Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealer fit options: A cautionary tale

craigt

craigt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I purchased my Cali in October 2014 and due to house move and work commitments I've only managed to clock up a measly 14k since then. So, last week it gets its first service in Glasgow VW centre. I'm advised that the front tyres, despite showing a very healthy tread depth kerbside, are through to canvas on the inside and that the tracking is wildly out. The vehicle hasn't been damaged or suffered any major pothole incidents that could have possibly knocked the tracking out to this degree. Tyres and tracking c£340. The 'arguable' but highly likely reasoning for this fault is that when the van got the dealer fit option of lowering springs, the tracking wasn't set up afterwards. I put this to the dealer I purchased from and they're not interested in assisting in any way. Tried the VW customer services route, but no joy there. I'm likely having to cover the cost of this shoddy workmanship.

Headlights are too high: VW centre suggest it's because the van is lowered, that the Xenon lights are factory set and auto adjusted, they now whine too high. Again, I'm likely having to shell out for this adjustment as I can't prove I've not adjusted them higher. :-0 ?

Faulty front parking sensors: Apparently the cali has two options for the sportline bodykit. (I can't get any one to confirm whether the model with parking sensors has cut outs for the sensors in the bodykit) This cost me the best part of a grand at the selling dealer and has given faulty readings since driving out of the forecourt. (I originally pout it down to a bug splatted, so thought I'd get home, clean it, then try it out again). I believe the fix for this will be a sharp knife and some touch up paint as selling dealer not interested in assisting.

I was keen to buy a cali at the time and I sort of did know that purchasing from 400miles away was going to come back and bite me, especially when the how to empty water tank response was "just keep running the tap until the pump changes tone and no more water is coming out", I did sort of know that the forum and handbook would be the true source of information.

Thankfully and after a few hundred extra pounds that i didn't think I had to spend, the van will be returned this week with most of the faults rectified at my expense. Poor after sales service indeed. ...and the dealer is: Robinson of Norwich. My concenrs are not just for the cost of my tyres, but the fact I travel with family in this vehicle and the state of the tyres for a 'factory fresh' model should never have been allowed to leave the workshop without tracking checked after the fitment of lowering springs. I'd probably have recevied 3points per tyre too, let alone risking a motorway blowout! Thanks for nothing guys! A very sobering thought.

PS: the guys at Baillieston (Glasgow) have been very helpful by speaking with Norwich and VW direct, but sadly to no direct benefit to me.

October 2014 until August 2016 is a long time not to check the tyres. there has been several posts over the past few years where owners have missed inner tyre tread wear. I try to get down and give my tyres a good visual check at least once a month.

October 2014 until August 2016 is a long time not to check the tyres. there has been several posts over the past few years where owners have missed inner tyre tread wear. I try to get down and give my tyres a good visual check at least once a month.
Yes, it does seem a long time, but I do check the tyres regularly, the amount of tread on the outside suggested it'd be like that across the whole tyre. There's a lesson there for me too.

All be it sore. I would put it all right and start a relationship with a new van centre. One that gets great feedback before and after sales.

Vehicles with sportier handling often wear the inside of the treads, because the wheels are sometimes cambered slightly to enhance grip. Worth checking its not just tracking, is camber ok too?. Could it be the case with a sportline setup and lower springs is similar? My alfa was awful for shredding the inner edges but that was why it handled as well as it did. Wear will also depend on how you drive too if you drive hard into corners, that kind of wear isn't unusual on a sporty setup.

I learned my lesson with that alfa to check the inner edge when checking my tyres. I actually got down to the metal on the two front once, without me realising it was low. Over time I could tell by feel when it was starting to wear. I was lucky not to get 6 points and a fine, luckier still I didn't have a blow out. I never got the camber altered because I knew the cornering would be effected.

With regards to the other stuff like lights, you could ask them to prove that they adjusted the lights when fitting the suspension. Do you have any receipts or paperwork for that? Seems just as reasonable for them to answer that as them suggesting you adjusted them after. A new vehicle doesn't have MOT for 3 years and I suspect that's the first time any vehicle owner would identify that lights are too high when it gets failed.

Sad to hear you havent had a good experience with the dealer, hopefully the new one will form a good relationship with you.

Excessive inner tyre wear is the reason VW stopped lowering the official T5 Sportlines, yet they will still supply and fit the springs as an after market extra - figure that one out!

I've done 30 K miles on my Sportline & never had any issues with inner tyre wear ??

Remember there will be gross weight differences between vans and calis, which will have a bearing

My Cali was bought (not new) described as 'lowered 30mm on sportline Springs' - do I need to worry? I can't physically get down to inspect the inside of the tyres but I can ask my tyre man to check!

Yep, its a 2012 genuine Sportline
Do you know if the camber is adjustable, I'm guessing not? I fitted Sportline -30's last week so a trip to the tyre shop sounds in order for a tracking/caster check.

Do you know if the camber is adjustable, I'm guessing not? I fitted Sportline -30's last week so a trip to the tyre shop sounds in order for a tracking/caster check.
Have you got before and after pics @Pete M ?
I'm thinking about it for my new Cali.

Not just the looks, but a much better ride I'm my opinion.