Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

delivery mileage

D

Danusch

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi, my new cali arrived last week but I won't be able to collect it until next week. I asked the dealer to send me a video and I believe I saw 29 miles already on the dash. is that normal? what a reasonable delivery mileage would be? I'd love to know what you think,...many thanks!!

Mine had 9 miles. (T6.1 Beach collected beginning March).

When I got my Phaeton new in 2007, the dealer told me that they can run it for up to 30 miles to perform various tests and then reset it to zero prior to delivery. It can only be done once. Maybe this is similar?

When I got my Phaeton new in 2007, the dealer told me that they can run it for up to 30 miles to perform various tests and the reset it to zero prior to delivery. It can only be done once. Maybe this is similar?
thanks, I guess I'll find out next week

I would be a bit suspicious myself. It may have had a thorough road test at the factory but 29 miles seems a lot. Check it carefully and ask for an explanation before accepting it. If it’s been used for a demo drive for another customer I would be asking for a goodwill gesture.

They might just have sent a driver to collect your van from a storage facility, rather than wait for a car transporter which would have delayed your delivery further.

Every new car that Ive bought has had around 20miles on it when picked up. Latest van was on 26 until it was moved between dealers.
29miles sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I wouldn't worry, the dealer might give you a "reason" but that won't necessarily be what actually happened. You would have to try very hard to do some damage in 30 miles which could also have been done in 10 miles.

What I should have added is that if it was my vehicle I would also be a little miffed that it had slightly higher delivery miles. However if you are really concerned, and cancelled the order, the dealer will easily sell that vehicle to another person - demand is probably still very high.

These are commercial vans designed for years of abuse by delivery drivers who probably give them a good thrashing. Your average Cali will be treated nicely so a few extra delivery miles should not be a great cause of concern, but granted it could feel like someone else has enjoyed your van before you! Once you have collected it you will soon forget it had 29 miles. :thumb

From the production Line & before you get it:

Driven from line to yard
From yard to transporter
Transporter to yard at docks
from dock onto boat
from boat to dockyard
from dockyard to transporter
transporter to dealers yard
In & out of workshop for preparation
To petrol station for fuel hopefully.

Thats assuming the dealer doesn't have some sort of central group holding yard. If you are lucky you will only be the 10th person to drive the van! Easy to see how it could do a few miles without actually going anywhere.

Hi Danush

I would not let the 29 miles worry you too much or spoil you big day,

agree with comments above

if it bothers you, ask the dealer to reset the Odometer to Zero, after you have Inspected it fully.

it’s as simple as plugging In a computer and hitting a button.

don’t forget to post some pictures

Mine came still wrapped up from the factory with 16kms on the clock.

As long as its under the Dealership, i think it should be fine. Ours had 18KMS on it when we took delivery on Friday and almost 900kms as of date but whos countin ?

thanks all, I just wanted to hear about your experiences and they all sound very reasonable. I will probably ask them to reset to 0 but I'll never cancel the order after been waiting for some many months! :)

I often pass the port of Pasaia where the VWs get shipped out from the Pamplona factory, and Mercedes from Vitoria. It's enormous, there must be a couple or three miles from where they are unloaded from the train to the queue at the port.

In the old days, some car were delivered to the dealer with the speedo disconnected and wired up when the car was at the dealership.

I think a lot of people with Cali's on order for six months plus, will only be too pleased just to be able to have their Cali ready to collect, regardless to it having a few miles on the clock. Chill out !

I think you need to take a look at just how big the port of Emden is. From where the train pulls In. To where the van could be stored before driviy into the ship. The same happens when it gets to Grimsby. I've been to the port of Emden many times it's huge!

Hi, my new cali arrived last week but I won't be able to collect it until next week. I asked the dealer to send me a video and I believe I saw 29 miles already on the dash. is that normal? what a reasonable delivery mileage would be? I'd love to know what you think,...many thanks!!
Ours had 26 miles and it was a pre reg cali 4 months old when it came to us

Good afternoon,

In November 2017 we bought our California as a demo model with 106 miles on the clock. So far we had no problems with the engine, clutch etc.

Maybe not exactly the same, but it shows that a few miles won't be that bad.

Happy California,
Eberhard