Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Devon Campsite Recommendations please

stuavo

stuavo

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all.

We’re looking for a nice campsite in Devon for Summer 23. We normally say in Polzeath Cornwall which has a quiet site with nice facilities right next to the beach which is fab but we fancy a change this year. We have a 15 year old son who reluctantly comes with mum and dad so we’re looking for something slightly livelier. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Hi all.

We’re looking for a nice campsite in Devon for Summer 23. We normally say in Polzeath Cornwall which has a quiet site with nice facilities right next to the beach which is fab but we fancy a change this year. We have a 15 year old son who reluctantly comes with mum and dad so we’re looking for something slightly livelier. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
If you want lively, you could do much worse than Ruda at Croyde, N. Devon. Croyde Beach is a well-known destination for surfers. The village nearby is lively with a few pubs and restaurants and Ruda itself has a bar, a restaurant, swimming pool with slides, amusement area and evening entertainments. Plenty of walks from the campsite can take you to Baggy Point, Northam Burrows and Saunton. When my son was a teenager he loved it.

Parkdean Ruda

Really depends what you and your son are into. But I do prefer the North Devon coast, seams to have a little bit of everything, sandy beaches, good waves, nice traditional seaside towns. Definitely more teenager vibe around some of the good surfing beaches.

+1 for Croyde, we will be staying over at the caravan club site at Woolcombe again this year which isn't too far. The national trust have a car park a couple of minutes walk from Crowed beach, so free parking (as a member)!

+1 for Woolacombe, we stayed at Warcombe farm campsite with a 15yo.
Large site (which my 15yo liked) and pitches available with hedges on 2/ 3 sides so reasonable levels of privacy. We went body boarding on Woolacombe Bay and my teen joined in and really enjoyed it, lots of shops (my teen likes browsing).

d3e692e139b06dfe028fb46ae5231ee6.jpg

California Cross near Ivybridge.

Not a particularly good site but a catchy name.

Our family stayed for many years in a field attached to South Allington House near Kingsbridge and Prawle Point. Easy access to the coast and Salcombe, A hidden gem. It was a working dairy farm 45 years ago run by an elderly couple (Mr and Mrs Tripp). Best clotted cream, worst scrumpy I have ever consumed.
Since their passing the Manor House has been remodelled and it is now a fancy B&B , weddings venue etc. But I also think they offer basic camping opportunities. Worth inquiring.

d3e692e139b06dfe028fb46ae5231ee6.jpg

California Cross near Ivybridge.

Not a particularly good site but a catchy
+1 for Woolacombe, we stayed at Warcombe farm campsite with a 15yo.
Large site (which my 15yo liked) and pitches available with hedges on 2/ 3 sides so reasonable levels of privacy. We went body boarding on Woolacombe Bay and my teen joined in and really enjoyed it, lots of shops (my teen likes browsing).

The pub nearby has decent beers but food is expensive and bang average. Better to go a further mile and stay at Pennymoor Camp Site.

This place is nice:

For many many years, our favourite campsite was just to the east of Tavistock, on the edge of Dartmoor National Park, on the way to Princetown. If you're keen walkers, this takes some beating! No beaches nearby, but not a million miles from Plymouth. And there's a bus into the town of Tavistock.

For many many years, our favourite campsite was just to the east of Tavistock, on the edge of Dartmoor National Park, on the way to Princetown. If you're keen walkers, this takes some beating! No beaches nearby, but not a million miles from Plymouth. And there's a bus into the town of Tavistock.
We used to stay here when I was growing up; was a small site then but looks to have grown a bit now:

Also in Croyde, Ocean Pitch which is a bit fab and has sea views, but small and difficult to book in high season. Or Bay View Farm. We stay / have stayed at both and would highly recommend.

Or maybe look at Ladram Bay, big site with a lot of entertainment and it's own beach. Walks to Sidmouth or Budleigh Salterton are world class.

Enjoy!

Also worth looking at Pembrokeshire. Lots of lovely beaches without the crowds....and far less traffic.

my holidays til recently was a dash down to the end of M5….head for Slapton Sands for a few days (so much to do with walks and coffee shops, I could go on and on…buses, walks and swimming galore). I then toured Devon and/or Cornwall and ended up at Branscombe Airfield…just love it….Zak sometimes lets campers join him on his flights! I love that the occasional plane is taxied out past the vans!