Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dented bike rack !

ejmoore

ejmoore

2016 California Ocean 2.0 TDI
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We backed into an invisible fence post last week with the bikes on the back, and have bent the top (outer) rail. Aaagh! It looks pretty stupid and needs to be fixed or replaced if possible.

This is the proper VW bike rack and in theory the outer rail could be replaced; it has a part number: 1655056.

I'll have a try with SMG Cowfold, but I wondered if anyone else had done something so stupid and managed to fix it?

IMG_6341.JPG IMG_6344.JPG IMG_6344.JPG

more expensive if the van was damaged

As he said! A tree jumped out at me in Verdun last year but luckily (!?) my's son's front wheel tool the brunt rather than the rack or van.

If a separate rail is orderable at a fair price then that would be best or if you're not too OCD I'd maybe find a friendly local aluminium fabricators and ask someone there on a quiet day to 'cut and shut' it and weld in a new tubular section.

As he said! A tree jumped out at me in Verdun last year but luckily (!?) my's son's front wheel tool the brunt rather than the rack or van.

If a separate rail is orderable at a fair price then that would be best or if you're not too OCD I'd maybe find a friendly local aluminium fabricators and ask someone there on a quiet day to 'cut and shut' it and weld in a new tubular section.
Thanks Max, that's a useful suggestion.

At least you're not the first.....prob won't be the last. It was like that when I bought it.....honest. I've a pal lined up to do as Max suggests.

IMG_2243.JPG

In 2010, late one night looking for a likely place to kip in Dresden, I reversed into a lamppost. Mine has had a slight bent top ever since....

We backed into an invisible fence post last week with the bikes on the back, and have bent the top (outer) rail. Aaagh! It looks pretty stupid and needs to be fixed or replaced if possible.
My T6 bike rack was either delivered damaged, or was damaged at some point on our van. On this photo, you can see a bolt on the left dangerously close to the rear of the van.
IMG_2457_LI.jpg
The photo was taken on 3 April, and the van delivered 1 March. The rack had not been used for bikes. I didn't notice the bend in the rack until several weeks after the photo was taken. I cannot tell from a photo taken on day four of ownership if the rack is bent, but it doesn't look straight.
IMG_2356_LI.jpg

I removed the damaged tube and took it here:
http://www.jmrsectionbenders.co.uk/
They straightened the bent section for £30.

My T6 bike rack was either delivered damaged, or was damaged at some point on our van. On this photo, you can see a bolt on the left dangerously close to the rear of the van.
View attachment 21864
The photo was taken on 3 April, and the van delivered 1 March. The rack had not been used for bikes. I didn't notice the bend in the rack until several weeks after the photo was taken. I cannot tell from a photo taken on day four of ownership if the rack is bent, but it doesn't look straight.
View attachment 21863

That sounds a real possibility. I have emailed them with photos - let's see what they say. Thanks for the suggestion.

View attachment 21864
View attachment 21863

When we were searching for our T6 bike rack SMG told me they had them in stock but would not send out by courier because most were being damaged in transit. Maybe that's what happened with yours, transit damage, shame you couldn't prove it.

When we were searching for our T6 bike rack SMG told me they had them in stock but would not send out by courier because most were being damaged in transit. Maybe that's what happened with yours, transit damage, shame you couldn't prove it.
I bought my T6 rack from Banwy, delivered to my home address and had it fitted to my van by the dealer.

Even if I can show the rack was bent when fitted to my van I would not be able to show who is responsible for the damage.

Me too.... I did my T6 rack yesterday at the ferry port in France. I'm still reeling from it now, but I know I should just get over it. That said, my OCD is kicking in so will have to look for a local 'bender'. :(o_O
IMG_20170709_211302.jpg IMG_20170709_211317.jpg

Me too.... I did my T6 rack yesterday at the ferry port in France. I'm still reeling from it now, but I know I should just get over it. That said, my OCD is kicking in so will have to look for a local 'bender'. :(o_O
View attachment 23429 View attachment 23430
Bad luck! but I have to say, it's hardly noticeable.

Still haven't got ours fixed - the other day I found myself telling someone we'd customised it. I think if we ever got round to taking the outer wheel-holding bits off it wouldn't look so stupid.