Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Options for Replacing Leisure Battery Charger on 2011 T5

P

PJHamlin

Lifetime VIP Member
Have been through all of the really useful diagnostics identified in previous threads (all fuses fine, confirmed 240V on input power plug, not output DC even when plugged in and 240V to sockets etc.) and concluded that the leisure battery charge is blown and needs to be replaced. Existing charger is under fridge, so considering locating replacement above rear leisure battery instead (especially if there's a way of doing that that avoids removing the fridge). Our fridge is an extremely tight fit - I can get it out but would prefer not to - so my thoughts are to leave the old charger where it is, but disconnected - then make-up some extension cables for 240v input and DC output from the existing connection points to the rear leisure battery enclosure and install the new charger there. Is that a good option, or will it prove to be even harder than simply replacing the existing charger where it is?

Would welcome thoughts and advice on the following:
1. What options should I consider for replacement chargers? Interested in any units that are smaller and/or easier to fit, and would ideally maintain feedback to control unit.
2. Options for routing cables from existing connections to the rear leisure battery enclosure (or re-routing the existing cables if that's easier) - again preference would be to avoid removing the fridge.
3. Is the DC output plug/socket (6 pins, grey and purple in my van) a common connector that's easy to source, and where can I get one from? I'll need this to create an extension cable from the rear to the existing connection point under the fridge.

Have been through all of the really useful diagnostics identified in previous threads (all fuses fine, confirmed 240V on input power plug, not output DC even when plugged in and 240V to sockets etc.) and concluded that the leisure battery charge is blown and needs to be replaced. Existing charger is under fridge, so considering locating replacement above rear leisure battery instead (especially if there's a way of doing that that avoids removing the fridge). Our fridge is an extremely tight fit - I can get it out but would prefer not to - so my thoughts are to leave the old charger where it is, but disconnected - then make-up some extension cables for 240v input and DC output from the existing connection points to the rear leisure battery enclosure and install the new charger there. Is that a good option, or will it prove to be even harder than simply replacing the existing charger where it is?

Would welcome thoughts and advice on the following:
1. What options should I consider for replacement chargers? Interested in any units that are smaller and/or easier to fit, and would ideally maintain feedback to control unit.
2. Options for routing cables from existing connections to the rear leisure battery enclosure (or re-routing the existing cables if that's easier) - again preference would be to avoid removing the fridge.
3. Is the DC output plug/socket (6 pins, grey and purple in my van) a common connector that's easy to source, and where can I get one from? I'll need this to create an extension cable from the rear to the existing connection point under the fridge.
1. Have you checked the Internal fuse in the Charger itself? It is to the side of the 240v input.

2. Your existing charger has lasted 11 yrs and the easiest way forward is just to replace it.

3. Many other makes of charger will work, but you would loose the charging indicator/information on the Control Panel.

1. Have you checked the Internal fuse in the Charger itself? It is to the side of the 240v input.

2. Your existing charger has lasted 11 yrs and the easiest way forward is just to replace it.

3. Many other makes of charger will work, but you would loose the charging indicator/information on the Control Panel.
Yes - I have checked and replaced the internal fuse on the charger (the old one disintegrated as I tool the fuse holder out, so not sure whether it was blown or not). But still not working with a new one fitted.

If I do a like-for-like replacement, do I need to go through VW, or are there alternative suppliers that anybody has any experience of?

Yes - I have checked and replaced the internal fuse on the charger (the old one disintegrated as I tool the fuse holder out, so not sure whether it was blown or not). But still not working with a new one fitted.

If I do a like-for-like replacement, do I need to go through VW, or are there alternative suppliers that anybody has any experience of?
I’m not aware of any aftermarket replacements that give the same functionality.