Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel heater blowing cold air - any ideas

Yorkshire lass

Yorkshire lass

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi
I have a 2006 2.5TDi Calif - the diesel heater switches on but only ever pumps out cold air. Ive had a look at the manual but no ideas - not overly mechanically minded but thinking perhaps the heating element has gone but if anyone else has any ideas/suggestions.
I've checked the battery and obviously the fuel levels.
Thanks Yorkshire Lass

Try the heater whilst the van is plugged into the mains, if it works
okay then, it might be the earth shunt that needs doing.

Hi
I have a 2006 2.5TDi Calif - the diesel heater switches on but only ever pumps out cold air. Ive had a look at the manual but no ideas - not overly mechanically minded but thinking perhaps the heating element has gone but if anyone else has any ideas/suggestions.
I've checked the battery and obviously the fuel levels.
Thanks Yorkshire Lass
Can you please alter the vehicle details in your avatar, because it cannot be a T6 204

Agree. And if it doesn't work on hook up either, than things to check are the diesel pump (do you hear it tick? Can hardly be overheard, when it works) and the spark plug.

Thanks for your response - I've tried it on battery and on mains and it is the same response - it does click and the blower works but the air is cold.

Agree. And if it doesn't work on hook up either, than things to check are the diesel pump (do you hear it tick? Can hardly be overheard, when it works) and the spark plug.
Good ideas - I'll get the garage to have a look at that when it goes in for it's MOT. thanks

How long do you leave it running before you give up on it producing heat?

Oh I see,
I'm new to this and when I first got mine it kicked out cold air for a few minutes and then ramped up the fan and the heat rather than switching off like yours.
Sorry, I'll leave you to the more experienced members...
I know they will have the answer.
Good luck.

Hi - it tends to run for a few minutes then switches itself off, even though i set the temparature at level 10.
Okay, and it does this also on hook up and/or with the engine running?
If so, you should read out any fault codes with vcds or similar. You could also try the hidden menu (hold rotation knob + return) and check for fault codes...
There is probably some trouble with fuel supply or with glowing/glowplug. Listen if you can hear the fuel pump. Fuel filter or fuel lines could be blocked. The injection nozzle into the burner can be blocked with soot. The glow plug may not work, check the amp reading in the control panel while starting the heater (no hook up, engine shut of), it should show 2-4 amps (the fan) and with peaks up to 15-20 amps (glow plug) when trying to start/glow...

Okay, and it does this also on hook up and/or with the engine running?
If so, you should read out any fault codes with vcds or similar. You could also try the hidden menu (hold rotation knob + return) and check for fault codes...
There is probably some trouble with fuel supply or with glowing/glowplug. Listen if you can hear the fuel pump. Fuel filter or fuel lines could be blocked. The injection nozzle into the burner can be blocked with soot. The glow plug may not work, check the amp reading in the control panel while starting the heater (no hook up, engine shut of), it should show 2-4 amps (the fan) and with peaks up to 15-20 amps (glow plug) when trying to start/glow...
hi many thanks for the extensive reply. ill have a look at these over the weekend given the weather is not up to heading off. hope we get some spring like weather soon!

Back