Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DC to DC converter on Leisure battery to charge powerbank

Mrgbd

Mrgbd

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi All,

I just bought a 1KW power bank to charge my e-bike etc on the go. It takes ages to charge it from the 12v socket (and it is getting very hot). I have seen overlanding video where they are using DC to DC converter to charge those batteries (by upping the voltage from 12 to 36v). Usually, they are wiring these directly to the alternator. Any chance I can wire one to my leisure AGM battery in the cupboard of my Ocean (with an isolator switch where not in use)? I am not very good with electricity and I do not want to mess up too much with it. I guess the risk is the discharge rate of the leisure battery + additional load on the alternator if I am sucking too much current?

Best,

Just buy another battery for the ebike ffs.

Hi All,

I just bought a 1KW power bank to charge my e-bike etc on the go. It takes ages to charge it from the 12v socket (and it is getting very hot). I have seen overlanding video where they are using DC to DC converter to charge those batteries (by upping the voltage from 12 to 36v). Usually, they are wiring these directly to the alternator. Any chance I can wire one to my leisure AGM battery in the cupboard of my Ocean (with an isolator switch where not in use)? I am not very good with electricity and I do not want to mess up too much with it. I guess the risk is the discharge rate of the leisure battery + additional load on the alternator if I am sucking too much current?

Best,

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. It won’t pull more amps than the AGM can handle with 36v upconvert which emulates a solar connection to the battery bank. Just make sure that the battery bank you have can support those watts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. It won’t pull more amps than the AGM can handle with 36v upconvert which emulates a solar connection to the battery bank. Just make sure that the battery bank you have can support those watts.

Thanks for the feedback! Do you know what would be the best place to fit it? I was thinking under the passager seat or in the battery compartment at the back (or in the cupboard if there is a grommet to pass the cables).

Best,

Thanks for the feedback! Do you know what would be the best place to fit it? I was thinking under the passager seat or in the battery compartment at the back (or in the cupboard if there is a grommet to pass the cables).

Best,

Unfortunately I don’t have a Cali, but a Westfalia Club Joker High Roof (based on VW Transporter LWB). The typical rule is to keep the cables to the batteries as short as possible to reduce voltage sag but I suspect not much of an issue with this setup. I’d probably install it under one of the seats myself. This would be the same area as my van and I’ve fit a lot under there. 2 MPPT’s, a CerboGX and a large BuckBoost DC-DC charger (100A). This keeps the power cable short and you probably would have the power bank between the seats?

Thanks for this, this is helpful and yes, I think we would want to put the power bank either between the seats or in the cupboard!

I have seen in other posts that there is a grommets allowing easy cables pass through between the two seats under the floor. I will try to find it and report back. I do not want to bolt anything to the vehicle so I would have to be creative to fix this. Also wondering how best to connect to the battery/ isolate the connection when not in use. Any tips is welcome.

Best,

Thanks for this, this is helpful and yes, I think we would want to put the power bank either between the seats or in the cupboard!

I have seen in other posts that there is a grommets allowing easy cables pass through between the two seats under the floor. I will try to find it and report back. I do not want to bolt anything to the vehicle so I would have to be creative to fix this. Also wondering how best to connect to the battery/ isolate the connection when not in use. Any tips is welcome.

Best,

I think that’s a channel/conduit between the seats to install 2 batteries in parallel. What I do with my MPPT’s is run the cables through the bottom front of the seat base. You could do that and wrap around to the middle. That cable should be pretty small. My MPPT’s there or only for when I need more of a solar boost than what I have on the roof so I use MC4 extensions out the window when needed.

Back