Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW bike rack rust / paint problems...

M

Mitch

Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
Hi guys

I recently a purchased a second hand VW bike rack and have fitted and used it with no problems, it's great - get one if you haven't already!

However, I have noticed that the clips that hold it to the top of the tailgate have started to lose their paint / powder coating and the screws have rusted.

Anyone else had similar problems? Any recommendations on paint?

Any advice appreciated as always!

It's because VW were cheap (get away with what they can) and the brackets are not galvanised nor did they use stainless steel fixings and bolts. Best to replace these if you can with SS.

Any recommendations on paint?
Get some combi-colour black satin finish paint no need for primer it's a primer and finish in one tin.

Think available in spray but I use the brush on one find it easier than spraying.

I've just had to replace the longest arm, with clamp at the end, because the thread had seized with rust and I broke it trying to free it up. Cost from the dealers- £63!!!!! Got the rack new with the van in September 2010.

I've since applied copper grease to all three arms following advice from the here - for which many thanks.

I've just had to replace the longest arm, with clamp at the end, because the thread had seized with rust and I broke it trying to free it up. Cost from the dealers- £63!!!!! Got the rack new with the van in September 2010.

I've since applied copper grease to all three arms following advice from the here - for which many thanks.
Ian E thats worrying. Any chance you could post a photograph of where you greased. There is a high chance I wouldn't notice this as I will in the main only use one arm.

Many thanks

f2b82ed72455efc63297eed3edc33516.jpg

Hi Mike - hope this works! It's basically the thread on each of the arms. Indeed the arm I had to replace was the one I use the least.

Thinking about it, I'll do a separate post to highlight the issue for others as I expect it will be a common issue.

Cheers

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking about it, I'll do a separate post to highlight the issue for others as I expect it will be a common issue.
Yes common problem if not used very often. Had to get the threads recut on mine . Now use copper grease and check at least yearly.

Ian, Brilliant. Thanks. Just copper greased and oiled all of those parts.... Signs of rust in just weeks. I will now try to remember and do this every year.

The forum is brilliant for things like this. Thanks.