Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Essential accessories for a new California

Excuse my ignorance here but what is the purpose of the bungee?

Surprised someone hasn't answered this already for you. The bungy fits around the pot top fabric, permanently installed and under tension it helps to pull the fabric top back in when lowering the roof. Many of owners have had parts of the top catch in the scissor action of the roof. Not sure if this affects both Beach and Ocean someone will confirm I'm sure.

:)

Thanks Teejay1 and Welshgas,Is this a big problem on the California? do you guys use this? It looks effective on the video.
Thanks for your replies it is appreciated.
I don't use it but probably when my order turns up. ;-)

If there is one essential piece of kit, then the bungee is it!
It is so easy to get the roof bellows caught in the roof hinges at the rear by a sudden gust of wind, or forgetting to keep a door or window open to let the air inside of the California out. It is not the complete saviour for owners and only a couple of quid more than a repair kit!

It is so easy to get the roof bellows caught in the roof hinges at the rear by a sudden gust of wind, or forgetting to keep a door or window open to let the air inside of the California out. It is not the complete saviour for owners and only a couple of quid more than a repair kit!
Thanks CalDan.

Is the "bungee" still an essential bit of kit for the new 2017 Cali?

Hi Jabberwocky, the bungee is an absolutely essential accessory for all California's.

Is the "bungee" still an essential bit of kit for the new 2017 Cali?
Didn't buy it for the T6 Beach and not sure if will ever get it. I can't imagine how it is possible to let the fabrics into scissors when closing manually. First of all there are plastic guides that push the tent inside, 2nd you drag the tent sides inside to pack it evenly when closing.
You probably have less control with an electric roof. Like you don't feel if it goes down hard and something got stuck. Also pretty hard to look inside the tent while closing and pushing that button.

Two opposing views? Hmmm, have to think on that. But thanks anyway.

Didn't buy it for the T6 Beach and not sure if will ever get it. I can't imagine how it is possible to let the fabrics into scissors when closing manually. First of all there are plastic guides that push the tent inside, 2nd you drag the tent sides inside to pack it evenly when closing.
You probably have less control with an electric roof. Like you don't feel if it goes down hard and something got stuck. Also pretty hard to look inside the tent while closing and pushing that button.
No different then to the Hydraulic roof , but at some point you are pulling the roof down and a sudden gust of wind and that's it. The roof will only descend when the button is pressed so very easy to stop-start.
The Bungee is not an absolute essential but it helps to minimise problems when using the roof in bad weather.

Two opposing views? Hmmm, have to think on that. But thanks anyway.
Not that your roof won't work without a bungee. Just wait when you get the car. Check how it works and you will get an idea if you need it. Maybe it is T6's tent new design and material.
Bungee doesn't guarantee anything btw. Can happen even with it.
Some "helping" things may complicate it even more. Like a diesel misfuel protection I am not using :)

The only incident I had, I must confess. Trying to open the roof with closed windows. Got lots of stress on those folding guides, bending them slightly.
Maybe a huge red sign "OPEN WINDOWS" will help more than a bungee :D

Not that your roof won't work without a bungee. Just wait when you get the car. Check how it works and you will get an idea if you need it. Maybe it is T6's tent new design and material.
Some "helping" things may complicate it even more. Like a diesel misfuel protection I am not using :)
I guess your last point is so true! The Bungee merely reduces the risk. I guess also thats all we can do. What puzzles me is that if a Bungee is seen as such a good thing then why do VW not fit one as std?:confused:

The only incident I had, I must confess. Trying to open the roof with closed windows. Got lots of stress on those folding guides, bending them slightly.
Maybe a huge red sign "OPEN WINDOWS" will help more than a bungee :D
Good points - thanks :thumb

I have a bungee like people say they are not essential but I camp on my own
And have had a few near misses and thought for such a small outlay compared to. ÂŁ 800 for a new canvas it was worth it I also find it gathers the canvas in neater under the blind . Like everything in life it's your choice but I am happy.

1 downside that came into my mind is using it in a heavy rain. The material of the tent as of any tent is supposed to let water droplets slide down. The cord might help water accumulating on the fabrics and seeping inside. Especially on the front which is hit by the rain easily.
Just a thought. No need for bungee guys to come raging that they used it a lot in heavy rains. :D

Canvas on the T6 certainly looks like it folds in pretty easily but I've stuck a Bungee on as insurance. Pretty cheap insurance at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A pint pot for me a big wine glass for her and copious amounts of beer and wine :) Hip happy days hic. Enjoy your call you will find what you need as you use it.
Love yr comment! Hic.........!:thumb

Hi Jabberwocky, the bungee is an absolutely essential accessory for all California's.
Yes, for what I have read around here it is absolutely essential. I dont understand why the cali is not already equipped with it from factory. Specially, given its cost.

Yes, for what I have read around here it is absolutely essential. I dont understand why the cali is not already equipped with it from factory. Specially, given its cost.
If it is such a good thing I too have struggled to understand why VW don't include one as std or even recomend one in high wind conditions.

My tool kit
Two hook up cables in different lenghts
10m flat hose, easier to compact
Slim 2 socket extension cable
Roof Bungee
12volt tyre pump
Dyson hand held hoover to keep her clean and suck air out of storage bags
Curtains for awning
Flower vase for table!!!
2 pots and 1 flat grill
Electric flat grill for outside grilling and accordian table for it to sit on
Espresso machine
6 dogs
Hop over to Cali.eu when you have an uninterrupted hour where your husband is gone. Look very slowly through an EXCELLENT site for little things that make the limited space of a Beach or Cali go further. We travel with 6 dogs and their tutt plus a cage which sits permanently on the back shelf. I HAVE to make every little cubic inch work. Plus, and you will see this particularly on the continent, a sort of a one upmanship of who has what. Now, i am not offended by this, i think it's a bit of fun - well, after all , when we drive the Starship ZuliCampi onto a site, that is enough to make people standup and stare. And when we hop onto the bikes with the dogs, we are videoed.

View attachment 14590

View attachment 14591

View attachment 14592

View attachment 14593

View attachment 14594
Cali.eu sounded interesting, but it didn't link to a van site??

If it is such a good thing I too have struggled to understand why VW don't include one as std or even recomend one in high wind conditions.
Because VW do not recommend elevating the roof in high wind conditions, Why would they? It would leave them open to all manner of claims . But owners push the boundaries.
No different to many manufacturers who play it safe.

Mine's my daily too - I've just discovered that a double duvet and two pillows fit nicely in the wardrobe if the duvet is rolled up and bungeed round the middle.

My camping kettle from my tenting days fits in the sink but it's lost its whistle and seen better days so I'd like to replace it but haven't found another one small enough yet - what make is yours?
Outwell folding kettle fits fine, and looks funky
http://www.thefamilytentshop.com/PRD_ProductDetail.aspx?prodid=2679&gclid=CKv0_93ShdACFUm3GwodZX4NAg

• Agree
Reactions: Loz