnt want to just replace lighter socket as i wanted something off the leisure battery when parked up .... maybe i just have too much time on my hands !

Good point, I hadn't realised it was off the leisure battery.

Back from our time away and i can confirm it worked well and charged my Samsung S6 successfully each night.

Am now considering wiring the ligher socket off it rather than the starter battery. Cable is plenty big and it was nice not having to worry about a flat starter battery ....

If you are able to get leisure battery power to the dash, then isn't a double plug in socket (into the 12v cigarette lighter) a simpler solution? Better brands are available. The shop here did sell them.

socket.JPG

Last edited:
In hindsight yes, it would havevbeen much easier just to rewire the cigarette lighter, but where is the fun in that ...... With the amount of phones, tablets, cameras etc we have, i reckon you could never have enough usb sockets !!

If you are able to get leisure battery power to the dash, then isn't a double plug in socket (into the 12v cigarette lighter) a simpler solution? Better bands are available. The shop here did sell them.

View attachment 13041

That looks really nice, tho' I was trying not to cut any holes in the van, where did you locate the socket in the rear ??

QUOTE="pabloalfa76, post: 140100, member: 3939"]I have two sockets fitted in mine, 1 on the dash, and 1 by the table.

One was from Campervan Culture ( quite expensive ) the second was from co-star, very happy with the quality and price.
http://www.co-star.co.uk/prod/3853/usb-power-supply-twin-port-panel-mount.html[/QUOTE]

Back