Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Daylight Running Lights.

A

Alan Baxter

VIP Member
The offside DLR bulb on my 2016 is not working on my Ocean. I have searched these forums and I'm unable to locate a fuse diagram to assist. Any advice on where it is located?

The bulb replacement seems a very fidly job which I m not going to try...

The offside DLR bulb on my 2016 is not working on my Ocean. I have searched these forums and I'm unable to locate a fuse diagram to assist. Any advice on where it is located?

The bulb replacement seems a very fidly job which I m not going to try...
What do you hope to accomplish by removing the fuse?
The Dashboard light will still be on.

I read on a seperate thread that there were 2 fuses for the lights on each side of the vehicle. This may or may not be correct. If the offside fuse has blown it might not be the bulb...I want to replace the fuse not remove it!

Thanks, which one is the offside daylight running light..does it have a different name to those listed on the above?

The H7 looks the most likely..not LED s. When I gave the index to SMG Croydon they advised I had replaceable bulbs. I confirmed this with vw Pembroke Doc and purchased a couple of bulbs. Sadly my owners manual is dated 2015 and does not seem to identify the right bulb location. My vehicle is early 2016.

OK many thanks. That means its the bulb and due to where it is located I think it will be the garage doing the work....Deep joy!

OK many thanks. That means its the bulb and due to where it is located I think it will be the garage doing the work....Deep joy!
Halfords can supply and fit bulbs for a small charge. Also you could phone your Breakdown Service? “ Warning light on Dashboard, is it safe to drive?”

Last edited:
Offside is better than nearside as you can quite easily remove the Airfilter box to give you more room.

So, having visited Halfords they considered the job would take too long as it would require the removal of other components. I am now booked into VW smg, who will be replacing all the hard to reach bulbs..

So, having visited Halfords they considered the job would take too long as it would require the removal of other components. I am now booked into VW smg, who will be replacing all the hard to reach bulbs..
Worth a try. Sorry they couldn't help.

As Welshgas says replacing the bulb on the driver's side is fairly easy. On the air filter box there is a small plug and a large tube, disconnect both. Then the air filter cover is held on by 2 clips, one at the front one at the back. Unclip and lift out the cover. This will give you plenty of space to replace the bulb. Once replaced put everything back as you found it. Takes about 10 mins. Changing the bulb on the passenger side is a whole different ball game, last time took me an hour. This involved removing the battery - oh take care!

Just a word of caution....driving with a DRL out on the headlight module H7 will to a glancing eye look like you are indicating, as the angry white van man who pulled out in front of me said in not such a polite way. In my case, turning off the lights didn’t actually turn off the DRL, the only way was to turn the dipped beam on.

Anyways, I like the skin on the back of my hand so will be booking it in for a replacement bulb.

OK so after a failed attempt to get my van to VW Van Center...turns out the 8 am start for servicing written on the door actually means 8.30....anyways. Reading Wildcamper's info on the driver side DRL bulb replacement being relatively easy and using the manual Page 416 Fig 315 for H7 I gave it a shot. Came back to let you know how it went...

1. Don't bother messing with the light until the air filter box is off...once that is off you won't lose any skin on the back of your hands. I tried and lost.
2. To do this the little electrical clip...push the grey bit up and away from the clip and then wiggle off.
3. Screwdriver or small socket slacken jubilee clip.
4. Two clips, one in front of you and the other side of the box towards cab, flick them off.
5. Lift box up on the right side and slide to the right to get off. Now you can not only get a hand to the light you can get your head in to see.
6. Remove metal clip light cover and remove.
7. Refer to manual there is an extension piece already fitted to get the bulb out this needs to be turned anti-clockwise as looking at it from the back.
8. This should click round and be able to pull out, bit fiddling but persevere.
9. I replaced bulb with one I got from halfords W21W 582. Just make sure when putting the bulb in the holder that the metal contacts on the bulb are in the correct way and the contacts on the outside of the holder aren't damaged.
10. To replace just do the same but in the opposite order.

20220624_173310.jpg

20220624_171830.jpg

20220624_193828.jpg

20220624_171600.jpg

20220624_171419.jpg

20220624_171435.jpg

I see what the problem is here, it is a high wattage lamp in the great scheme of things, it is on continuously and if the contact on the lamp holder becomes loose or dirty a fair bit of heat is generated melting the lamp holder and you end up with the contact sinking into the plastic then it no longer works. Just happened to ours, lamp hadn't failed just the lamp holder, had the same issue with the brake lights on a mini.. Bend the tabs out a little before re-fitting the holder should be ok for another 50 thou !

Back