Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is high(ish) mileage a turn off?

T

T7 VWC

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've been considering buying a Cali for a while now and I'm getting increasingly serious about it. I'm interested in a 2010 example which has a good spec, but is has covered just over 70k miles. This doesn't put me off and I typically buy my cars with this sort of mileage with no significant problems. However, Cali's are clearly high-value vans and I recognise that people are (quite rightly) going to be fussy when buying them.

My question is this: when I come to sell later on, will buyers be put off by a higher mileage van? Obviously it'll be worth less than a low mileage example, but will it be hard to shift even if it is priced appropriately? I've not seen it yet, so can't comment on condition. I anticipate that I'll only do c.5k miles a year in it.

Thanks in advance for you comments!

It's not much over average for that age....and if you're only going to do 5k a year then you'll be under average in a couple of years.
As long as it's priced accordingly I'm sure it would sell no problem.

Bear in mind a lot of conversions aren't even done until the van has done 50-60k

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I agree, bear in mind the age and mileage could bring some repair bills so buy at a good price.

I recently read about major oil burning problems (one litre every 300-400 miles) with some 2010/11 Cali 180ps examples, whereby some manufacturing defects resulting in the engines needing to be replaced somewhere after about 50,000 miles. It seems to have been a known manufacturing defect, but the cost of a replacement engine is clearly huge. From what I read, I would personally avoid buying a use 2010/11 180ps Cali just to reduce risk of such a massive hit. Apparently later years of 180ps were not affected and neither were the 140ps models from 2010/11.

Someone will correct me if the above is wrong and of course everyone has their own idea of what they're prepared to risk. Personally, from what I have read, 2010-11 and 180ps is a combination I would steer clear of unless the engine had been replaced by a dealer at a later date.

Agree entirely with the above post.

I have this issue with my 180BHP 2010.

As far as I can see this makes any from 2010/11 unsalable really unless at a huge discount.

I would agree about the 2010/2011 models, but not all were affected so it could still be a possible purchase if the seller was confident enough to sign a legally binding agreement of some sort that if the oil consumption was greater than******* then the seller would buy back/fix problem.

WG...

Who would want to get involved in that....

Plus it may well be that shortly after the purchase the problem manifests itself.

In my view all 180BHP 2010/11 vans are now only saleable if a discount is given equal to the cost of a new engine.

WG...

Who would want to get involved in that....

Plus it may well be that shortly after the purchase the problem manifests itself.

In my view all 180BHP 2010/11 vans are now only saleable if a discount is given equal to the cost of a new engine.

Has your issue been resolved yet?

I reckon we're talking about isolated cases not every 180 van from 2010-2011. Seems completely over the top to suggest they're all like it.
T5's have got so many known problems on this and other forums that by your arguments that would make all of them unsellable unless at a huge discount.
I stick by what I said to the OP I reckon you've just been unlucky Bernd

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I am doing the oil test this weekend then it's back to VW garage....to talk about a goodwill gesture from them.

You will see from the other thread that that other owner got a 70% contribution from VW towards his new engine.

No one is saying they are ALL like it, but who would take the risk...I have heard a new engine etc is about ÂŁ7000.

Re-manufacture (not to be confused with reconditioning) would be significantly cheaper I imagine, probably half that.

There is a Cali on this website for sale with 115k on the clock and it appears a good price but has not sold in over five months. As soon as you get close to 100k your market will be reduced, the majority of people are not prepared to carry out mechanical work themselves on the T5 so any problems could be very expensive, these are complex vehicles.

I disagree I know plenty of people that have bought higher mileage vans.
Let's just remember these engines are tested to over half a million miles before put into production.
You only have to look at the vans for sale in Holland and Germany and their mileage to see it doesn't bother them.
The old adage of 100,000 miles and it's had it is long gone. I have had a t5 that I bought with 135k on the clock kept it for 3 years then sold it with 170k it sold in 2 days. It had service history to boot. Also look at how many people on here have owned or still own a splitty or bay window. Engines that we all know are not as strong as today's modern diesels nobody cares how many millions of miles they have done. But the van is in good shape or it has the look.

Mileage is like age. It's just a number! if its been looked after correctly it doesn't matter.

Personally my van has just tipped 116k but looking on here it suffers from far less problems than most of the 2010- now vans. Ok it had a sticky EGR. It's a wearing part replaced and sorted. Everything else works as it should.

