Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel Engine Pre Glow - error flashing

I can’t understand why the tail flashes with DPF problem. Surely the DPF light should flash. Maybe coil flashes because you started it to early before letting coil light go out. I always thought glow plugs are to aid derv engines when they get older. I wasn’t aware that new engines required pre heat unless it gets seriously cold, -10 below for example.

I think it should preheat when ignition is on. Even that sign is glowing showing that and then turns off. Even if you try to start there will be a delay untill it properly preheats.
Funny that so many people aren't even aware they have this issue until decent cold hit Europe.
I had it a lot due to lots of travels to the mountains.
You may be right but it was certainly the case with VWs a few years ago that opening the drivers door started the preheat sequence. It was designed to cut down the time taken for the glow plugs to reach optimum temperature for starting. Older diesels used to take ages to
preheat.

Last edited:
Maybe coil flashes because you started it to early before letting coil light go out. I always thought glow plugs are to aid derv engines when they get older. I wasn’t aware that new engines required pre heat unless it gets seriously cold, -10 below for example.

The starter motor won't operate until the coil light goes out ,so it cant be because of starting it too early.
All Diesels (except some chryslers that preheat the air) still use glow plugs, the only difference on a modern diesel is that the glow plugs are very quick to heat up, so its only when it is very cold that there is any sort of delay.

The plugs stay hot in operation for up to 5 minutes from a cold start & this is specifically in order to keep the emissions down & keep the quantity of soot that reaches the DPF to a minimum.

If there is a problem with the DPF it could be that one or more glow plugs have actually failed, with one out you probably wouldn't notice the difference. The TD5 engines fitted to Landrover discos & defenders were 5 cylinder engines with only 4 glow plugs & always ran a bit lumpy for the first few minutes in the cold.

The only external sign could be a bit of smoke from the exhaust when starting. Two out would make starting harder, four out & it wouldn't start at all.

I can’t understand why the tail flashes with DPF problem. Surely the DPF light should flash. Maybe coil flashes because you started it to early before letting coil light go out. I always thought glow plugs are to aid derv engines when they get older. I wasn’t aware that new engines required pre heat unless it gets seriously cold, -10 below for example.
I stand to be corrected but as far as I am aware all diesel engines whether old or new have glow plugs to aid cold starting. I am no mechanic but my understanding has always been that in principal the diesel engine works by compressing the metered injected diesel fuel/air mixture within the cylinder to such an extent that the heat generated in this process is sufficient to self ignite the fuel/air mix. Therefore diesels don't require ingnition systems like petrol engines have.
Howvever, the cold diesel engine requires a little help to get the fuel/air mixture up to self ignition temperature hense the purpose of the glow plugs. The glow plugs usually activate for a timed period once the ignition is activated and that maybe where I went wrong.

The starter motor won't operate until the coil light goes out ,so it cant be because of starting it too early.
All Diesels (except some chryslers that preheat the air) still use glow plugs, the only difference on a modern diesel is that the glow plugs are very quick to heat up, so its only when it is very cold that there is any sort of delay.

The plugs stay hot in operation for up to 5 minutes from a cold start & this is specifically in order to keep the emissions down & keep the quantity of soot that reaches the DPF to a minimum.

If there is a problem with the DPF it could be that one or more glow plugs have actually failed, with one out you probably wouldn't notice the difference. The TD5 engines fitted to Landrover discos & defenders were 5 cylinder engines with only 4 glow plugs & always ran a bit lumpy for the first few minutes in the cold.

The only external sign could be a bit of smoke from the exhaust when starting. Two out would make starting harder, four out & it wouldn't start at all.
That's very interesting. It was exceptionally cold this morning but from what you've said the starter motor wouldn't have activated if the glow plugs weren't hot enough, so bang goes that theory.

I think the key bit is:

"The plugs stay hot in operation for up to 5 minutes from a cold start & this is specifically in order to keep the emissions down & keep the quantity of soot that reaches the DPF to a minimum."

Its the only link between Glow plugs & the DPF so one dodgy glow plug = gunged up DPF = Flashing lights ?

I think the key bit is:

"The plugs stay hot in operation for up to 5 minutes from a cold start & this is specifically in order to keep the emissions down & keep the quantity of soot that reaches the DPF to a minimum."

Its the only link between Glow plugs & the DPF so one dodgy glow plug = gunged up DPF = Flashing lights ?
From the number of posts this would seem to be a common issue in cold weather.
Thanks for your input.

Fro me the error is still happening and again this morning the flashing coil came on while driving. Engine lost power - seems no turbo available. Called VW and took it straight in to the garage for them to check it. They say there was no error code shown on the diagnostics - nothing wrong being shown. They can only suggest next time it occurs I drive straight to them without restarting the engine. Is this common that there can be a warning light and no error code generated? I am starting to get more concerned as there are only 3 months left on the guarantee.. any advice welcome.

warning light and no error code generated?
Similar story - no error code, engine management light on. Light switched off by another garage but came back on again.
Then experienced lack of power and went into VW dealership.
Warranty had expired and was told the inlet manifold had to be replaced at cost of £1,000.
To cut long story short - item replaced and been working fine ever since.
With your warranty expiring, definitely recommend you leave with VW until it's completely fixed.

