Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Decided to powder coat my T6 bike rack

There’s one near me in Livingston,
Able Platers LTD, gets good reviews,
I’m be sure to post the final outcome,
whatever it may be !!!

Last edited:
I had mine powder coated just under a year ago and it does chip quite easily. Wish I had known about anodising!!

There’s one near me in Livingston,
Able Platers LTD, gets good reviews,
I’m be sure to post the final outcome,
whatever it may be !!!

Just been to Able Platers,
their tanks are too small :(
I’m having a nightmare trying to find someone in Scotland who has tanks big enough !!!

Any help would be appreciated

Just been to Able Platers,
their tanks are too small :(
I’m having a nightmare trying to find someone in Scotland who has tanks big enough !!!

Any help would be appreciated
I definitely seen one in Scotland I’m sure it was called colour anodisers???

I definitely seen one in Scotland I’m sure it was called colour anodisers???
I must have phoned 7 or 8 places today, most pointed me back to Able Platers, most stayed that their tanks are for small components,
I’m still waiting on FST getting back to me, If not I might need to venture south of the border !!!
I thought stripping the rack would be the hard part :)

I must have phoned 7 or 8 places today, most pointed me back to Able Platers, most stayed that their tanks are for small components,
I’m still waiting on FST getting back to me, If not I might need to venture south of the border !!!
I thought stripping the rack would be the hard part :)
Me too..
That was the hardest part for me!!!!
I Must of fell lucky first one I contacted did it no problem
Why don’t you post it to them???
wrap it well in bubble wrap I’m sure they would post it back around it comes back in bubble wrap after they finish it..if you need the name let me know
They have experience in doing these too..

Me too..
That was the hardest part for me!!!!
I Must of fell lucky first one I contacted did it no problem
Why don’t you post it to them???
wrap it well in bubble wrap I’m sure they would post it back around it comes back in bubble wrap after they finish it..if you need the name let me know
They have experience in doing these too..
If you’ve got the name handy send it on,
I’ll give them a phone and see what they say.

Cheers

There u go
It seems the one I went too was called colour anodising lol I thought that name rang a bell

Yep ;) but it was almost 2 years ago

All you need is a large bath, a battery, some jump leads, a black dye anodising kit and a sympathetic Mrs :thumb

Seriously, what are you getting quoted for anodising?

Just wondering if anyone has tried Plasti-Dip on the whole rack and if so what the results were? Too much of a coward to start drilling out rivets etc on my T5 rack. :Nailbiting

Just wondering if anyone has tried Plasti-Dip on the whole rack and if so what the results were? Too much of a coward to start drilling out rivets etc on my T5 rack. :Nailbiting
Plasti-Dip would just rub off, it doesn’t set anywhere as hard as powder coating,
Stripping the rack was the easy part, honest !!
Im still trying to find someone in the uk with tanks big enough to dye the rack black, Colour Anodising near Manchester have told me there wasn’t enough business to justify the deep tanks and put me into Dove Anodising, but they’re 800mile round trip for me so I guess it’ll be off to the powder coaters for me :(

Plasti-Dip would just rub off, it doesn’t set anywhere as hard as powder coating,
Stripping the rack was the easy part, honest !!
Im still trying to find someone in the uk with tanks big enough to dye the rack black, Colour Anodising near Manchester have told me there wasn’t enough business to justify the deep tanks and put me into Dove Anodising, but they’re 800mile round trip for me so I guess it’ll be off to the powder coaters for me :(
Really that’s not good!!!!
I better keep hold of this rack then because I won’t be able to do one again

@Jay20cali - Apologies for reviving an old thread. Hows your's standing up against the course of time? Getting my rack later this week, and keen to do the same.
Hi kallista
No problem happy to help
I had it on my last cali aswell as my new 6.1 it’s still absolutely as new . Anodising is definitely the best way to go.

Hi kallista
No problem happy to help
I had it on my last cali aswell as my new 6.1 it’s still absolutely as new . Anodising is definitely the best way to go.

Great to know. I'll probably fit mine in the first instance as standard, but definitely have it as a Christmas present to myself in a few months!!

I'm just outside of Colchester, so for me, Thetford is next door (in the grand scheme of things!!!)

Hi we are just in the process of doing, where did you get the right size of rivets in black? And what size do we need to get?