Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealer fit coilovers for T6.1 ocean

Lexlogie

Lexlogie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hello everyone, I know this has been discussed before but I’ve a new ocean 6.1 on order and I’m looking at having the suspension done via dealer. What are the dealer fit coilovers like (name and type)and with regards to warranty’s, what’s stoping you from sourcing the same type and fitting them yourself cheaper.

I had them fitted by the dealer on T6 few years ago. Eibach. They come with warranty and do not invalidate the overall vans warranty.
I wouldn’t fit anything else tbh unless it was out of warranty. Then I’d still go for eibach or a bilstien set up. KW etc.

Do dealers actually do coilovers or just springs (coils)?

Dealer fit Coilovers will be a top brand and fitted I'd guess at circa £2K.
I believe that they may not be that interested as still have a backlog of work due to Covid.
Warranty will probably be the Coilovers Manufacturers which is usually 1 year or some high mileage figure.

Only the Dealer can give a true answer.

Yes they fitted the whole kit, a JV VW/Eibach offering (in 2019, unsure if its still available now)
Came with one years parts and fitment warranty, and did not invalidate the warranty of the van, which was still in date 18 months when i bought them.
Cost was 2k+, and i had to wait a while to get them.
After fitting i took it to CRS performance and Steve kindly leveled it up correctly, or for my aesthetic/OCD requirement!

I'm looking into coilovers and have been speaking to Oli from Bognor Motors over on the T6 forum. The Eibach coilovers are a combination of Eiback springs and KW shocks with Eiback specific damping from what I understand. You can get the ST coilovers for a fraction of the cost and these are the same parts. I was concerned about the warranty but basically, the warranty would just transfer over to the KW warranty for the suspension. I would really recommend contacting Oli and having a chat, very good guy.

I had Steve at CRS fit Koni shocks and 40mm lower springs on my van. Also fitted T32 ARB whilst I was there.
It's transformed the handling tbh. No more huge body roll in the corners and a quieter more composed ride.
Not too bothered about warranty issues. Springs are lifetime warranty and shocks 2 years so takes it upto the same as the VW stuff.

Hello everyone, I know this has been discussed before but I’ve a new ocean 6.1 on order and I’m looking at having the suspension done via dealer. What are the dealer fit coilovers like (name and type)and with regards to warranty’s, what’s stoping you from sourcing the same type and fitting them yourself cheaper.
Consider adding Dynamic chassis control to your order if you still can. Works well for softening it up at the press of a dash button round town/on the motorway, or firming it (and the steering feel) up when pressing on. Good value.

I have Twin Adjust Projekt coilovers on my 6.1 Ocean, had them fitted less than a week after I picked her up from the dealer, they are a combination of Koni shocks and Eibach springs, great bit of kit.

I have Twin Adjust Projekt coilovers on my 6.1 Ocean, had them fitted less than a week after I picked her up from the dealer, they are a combination of Koni shocks and Eibach springs, great bit of kit.

Hi Abx, Transporter HQ have recommended these for my new cali ocean, how do you find them and who fitted the, for you?
What size wheels are you running?
Thanks
Tom

Consider adding Dynamic chassis control to your order if you still can. Works well for softening it up at the press of a dash button round town/on the motorway, or firming it (and the steering feel) up when pressing on. Good value.

I originally spec’d DCC but was advised that it wasn't compatible with aftermarket coilovers on the market other than a warranty compatible air ride system?

I originally spec’d DCC but was advised that it wasn't compatible with aftermarket coilovers on the market other than a warranty compatible air ride system?
True, but it is good in its own right

Hi Abx, Transporter HQ have recommended these for my new cali ocean, how do you find them and who fitted the, for you?
What size wheels are you running?
Thanks
Tom
Funnily enough it was THQ who supplied and fitted them for me, really happy with them and they are on their lowest setting, ride is as smooth as it was previously but all the fear of toppling over when hitting a corner a bit keen has gone. Running 20’s with a 35 profile tyre, which has obviously now compromised the ride, but I prefer it now personally.