Thanks for the advice. The light is no longer light (it is fine after stopping and restarting the engine). and the garage state there is no fault code they can investigate. They have already changed some detectors and updated the EMS. So if I leave it with them am sure they are not going to do anything until the light comes back on again - seems to happen about once a month...not sure I can leave it with them. :(

Thanks for the advice. The light is no longer light (it is fine after stopping and restarting the engine). and the garage state there is no fault code they can investigate. They have already changed some detectors and updated the EMS. So if I leave it with them am sure they are not going to do anything until the light comes back on again - seems to happen about once a month...not sure I can leave it with them. :(
As long as the problem has been registered with VW before the Warranty ends it should not be too problematic if it recurs.

I had my second problem with this two weeks ago. Glow spiral lights up and a few minutes later it converts from 204HP to 75HP, ie limp mode. I got really good at turning of the engine and starting it again while moving :).
After one day with this I also got the error lamp for catalytic converter. After a call to the dealer I was booked in the day after. They had to replace the egr cooler to remedy the issue. Apparently we have three years of warranty in Sweden on Transporter based VW’s so I didnt have to pay the 1600€ bill a second time.

Well back into the garage again today after the Flashing Coil light again and limp mode (no Turbo)...This time drove it to the garage without a restart and left the engine running so they could check it over while the fault was showing. Their current thinking is to replace the Turbo...lets see...

So just picked up the Van with new Turbo unit fitted under guarantee. Let's see if coil light issue is solved.

Out of interest VW also checked out the roof seal, found and repaired some "minor" corrosion and applied some treatment. They also did an EMS software update that they said was mandatory for emissions compliance. The statement was it has no impact on engine power or fuel consumption but does increase Adblue usage - and they gave a cash payment on the spot as compensation for what would seem to be around 50'000km worth of extra adblue consumption.

yesterday the light from the glow plugs started to flash, and I got the "Start & stop error" message.
Obviously the guarantee has expired and in vw they have not been able to give me explanations until I leave it to him. However, they talked about the possible replacement of the intake manifold.
Besides the costs, what scares me the most is to see that there are various reasons and often various repercussions! In warranty are only annoyances, out of warranty are so much money !!!

All this on a 3-year and 64000Km california !! € 60k, 3 years of life, 4 official calls and now this !! I am very angry.

So now in June...4 months after the new Turbo fitted and thinking all now ok, though I am convinced fuel consumption has increased since the EMS software update.. Yesterday Lo and behold on comes the Yellow flashing light. Stop and start and all back to normal Grrrr. I just don't think VW have a way of knowing what causes this as an intermittent issue.

I had this light appear in the middle of Spain last July. The Cali was cruising and suddenly went into limp mode. New turbo was diagnosed and fitted. Strangely, the light appeared again in exactly the same place on my return from Portugal a couple of months later. Eventually towed back to Bristol and a new intercooler fitted! On our latest trip we had fumes in the cab and Heritage vw are sorting under warranty and have it for 3 days. I’m sure, once back it’ll be amazing again. I’d get it checked for peace of mind.

I had this light appear in the middle of Spain last July. The Cali was cruising and suddenly went into limp mode. New turbo was diagnosed and fitted. Strangely, the light appeared again in exactly the same place on my return from Portugal a couple of months later. Eventually towed back to Bristol and a new intercooler fitted! On our latest trip we had fumes in the cab and Heritage vw are sorting under warranty and have it for 3 days. I’m sure, once back it’ll be amazing again. I’d get it checked for peace of mind.

For the light to come on in exactly the same place is too much of a coincidence. This sounds like it could possibly be the result of external influences, such as electromagnetic interference for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the light to come on in exactly the same place is too much of a coincidence. This sounds like it could possibly be the result of external influences, such as electromagnetic interference for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t think so. It ran very poorly from having a new turbo fitted and the intercooler was leaking oil. Towed back to Uk. New intercooler fitted an that side of things good. Currently in main dealers for a leak from manifold blowing fumes into cab.
Getting ready for summer

after almost a month I withdrew the repaired California. replaced intake manifold ... cost € 1100 !!! now I hope it won't give me any more problems and above all I hope that my trust in my California can return.

After my Turbo replacement the flashing coil lamp still returns. Spotted in another thread on this forum (which I can no longer find) that a cause can be on a DSG if you use coasting mode. It does seem to be a story of cold engine , going downhill and coasting that could be the trigger. I have turned it off for now. No light so far.

And back to flashing pigtails. Now it is a turbo charger error and one EGR. 4 in last week.
Add the hookup issue in last week.
Warranty expires in couple months and I am affraid the vehicle will fall apart right after it ends. ;)

It does seem to be a story of cold engine , going downhill and coasting that could be the trigger. I have turned it off for now. No light so far.
Tried disabling it, as all my errors happened on cold runs. Still it happens, goes in a limp mode right away.

Back