Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Disc Parking - Expensive Welcome to Edam

PS. This was the only signage in the whole car park - I checked afterwards.

43E5E86F-E7ED-417E-AC22-9994EF6A9DAE.jpeg

The comment on the ticket states it was for 'parking a vehicle which has more then 2 wheels, near a blue stripe' while no obviously visible parking disc was placed'. So basically the fine -is- indeed for not having used a parking disc. The amount is 95 (which is hefty!) and the administrative costs are 9. Adding up to 104.

Seems that in the municipality of Edam-Volendam they have recently decided (on the request of local habitants) to crack down on these parking offenses, due to a lot of issues with it. This article (in dutch) explains. Here is a google translated version of the article in English.

So, a case of bad luck for you, because in this particular area they have decided to enforce more heavily.

Next time you're in our country let me know. I will buy you a drink to compensate. Maybe not a 104 euro drink, but still :)

It’s true that it’s tricky following all the different rules in different countries and regions, but you don’t have to travel much in the UK to see that we enforce rules with gusto against people who could never be expected to know the rules. Travel on any long distance train and watch tourists be regularly stung for massive fares because they didn’t understand the small print of their rail ticket.

Actually I’d quite like to see a bit more lenience for tourists, but we should put our own house in order first before criticising others.

But a nice fine; sympathy for that though.
I live in Spain. Two words: Dartford Crossing. Sheesh.

A few years ago made the same mistake when visiting Edam. However, saw the guy writing a ticket within the minute. Ran and begged/pleaded and he allowed me to buy one of those blue roundels to display then - if I remember about 5 euros then. Saved a fortune there.

PS: sorry, not answering your question there though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: DM
Hey at least you get a sign in English in Edam. I doubt I'll get a sign in Dutch in Leicestershire :)
True enough - but no explanation of the parking rules in any language - in a town that wants tourists $$$

I have a couple of clock cards in the van and have often wondered if these are valid anywhere that uses them, or do you have to have the right one for the specific parking area?
Alan

Just to make matters even more confusing, you need to have the correct disc - see below

And of course, in Switzerland they are even more pedantic:

A Swiss MP has launched a motion in the national parliament after a man was slapped with a fine because his parking disc was too small.
The dog owner was fined 40 Swiss francs (€35) during a visit to the vet in Zurich last summer because police objected to the size of the blue parking disc on his dashboard.

These low-tech cardboard discs are used by drivers in Switzerland and across Europe to indicate the time at which they parked. They provide time-restricted free parking in so-called blue zones.

In the case above, the man returned to his car 20 minutes before the time shown on his parking disc expired. But because the disc was only 10 centimetres wide by 12 centimetres high instead of the regulation minimum size of 11 centimetres by 15 centimetres, police fined him.

Just to make matters even more confusing, you need to have the correct disc - see below

And of course, in Switzerland they are even more pedantic:

A Swiss MP has launched a motion in the national parliament after a man was slapped with a fine because his parking disc was too small.
The dog owner was fined 40 Swiss francs (€35) during a visit to the vet in Zurich last summer because police objected to the size of the blue parking disc on his dashboard.

These low-tech cardboard discs are used by drivers in Switzerland and across Europe to indicate the time at which they parked. They provide time-restricted free parking in so-called blue zones.

In the case above, the man returned to his car 20 minutes before the time shown on his parking disc expired. But because the disc was only 10 centimetres wide by 12 centimetres high instead of the regulation minimum size of 11 centimetres by 15 centimetres, police fined him.
Ah, so that answers my question, always have the right clock card.

Thanks
Alan

Back