There are plenty of vans in other forums far in excess of 2-3 hundred thousand miles they still do just the same.

In fact I'd be more weary of a camper van that had been sat on somebody's drive for years on end driven once or twice a year for two weeks. Than one that's been used for its purpose. The chances of the one that's been used breaking down or having parts that want to stick are much less than the other. It's meant to be used filled with sand in the summer and mud in the winter. That's what it's there for. Go and use it!

No worries! Lol

In fact I'd be more weary of a camper van that had been sat on somebody's drive for years on end driven once or twice a year for two weeks. Than one that's been used for its purpose. The chances of the one that's been used breaking down or having parts that want to stick are much less than the other. It's meant to be used filled with sand in the summer and mud in the winter. That's what it's there for. Go and use it!

No worries! Lol

Mine has now done 127K and off to France, Spain, Portugal, and Sardinia in early spring, and i have no worries about mileage etc. as it has been serviced as and when needed.

John

I researched the engine very carefully before buying as mine is a long term purchase. These engines are designed to do about 200k, obviously with any vehicle there are things that need replacing due to time or wear but if you have service history and it is with VW and the parts that need doing have been replaced and you intend to do the same then draw your own conclusion! If it is a case of this being the only way to own one due to the prohibitive entry price I would go for it but be prepared to have a slush fund for any repairs.

It is not just the engine, there are things like the fridge, diesel heater, electric roof, if these fail you are talking mega bucks. to have replaced/repaired. It is not like the old days where you can spend a Sunday afternoon sorting things yourself, you have to go to a VW dealer. Hopefully in time some independent Cali garages will pop up. I personally would not touch a high mileage Cali

Mine's a 2007 and has done 60k and always serviced as required. It is immaculate and cherished, yet used and enjoyed too.
I took a T5 taxi last week that had 200k miles and hadn't missed a beat. In fact, it hadn't even had a clutch!
It's easy clocking up miles whilst sitting in 6th gear on just above 2 thousand revs and I don't think that's doing much damage to the engine.
I guess, like most vehicles, it is important to know what you want, do your research and get to know the market and be as ready as you can be when the right one comes available.
That's why this and the Facebook forum is so valuable.
Good luck with your decision.

Our van's coming on the market early spring before we move abroad. 95k and still going strong. Everything still works even the headlight wash which never worked on my old Beemer!

Thanks all, much appreciated. The point about 2010/2011 180 engines is an interesting one, though hard to know how common the problem is.

I'm still pondering my options including another van that is ÂŁ4K more, but two years newer and with 40k less on the clock.

Sorry to hear some vans have experienced problems. But until there's some evidence about how widespread an issue this is let's please not jump to conclusions and make rash generalisations. My 2010 180 Cali is running just fine and this is the first I've heard of any issues affecting this age/type of van.

There's a tendency on the forum for one person to report an issue that quickly becomes viewed as a "recognised" issue. Not so - unless supported by evidence.

Nope...it's a known issue and VW have a TPI for it. They clearly would not have made a 70% contribution to the owner of the other van on here if it were not the case. Very many vans are affected. It's as simple as that.

Nope...it's a known issue and VW have a TPI for it. They clearly would not have made a 70% contribution to the owner of the other van on here if it were not the case. Very many vans are affected. It's as simple as that.
I'm sorry but I must Disagree that " Very many vans are affected ". It is a recognised problem with some vans and many affected were identified in 2011/13 when they got to around 50k miles and we're still under warranty. Others have been identified since but they have normally only just reached 50 - 70k mileage. An Internet search reveals the problem but no information about numbers of vehicles involved. That leads me to believe that there is a problem but not one affecting significant numbers of vehicles.:thumb

There you go then.....

But with a 7K cost for a new engine why would anyone buy a 10/11 180BHP van at full market value knowing the risk. Better to get a 140BHP from those years or a 2012 onwards 180BHP.

As for numbers of vans...when I reported mine at VW Trier in Germany they knew of the issue, and their garage had replaced at least 3 engines due to the issues.

But how many had they sold from that period 2010/2011 ?

If they had sold 100 and only replaced 3 then 3% were affected.

I know it is a very significant problem for those affected but there are other owners Not Affected and sweeping statements without evidence can significantly affect them if they wish to sell privately.
A quick search indicates that VW and other Van Dealerships are not down valuing these vehicles.