Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealer fitted dash cams

Racing 47

Racing 47

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have been following recent chats about dash cams but all of the content seems to be about fitting them yourself. However the fitting seems to be beyond my practical or technical skills, so thinking of getting my local dealer (Birmingham) to fit the Kenwood front and rear ones. Recognise there are probably better dash cams available but Kenwood is the VW approved one so happy to go with them. My question is, has anyone had the dealer fit option and any comments, particularly the fitting of the rear camera and possible problems in damage to fixtures/fittings to connect the wiring. Also, and this may sound basic but we have only been the proud owners of our van for 6 months so still a lot to learn, can you still use the front and rear blinds with the cameras in place ? Told you it was basic ! Any thoughts/comments much appreciated.

I have recently had the front one fitted, to fit the rear one was expensive, around 1k I think they quoted as it’s lots of labour, so I said no to that. The front camera seems ok but the Kenwood app is not as it doesn’t connect to it, for anybody according to reviews.

I asked my local VW dealer for a price to fit the Dashcam. They quoted less for the front and rear camera fitting (£126). However, they need to check about the wiring when I pointed out that the camera relied on a permanent live rather than a switched live (which they'd intended). This is because of 'Parking Mode', where the G force sensor in the camera triggers the switching on of the camera when there's an impact to the parked vehicle. I also sent them a copy of the manual where Kenwood state the permanent live connection is required. They're checking this and then getting back to me. I recommend you do the same with whoever you decide to do the work.

Sorry - correction! £216, not £126, for front and rear camera fitting

Halfords charge a realistic price for the unit and only £35 to fit it

I have been following recent chats about dash cams but all of the content seems to be about fitting them yourself. However the fitting seems to be beyond my practical or technical skills, so thinking of getting my local dealer (Birmingham) to fit the Kenwood front and rear ones. Recognise there are probably better dash cams available but Kenwood is the VW approved one so happy to go with them. My question is, has anyone had the dealer fit option and any comments, particularly the fitting of the rear camera and possible problems in damage to fixtures/fittings to connect the wiring. Also, and this may sound basic but we have only been the proud owners of our van for 6 months so still a lot to learn, can you still use the front and rear blinds with the cameras in place ? Told you it was basic ! Any thoughts/comments much appreciated.
I appreciate that this post was from a while back, but I too have the same ‘basic’ question about fitting rear cam and the rear blind. Did you ever get your answer. Searched all threads but couldn’t find any trace of the same query, other than yours…..

Hope you can help?

I appreciate that this post was from a while back, but I too have the same ‘basic’ question about fitting rear cam and the rear blind. Did you ever get your answer. Searched all threads but couldn’t find any trace of the same query, other than yours…..

Hope you can help?
I have had front and rear dash cam fitted by main dealer. I had my first night away at the weekend and the rear blind worked fine with the wiring there.
It was a bit fiddly at first closing the blind but that could be because it’s the first time I have used them.
I recommend the dealers to fit them as I had Halfords fit my previous dash cam on my car and the phone speaker never worked properly after they were fitted.

I have had front and rear dash cam fitted by main dealer. I had my first night away at the weekend and the rear blind worked fine with the wiring there.
It was a bit fiddly at first closing the blind but that could be because it’s the first time I have used them.
I recommend the dealers to fit them as I had Halfords fit my previous dash cam on my car and the phone speaker never worked properly after they were fitted.
Thanks for quick response

Any chance of a picture on how the camera is fixed that does not get in the way of the blind.

Hope you can help?
Hi,
We went ahead and had dealer fit front and rear dash cams and cable for rear dash cam comes out of the overhead locker close to the bracket used to attach window blind when closed and as alluded to by Doz it does make closing the blind a bit fiddly but nothing to put you off from having one fitted.3E3861DC-EEF7-4B5D-B8CF-F4DC11E4F510.jpeg

Hi,
We went ahead and had dealer fit front and rear dash cams and cable for rear dash cam comes out of the overhead locker close to the bracket used to attach window blind when closed and as alluded to by Doz it does make closing the blind a bit fiddly but nothing to put you off from having one fitted.View attachment 95295

98E48B36-0FCB-40F6-99EB-584F030B43C4.png

AD4909C2-06E3-4CF4-81B9-65314F873199.png

C01AFBE8-A64B-4EF2-AB97-5A7869E43DC4.png

5A896E50-89A7-4C15-9301-CA2A29A3AB3A.png

No need for the exposed cable routed through the locker if the fitter knows what he/she is doing. My Blackvue front and rear dashcams were installed by SatNav Systems in Surbiton. The only visible wiring is adjacent to the cameras. Neither camera interferes with the use of the fitted blinds. Wiring for the rear camera is routed through the rubber grommet that has existing wiring in it.

0B2BC6EE-3C19-485E-9526-43D78B7F0ADF.jpeg

35276697-4A2A-41ED-BBF7-D20500E7C8BE.jpeg

B54AE121-C15A-493A-9E0B-2ED0470F46F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi. I had Kenwood front and rear dashcams dealer fitted and there was no exposed cable routing (with the rear dashcam fitted at the top of the window). Sorry but no pictures possible as my Cali is in for its service at the moment. The front was fitted for £100 by one dealer and the rear was included in the fitting by another dealer of a towbar as the cable run for the dashcam and for the towbar electrics. I was told that there are two possible cable routes from the front to the rear, one being through the kitchen unit area (with this being need to be at least loosened, if not removed) and the other under the floor somewhere (without exposing the cables underneath). I had previously had a quote for about £600 for fitting the rear dashcam and had made do with a separate dashcam (not connected to the front one) that was powered by the 12V socket in the boot. I just had to remember to unplug it if I was leaving the vehicle standing for a while to prevent leisure battery drain (and plug it in again before driving it again!).

No need for the exposed cable routed through the locker if the fitter knows what he/she is doing. My Blackvue front and rear dashcams were installed by SatNav Systems in Surbiton. The only visible wiring is adjacent to the cameras. Neither camera interferes with the use of the fitted blinds. Wiring for the rear camera is routed through the rubber grommet that has existing wiring in it.

View attachment 95304

View attachment 95305

View attachment 95306
That looks very neat. I have the black vue dash cam which I removed from my my car when I sold it. I wanted to fit them in the van but the dealer only offered the Kenwood.
I thought I would get dealer to fit the dash cam so it would be ready when I collected it and because of warranty.

Thanks for the install pictures and possible cable routes, much appreciated, will discuss fitting with my dealer nearer the time, but still waiting on a build date