Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warm air heating blowing cold air

D

davep74

DaveP74
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
hi. I am having a issue with the warm air heater. It switches on but blows cold air and then switches itself off. Any clues as to what is causing it. Especially as it’s bloody freezing at the mo.
Also when a double tap the remote fob for the central locking he passenger door unlocks. And then sometime when I double tap to unlock the side door doesn’t unlock. Any ideas as to what has gone?
If anyone knows of simple. On dealer type fixes to either of the problems I am all ears. Thanks
Oh it’s for. 56 plate Cali

Try lubricating the locks. Worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heating works when engine runs and worked in hook up. How much is the earth shiny and is it a simple change out?

That could just be the low voltage cut off? What is your battery condition like?
Batteries are ok. no issues as far as Iam aware. Certainly the control panel shows the leisure battery as full anyway. I had a decent run out last weekend and the heater still doesn’t blow warm air.

Also when a double tap the remote fob for the central locking he passenger door unlocks. And then sometime when I double tap to unlock the side door doesn’t unlock. Any ideas as to what has gone?
If anyone knows of simple.

I had this on our 2012 when the tempature was below 0 the sliding door would not unlock I had to open door by unlocking from inside, I understand there is some type of sensor in the door which was causing the issue. Once above 0 it worked fine !. WD40 tried but did not work on ours.

@davep74 This is the write up i did about 6/7 years ago and posted on the forum.
@Admin i seemed to have lost the recognition for doing this write?
is it a big job John ?
Vw did mine about 6 yrs ago but i don´t think they did it right, i have always had
the flickering lights when the heater starts up but not had a problem with the
heater not working after they did it.
It´s always been on my list of things to do on the van and i would like to do it
but removing the fridge is to me, quite daunting.
So the question is John, is it easy enough to remove the fridge ?

Just normal WD40 or did you use something posher?

I used lithium grease aerosol but only as it was in the garage. Read the WD40 label and make a judgement. Can’t see you breaking anything.

Mine is a 2009. Heater was intermittent at n battery. Fine with engine running or on hook up. My problem was solved by new leisure batteries (they were originals). Your age of van is in the shunt zone though. Have a read up here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is it a big job John ?
Vw did mine about 6 yrs ago but i don´t think they did it right, i have always had
the flickering lights when the heater starts up but not had a problem with the
heater not working after they did it.
It´s always been on my list of things to do on the van and i would like to do it
but removing the fridge is to me, quite daunting.
So the question is John, is it easy enough to remove the fridge ?
I changed the earth shunt on mine myself with the kit supplied by VW, and there is not really anything to get wrong unless they used a small diameter earth strap. The lights on my camper still flicker on start up but the heater works now and after a short while the lights settle down so i wouldn't really worry about it unless yours flicker constantly.

Batteries are ok. no issues as far as Iam aware. Certainly the control panel shows the leisure battery as full anyway. I had a decent run out last weekend and the heater still doesn’t blow warm air.
The Leisure Batteries might show as OK on the Control Panel, but could be failing in use, especially if they are Original. 11 years is exceptional if they are Original. You could get them checked out, or as has been said the Earth Shunt could be the problem.

I changed the earth shunt on mine myself with the kit supplied by VW, and there is not really anything to get wrong unless they used a small diameter earth strap. The lights on my camper still flicker on start up but the heater works now and after a short while the lights settle down so i wouldn't really worry about it unless yours flicker constantly.
Don’t suppose you have the part number still for the kit?

Also his long did it take you? Just thinking it’s bloody cold at the mo to be sat outside swearing at fiddly engineering

The Leisure Batteries might show as OK on the Control Panel, but could be failing in use, especially if they are Original. 11 years is exceptional if they are Original. You could get them checked out, or as has been said the Earth Shunt could be the problem.
My van is 11yrs and 6 months old, the leisure batteries could be 12yrs.
Apart from the flickering lights on start up of the heater, which is the only thing
that bugs me, they seem to be okay.
Camping ´off grid´ has never been a problem. Fridge on full wak, heater on,
charging phones, at its lowest has only been down to 30% after 3 days without
driving off.
I´m a bit reluctant to change them or get them looked at.

In real layman terms (imagine that you are speaking to a child aged about 10 )
how can i check if they are still good.

Go and see the big man with the brown coat who works at the battery shop and ask him to put his battery tester thingy on it and tell you if you need to break open your piggy bank. :)

Go and see the big man with the brown coat who works at the battery shop and ask him to put his battery tester thingy on it and tell you if you need to break open your piggy bank. :)
Yes. and i know straight away what the answer will be.
Thats why i don´t want to go there,

It´s either , put a big spoon across the terminals and see how big
the bang is, or lick them with my wet thumb on the other one :thumb

My van is 11yrs and 6 months old, the leisure batteries could be 12yrs.
Apart from the flickering lights on start up of the heater, which is the only thing
that bugs me, they seem to be okay.
Camping ´off grid´ has never been a problem. Fridge on full wak, heater on,
charging phones, at its lowest has only been down to 30% after 3 days without
driving off.
I´m a bit reluctant to change them or get them looked at.

30% is too low if that is correct. Normally 50% is rated as the lowest you should go without causing damage.
The Parking Heater is the biggest pull of current on start up. Knackered batteries can show full charge but fail to provide the high current needed to fire up the Parking Heater.

Simple tests.

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/equipment-accessories/39293-leisure-battery-testing-how

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/testing-batteries-main-and-leisure_topic48681.html

Sorry I've not got the part numbers, its been a couple of years since i changed mine. The kit only consists of a couple of bolts and some washers and you need an earth strap from a motor factors or make up your own.
I contacted Preston VW because there's a guy there who know's his stuff regarding californias and their problem's. I'm sure someone close to you should know about the earth shunt its been well documented. The grand total of the parts from VW was £3.68 I knew i still had the email from preston VW no part numbers just the invoice, so not a lot of money, earth strap is extra of course. As far as how long it takes, its a pretty simple job, just follow Johns thread above and you cannot go wrong, at a push about 45mins. Mind thats if you have the fridge retaining bolts in your kitchen cupboard if not its a sink out job unfortunately.

Just thinking there is also a fuse between the two leisure batteries so worth checking that too as it can greatly reduce your capacity. However the 30% comment also makes me think its probably the batteries.

12 years is amazing, and you can save a lot of cash by not going to VW. :)

Back