Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Denmark July 2017

Cameron1960

Cameron1960

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi, can anyone give me advice on Camping / Wild Camping in Denmark, fuel (food) prices etc, weather, road tolls. We live in the NE of England and were possibly thinking of ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam and travelling up. We are in our 50's without children and don't want big commercial sites. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, July is the holiday season in Denmark so all the schools off and some towns etc can be quiet as everyone has gone on holiday. August is good as prices come down for campsites etc as kids are back at school . Weather can be a mixed bag but I think they have nicer summers than the north of England. I have been in summer and when it is hot it is hot. As for fuel and food quite reasonable with fuel being cheaper than here generally although the exchange rate has dropped about 15% since Brexit. It is cheaper to buy fuel after 6pm as they seem to drop the prices then. Plenty of choice re supermarkets.

Re campsites, their tourist information centres seem very good with lots of literature on camping. Try citycamping.dk and du.dk. There are certain areas too I think where wild camping is encouraged.

There are no tolls on the general motorways etc but major bridges and tunnels linking islands will have charges.

Oh, eating and drinking out is more expensive than UK

Last edited:
For us Swedes Denmark is at least 30% more expensive, not far off Norway. The Danish crown is for some reason really expensive at the moment.

For us Swedes Denmark is at least 30% more expensive, not far off Norway. The Danish crown is for some reason really expensive at the moment.
That's interesting as Sweden has always seemed more expensive than Denmark to us from the UK.

Well, the danish crown is 30% mor expensive at the moment. Usually prices are more or less the same in number of crowns.

We were in Jutland in June last year, stayed mainly in sites from the DK-Camping Guide, liked just about all of them. Would recommend Standgaardens Camping at Norre Vorupor (but pick a site with a view at the top before booking in), Strand Camping just outside Ebeltoft and Bork Havn Camping in, er, Bork.

You can pick up a copy of the guide and map at supermarkets, www.dk-camp.dk.

And beware the traffic in North Germany - we were very slow from Bremen to the other side of Hamburg, which is apparently not unusual.

Back