Change of tyres on 4Motion

Bryan2411

Bryan2411

2014 SE
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello,
Apologies for question, I have searched and can’t find what I think I’m looking for. I’m clearly no tyre expert and there seems to be all kinds of formulas for sizing and matching etc.
We have a 2014 T5.1 4motion on 235/55R17s.
Our tyres are soon due for replacement. Having looked at the tyre models out there I will be going for Michelin Crossclimate SUVs. We don’t need true off road tyres, but the flexibility and legality of these all seasons.
What is the view on going for a narrower tyre, it seems like an opportunity to get a few more MPG (+10%ish) and save a few quid on the sizing.
I recall narrower tyres are better on snow and the 235 can’t take snow chains? So if we did meet winter conditions (Alps, Norway etc) would they be a safer buy. Would there be much difference on grassy fields and mud?
On the downside ride seems to get a bit harder.
So what would be the optimum cross climate tyre size be?
225/65 R17 V (106) and is this legal?
Or stick with 235/55 R17 V (103)
Has anyone done this?
TIA

I have the narrower size on Goodyears Vectors because of snow chain capability. Haven't notice a harder ride.

Been no problem on slippery grass

Narrow tyres are better on snow (think old VW beetle) as tbey act like an ice skate by concentrating the weight, You need the opposite on soft sand!

Hello,
Apologies for question, I have searched and can’t find what I think I’m looking for. I’m clearly no tyre expert and there seems to be all kinds of formulas for sizing and matching etc.
Our tyres are soon due for replacement. Having looked at the tyre models out there I will be going for Michelin Crossclimate SUVs. We don’t need true off road tyres, but the flexibility and legality of these all seasons.
What is the view on going for a narrower tyre, it seems like an opportunity to get a few more MPG (+10%ish) and save a few quid on the sizing.
I recall narrower tyres are better on snow and the 235 can’t take snow chains? So if we did meet winter conditions (Alps, Norway etc) would they be a safer buy. Would there be much difference on grassy fields and mud?
Has anyone done this?
TIA
The 65/R17 will give your a larger rolling radius by about 5% I think. I don’t have Crossclimate but I do currently have 245/65 R17 and they (just) fit with no rubbing so your former option should be fine. It has affected the speed on the speedo a little it now reads closer to GPS speed than it did before. I believe my van is also a bit taller now (something to consider). I also carry a compressor which allows me to air down and back up depending on off-road conditions. Loss of traction on wet grass and mud can often be mitigated by reducing the pressure in the tyre to gain a big fat pad in contact with the ground.

Hello,
Has anyone done this?
TIA
I saw nobody using snow chains in Norway. If you are heading into the arctic circle, proper winter tyres are essential. I had all season tyres on initially and they just did not work well at all. My wheels are 255 wide and they were fine in the snow on my 2WD van with the winter tyres fitted.

I saw nobody using snow chains in Norway. If you are heading into the arctic circle, proper winter tyres are essential. I had all season tyres on initially and they just did not work well at all. My wheels are 255 wide and they were fine in the snow on my 2WD van with the winter tyres fitted.
I think the Norwegians prefer studs to chains.

4 season tyres are fine for the UK and the beginning and end of the winter season in more northern countries that have a proper winter but proper winter tyres are the norm in the depths of winter.

I think the Norwegians prefer studs to chains.
They have to pay a road toll entering some cities if they have studded tyres fitted, and I was told when changing mine that if they are used on non icy roads the studs wear out quickly, many of them just use studless winter tyres.
I’m changing my tyres again now, for Michelin cross climates here in Sweden, and I was told that All Season tyres are not a recognised thing a Scandanavia.

Full winter tyres are of course the best option but youll need two sets of wheels, the faff of changeover, storage etc. Nordic & Alpine countries set up for it and I believe Inverness & Fort William have tyre ‘garages’.

225/65/17 will have snow chain clearance problems due to increased overall diameter of the tyre.

If you feel that going narrower is to your benefit and still be able to use snow chains then the 215/60/17.

Michelin Agilis would fit the bill. £40 off a set from Blackcircles currently.

Has anyone done this?
TIA
Why not use the standard option tyre size of 215/60/17? (as per your tyre label on the door reveal)

Why not use the standard option tyre size of 215/60/17? (as per your tyre label on the door reveal)
My error, thanks for pointing it out. Quite right on the 215/60/17s.

I have the Michelin Agilis Crossclimates on my beach in 215/60 r17 and they are great. Chunky tread but not too chunky and designed for commercial vehicle as opposed to a car.
video review here if you‘re interested on my YouTube channel
Best Campervan Tyres

I have the Michelin Agilis Crossclimates on my beach in 215/60 r17 and they are great. Chunky tread but not too chunky and designed for commercial vehicle as opposed to a car.
video review here if you‘re interested on my YouTube channel
Best Campervan Tyres
Thanks JT. I’ve seen your video, thanks for putting it together. Did you notice any difference in ride quality or increased noise?

bandenmaten.jpg
Those are the possible tyre sizes for my van. This is from my official certificate of conformity (<- ?).
My van should have (on paper) 205/65R16, but it was delivered with 215/65R16. That is why the 205 isn't mentioned, and the 215 is. It should be the other way round.
So for 17" we have 215/60 and 235/55.

Thanks JT. I’ve seen your video, thanks for putting it together. Did you notice any difference in ride quality or increased noise?
No problem. Ride quality is fine, they can run at higher pressures as they are Commercial rated. Even at 50psi ride is ok. Noise seems Less than the continental all season tyres I had on previously, and is certainly not an issue for me.

View attachment 60456
Those are the possible tyre sizes for my van. This is from my official certificate of conformity (<- ?).
My van should have (on paper) 205/65R16, but it was delivered with 215/65R16. That is why the 205 isn't mentioned, and the 215 is. It should be the other way round.
So for 17" we have 215/60 and 235/55.
Hi, I'm trying to figure this out...the door sticker on my van (2014 Beach) has those options, and it was delivered with the specified 215/65R16Cs on 6.5Jx16 steel wheels. I don't know, it is possible that my Beach has a higher load rating that an SE/Ocean because it's a 7 seater, and let's face it, those extra three seats (and their occupants!) are heavy, but I don't understand the part about your van should (on paper) have 205/65R 16s. What am I missing, is that size listed somewhere? That seems like a small size for an SE.

Last edited:
This is what my van should be delivered on (on paper):
banden.jpg
It came on 215/65 R16C 100/102H on steel wheels with nice wheel covers (not).

Back