Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Devon van stopped on route to Windermere

Not sure what you mean by that comment.

what reason can anyone! Full timer or holidaymaker have for driving 200 plus miles? The first thread was about a Devon van off on his jollies for easter to the lakes. Full timers or holidaymakers in the current climate no justification.
as for post 3 the poster commented, didn’t say they had taken any action. If vans are appearing then they are moving when they shouldn’t be. Fine they are trying to get through this, get through it by staying put it’s not hard.
The only way to know their reasons would be to ask them. I certainly wouldn't like to judge without hearing what they had to say.

@Lightning have you considered driving 100s of miles to the north to make your way into Sweden to be free of restrictions? I understand that you recently moved out of the Helsinki region to avoid a tighter lockdown, is that right?

Maybe lots of reasons to live full time.
In this current climate, justify a move of 200 miles

Maybe lots of reasons to live full time.
In this current climate, justify a move of 200 miles
To be closer to a daughter and grandchildren whose husband and father has just been admitted to hospital with Covid-19, but you need separate accommodation.

And before you rubbish that as unrealistic, there was a news report recently of someone returning from overseas, self isolating for 7 or 14 days (I forget which) in a campervan yards from his family, before he could move in.

This thread has moved a long way from it’s heading. Which is on the evidence so far some selfish idiot going on holiday.

Mike

Something to think about, the people who chose to drive from Dorset to Cumbria along with lots of others of similar mindset are the ones that will drive the govt to take similar action that is in places line Italy and France. Certification to show where you have left where you are going and at what time, with tight restrictions on time outside and distance travelled.
Simple answer, STAY PUT.
It will apply to the cyclists ride like idiots ignoring sensible protocol.
it will apply to runners and walkers alike.
it will apply to the Motorcycle riders who think a ride out on Sunday is essential journey.
These are strange times, STAY PUT there is no excuse

The only way to know their reasons would be to ask them. I certainly wouldn't like to judge without hearing what they had to say.

@Lightning have you considered driving 100s of miles to the north to make your way into Sweden to be free of restrictions? I understand that you recently moved out of the Helsinki region to avoid a tighter lockdown, is that right?
I did move out of the Helsinki region before they locked it down. I have considered driving hundreds of miles to get into Sweden, good point, but there is little incentive to return to the U.K. at the moment, as there is nowhere to go, as its still pretty free from onerous restrictions here.

The c&cc - supposed friendly club, just turfed everyone out & shut the gates.
I wonder if they will refund/extend members subscriptions. We are members of NT, CADW, C & CC, BUPA, Chester Zoo and several others all who have suspended their access/benefits and the only one who has offered a concession is CADW who have promised a 3 month extension to next year’s renewal. (CADW is equivalent of English Heritage).

I wonder if they will refund/extend members subscriptions. We are members of NT, CADW, C & CC, BUPA, Chester Zoo and several others all who have suspended their access/benefits and the only one who has offered a concession is CADW who have promised a 3 month extension to next year’s renewal. (CADW is equivalent of English Heritage).
Looks like we will be in shutdown for at least another month, the cash flow in these and many other companies/organisations is effectively zero or worse.
If any survive it will be only by good fortune and/or decent reserves, most will go under taking their pensions schemes with them.
I hope we all know the words to "Always look on the bright side of life" could be a useful little ditty in the months ahead.

English Heritage have extended membership by three months.

I’ve been for a walk this morning and passed the areas I spotted vans, two nights ago.
All three have now moved on and a new Grey Adria has appeared out front of the castle.
So are these spate of vans full timers or people having a little holiday...?
I suspect the later.

The right idea if you’re a full timer is to stay put and build relationships with the local community.
99% of communities would be understanding of the current situation.

I’ve been for a walk this morning and passed the areas I spotted vans, two nights ago.
All three have now moved on and a new Grey Adria has appeared out front of the castle.
I suspect the later.

The right idea if you’re a full timer is to stay put and build relationships with the local community.
Any chance of going back and asking them

It would be an essential trip just to shed some light on this thread.

I suspect the later.

As a full timer, it’s normally best to move on after a couple of nights so you don’t draw adverse attention to yourself.
As a member of the community, the right idea is to leave the police to do their job and mind your own business.

As a full timer, it’s normally best to move on after a couple of nights so you don’t draw adverse attention to yourself.
As a member of the community, the right idea is to leave the police to do their job and mind your own business.

I would agree in normal circumstances. I do a fair bit of road side camping, so understand.
But these aren’t normal circumstances...

Lightning - When you are in the UK do you pay Council Tax in the area(s) that you stay or do you use council supplied service foc?

Lightning - When you are in the UK do you pay Council Tax in the area(s) that you stay or do you use council supplied service foc?
This is a common issue raised by people who object to van dwellers. There is no mechanism in place to enable them to pay council tax. It is therefore not possible for us to pay it. In Bristol, where I spend a lot of time, there is a community group for van dwellers who work with the council and other and other bodies to try and ensure they live in harmony with and positively contribute the community are living in.
Obviously I/ we contribute to the economy in other ways, through income tax, road find licence and VAT like everybody else.

Last night i spotted 3 Great Whites parked up in our town.
It really isn’t on. English Heritage have locked the main car park at the castle, but they park around the surrounding area...:mad:
One at the front of the castle and two parked at the Abbey...
View attachment 57179

Is that Kenilworth Castle I spy in the distance?

Two people have been charged with offences after a crash on the M5 yesterday in which a caravan overturned.

Police were called at around 1.40pm on Wednesday, April 8, after a car and caravan jack-knifed on the southbound carriageway of the M5, between junctions 26 and 27, at Sampford Peverell.

A 34-year-old woman has been charged with driving whilst disqualified.

Mary Sheridan, from High Wycombe, has been bailed to appear before Exeter Magistrates’ Court on 5 May.

While police were at the scene of the collision, the car left the area and was stopped by officers a short time later. The vehicle was then seized.

1_caravancrash.jpg

The scene of the crash on the M5 (Image: Ian MacDowall)
Garry Ryan, aged 33, of County Galway, Ireland, has been charged with drink-driving.

He has been has remanded in police custody and is due to appear at Exeter Magistrates' Court on 11 April.

The vehicles were reported to be part of a convoy of cars towing caravans.

It is understood the convoy was made up of members of the travelling community.

After the incident, officers located a group of people who had stopped at the Junction 27 services on the M5 a short time later.

Thieving b#st-#ds.

It is perfectly possible that they live in their vans or have rented out their home and cannot return. The legislation makes it very clear that the lockdown rules do not apply to the homeless.
Restrictions on movement
6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.
(4) Paragraph (1) does not apply to any person who is homeless.
Possible but high unlikely. There, fixed it.

Possible but high unlikely. There, fixed it.
The FCO has strongly advised everyone abroad to return to the U.K. Thousands of people travel for extended periods on the continent in their vans while they let out their homes, or have no homes. They all had to return to U.K. at short notice, many with nowhere to go, and those with homes are (rightly) prohibited from evicting their tenants for several months, so it’s not very unlikely at all.

The FCO has strongly advised everyone abroad to return to the U.K. Thousands of people travel for extended periods on the continent in their vans while they let out their homes, or have no homes. They all had to return to U.K. at short notice, many with nowhere to go, and those with homes are (rightly) prohibited from evicting their tenants for several months, so it’s not very unlikely at all.
Make all the assumptions you like but i'll lay odds on these being idiots flouting the rules.

Back