A9F7027A-91C5-4D1E-AA0E-5CEE7D939A66.jpeg

C9C53056-E6E0-4C51-AB2B-5DA14B96D290.jpeg

Funnily enough it was THQ who supplied and fitted them for me, really happy with them and they are on their lowest setting, ride is as smooth as it was previously but all the fear of toppling over when hitting a corner a bit keen has gone. Running 20’s with a 35 profile tyre, which has obviously now compromised the ride, but I prefer it now personally.

View attachment 88138

View attachment 88139

Thanks for that, I think I will go with THQ - as they seem to know what they are doing. The stance on your cali looks spot on, I am trying to decide between 20” BBS SX’s or the new 18” sportlines. The thought process is that the 18’s will be easier to live with but the 20’s just look right!

Reactions: Abx
Nice looking Cali. What wheels do you have?

View attachment 88138

View attachment 88139
@Abx are you running 102 load rated tyres? Does your “Type Plate“ on the inside of your drivers door quote Gross Vehicle Weight at 3080kg?
Mine does (2022 4motion), was wondering whether i need 102 or 104 load rated tyres.

@Abx are you running 102 load rated tyres? Does your “Type Plate“ on the inside of your drivers door quote Gross Vehicle Weight at 3080kg?
Mine does (2022 4motion), was wondering whether i need 102 or 104 load rated tyres.
Hi, yes running 102 load rated Goodyear Eagle F1’s, load plate under bonnet shows 3080kg too. Olly at Bognor Motors recommend and supplied tyres and knows his stuff and is always happy to advise on the T6 forum.

102 load is OK but not much spare load capability, go for as high a load rating as possible for your tyre size as they will stand up to potholes etc better.

102 = 850kgs
103 = 875kgs
104 = 900kgs

you need to look at each axle load requirement not the van grosse figure

my 4M has 1620kgs front axle rear 1575kgs which means that an absolute minimum tyre load is 810kgs per tyre for the front axle.
Think of the potential load on a tyre if you drive onto a kerb when deciding on tyre loading.

Thanks, they are Judd 311r’s.
Hi, apologies, I'm unable to message you directly so posing on this thread.
I wanted to ask you about your Judd wheels and what are your thoughts on them now you have been running them for some time?

Can you also advise what offset you have and do you have any issues with clearance etc?

Much appreciated,
Mark

Hi, apologies, I'm unable to message you directly so posing on this thread.
I wanted to ask you about your Judd wheels and what are your thoughts on them now you have been running them for some time?

Can you also advise what offset you have and do you have any issues with clearance etc?

Much appreciated,
Mark
Hi

Have been really happy with the Judds, a few minor chips to the paint after 15k miles but to be fair it’s been up and over the Alps and in numerous NT car parks, always spotted quickly so I’ve touched up to stop them getting worse.

As for offset I had these custom made in:

Front 9x20 et45
Rear 9x20 et35

Fronts rub a little in reverse on full lock but I am dropped 70mm on coils so to be expected, I’d rather that than they poke out a few mm as I’m not keen on the look when the fronts poke out and the rears sit in, as is often the case with many off the shelf wheels that run the same width and offset front to rear.

Hope that helps.

Hi

Have been really happy with the Judds, a few minor chips to the paint after 15k miles but to be fair it’s been up and over the Alps and in numerous NT car parks, always spotted quickly so I’ve touched up to stop them getting worse.

Front 9x20 et45
Rear 9x20 et35

Fronts rub a little in reverse on full lock but I am dropped 70mm on coils so to be expected, I’d rather that than they poke out a few mm as I’m not keen on the look when the fronts poke out and the rears sit in, as is often the case with many off the shelf wheels that run the same width and offset front to rear.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the feedback. Did you get then from Bognor Motors and di Judd do the custom offset?

Hi

Front 9x20 et45
Rear 9x20 et35

Hope that helps.
Are you aware that any rubbing (or signs of) is an MOT fail?

Are you aware that any rubbing (or signs of) is an MOT fail?
Technically yes but so minimal and only on one side that they’d have to be a real jobsworth to fail, worst case is I just wind the coilovers up 10mm and sorted.

Back