Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Description on road tax

The rate, is variable depending on the date of first registration, engine type and fuel type. My renewal rate, at time of last renewal (in January) was £220 for 12x months. Mine's a January 2017, 150PS Manual, Diesel. You avatar says "looking to buy" so not sure what your specifics are, but £280 sounds possible for a petrol, or a 204PS Diesel perhaps.

You can use the below website to check/confirm your rate.

http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk
Just had look on that website and the Cali Beach isn't included in the drop down menu. The Ocean 4 motion is though on the VW C.V option

Perhaps @Cary Blackburn yours was registered on or after 1st April 2017? If so, won't show yet until a year has passed? (Perhaps?)
If its after 1st april 2017 you don't need to look it up - all petrol & diesel are £140 plus additional £310 if list price is over £40k for 1st 5 renewals

That's the same as for me - 2008 2.5 diesel. £245 and shown as PLG. Looks like if we want to enjoy our Calis it is going to be increasingly expensive. I'll keep going as long as I can.

All cali SE up to about 2010 were registered as PLG - body type motor caravan.

(except those registered as cars that subsequently got reclassified as motor caravans & the owners given a tax refund, but thats another chapter)

Early beaches were not classified As PLG but diesel car instead.

There used to be an anomaly where a beach was treated the same as a caravelle - taxed as a car based on emissions could be costing £450 a year whereas the SE with the same engine/ gearbox combination was only £185 or whatever the PLG rate was at the time.

When The Cali started to get registered with the emissions declared some combinations - e.g. 180 4 motion hit the top tax rate . Soon after the blue motion bits got added to reduce the emissions & bring the tax down. So you need to be careful when buying second hand as there are some older californias out there that are stuck with the top rate of tax.

The important thing for speed limits is the v5 classification M1 = car N1 = Van

We have recently purchased a 2007 California 2.5 Deisel 174bhp.
Road tax is almost £50 per month.
Trying to ascertain if this is correct.
First registered 1/3/2007 as a Deisel car.

Wow. I am glad I live in Belgium for that.
My road tax is just € 132 per year.
My California is registered as an M1, motorhome. It gets in between a car and a van. I don't have the full tax and I don't need a sticker on the front windscreen as for vans.

Wow. I am glad I live in Belgium for that.
My road tax is just € 132 per year.
My California is registered as an M1, motorhome. It gets in between a car and a van. I don't have the full tax and I don't need a sticker on the front windscreen as for vans.
Tax is low in Belgium thankfully, but insurance costs more than compensate for that. I was quoted €2800 for fully comprehensive cover for my 2014 multivan. God knows how much a new Cali will be.

Tax is low in Belgium thankfully, but insurance costs more than compensate for that. I was quoted €2800 for fully comprehensive cover for my 2014 multivan. God knows how much a new Cali will be.
I don't know about the levels of actual cover in Belgium but UK Insurance is is usually only for 1 or 2 drivers with various excesses on claims plus many restrictions on use. I've seen Multivan owners complaining about £1500+ premiums.

We have recently purchased a 2007 California 2.5 Deisel 174bhp.
Road tax is almost £50 per month.
Trying to ascertain if this is correct.
First registered 1/3/2007 as a Deisel car.
I did recently see someone (on a van Forum) requesting guidance on purchasing a T5 and was advised to check on the road tax as some T5 2.5's were in the high tax band that you obviously have.

Is cali insurance less than multivan?
Multivans or Vans are classed as commercial vehicles which carry goods and hence are generally more expensive to insure than a non Commercial Cali.

Insurance is about the same as a normal vehicle I think.
I forced them to give me a good price, and my Cali is insured for about € 300 per year.

The first 2 years I had "omnium" (full coverage) for about € 1600 per year. (Discount for purchase at Brussels motor show [Autosalon])

Wow, I would be very happy with that price for full omnium. Who is that with?

Back