Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discover Media sat navigation stopped tracking position

F

Fab

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The retrofitted Discover Media in my California has today stopped tracking my position when moving and so is not much use for navigation. It remains fixed on my start up position.

It does however pick up my current position when it is switched on, so some sort of GPS reception is happening.

Any ideas on how to get it working again? I've just started a tour, and loaded up all the Archie's camp sites to help with finding places to stay over.

The retrofitted Discover Media in my California has today stopped tracking my position when moving and so is not much use for navigation. It remains fixed on my start up position.

It does however pick up my current position when it is switched on, so some sort of GPS reception is happening.

Any ideas on how to get it working again? I've just started a tour, and loaded up all the Archie's camp sites to help with finding places to stay over.
Try a Software Reboot

Press & Hold On/Off button until Clock then Blank Screen.

Try a Software Reboot

Press & Hold On/Off button until Clock then Blank Screen.

Thanks for the tip. I tried it and still no joy.

I also tried a factory reset, which also didn't help. I've noticed a few more issues too with the unit, which makes me wonder if the whole system is off.
  • It switches itself off every 30 mins while driving, in the middle of a CD and App connect, whatever I am doing
  • The configuration Wizard won't run. It asks for the ignition to be turned on. I turn it on, and it still asks for it to be turned on.
Is this something I can fix myself, or do I need to get Vag Tec who did the install to sort it?

One other thing, the reversing screen display ahs also stopped. I used to get an animation showing how close I was to objects front and rear.

That sounds like wiring potentially as its effecting more than just the GPS, it could be plugs at the back have came out slightly or arent connecting fully but I'd be talking to whoever installed it.

If the radio is still under warranty I'd go get it checked out.

Last edited:
If you, or anyone else; know which fuse it is on then could completely power it off & try again.
Otherwise I would say go back to where it was fitted. Is it still in warranty?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

So you retrofitted a T6 Unit into the T5? Did you have any instructions to do this?

Sounds like it's either not compatible or the vehicle needs some coding changes.

Loose connections sounds likely. Most of what I describe has worked in the past.

The steering wheel buttons have also stopped working. They used to allow track skipping on CDs and volume control.

Vag Tec retrofitted the T6 Discover Media unit into my T5 6 months ago, but this is the first long trip we've had time to take since then.

They recommended DM over the TNS 510 saying it was a better unit and even worked out cheaper due to it having BT built in.

My understanding was that it was VERY DIFFICULT to fit T6 stereos into T5s....that VW had made it difficult on purpose. The fact that it worked for a while points to Vag Tec having overcome those problems, but don't rule out that T6 -> T5 might still be a no no.

Upshot is - I needed to get Vag Tec to revisit to fix the problem. They replaced the integration module which sits between Discover Media and the van, and said that this would fix all the problems I was getting. They also suggested that the new module would be more reliable and I should not get a recurrence of the issues.

I had to be pretty persistent to get through to Vag Tec, but once I'd made contact they were responsive. I checked out the fixed unit yesterday, and all the previously reported problems were fixed. (I was getting some pretty odd responses from the DAB radio - not picking up any BBC stations only fairly obscure ones, but that might be another matter.)

(I was getting some pretty odd responses from the DAB radio - not picking up any BBC stations only fairly obscure ones, but that might be another matter.)
Also be aware of plug in USB devices like chargers and volt meters as these can emit RFI(radio frequency interference) that can effectively jam GPS and DAB radio reception.

I get some odd dab issues on my T5 older stereo, power anything through the USB sockets and my DAB power reduces and I lose signal sometimes. I assume its a power issue. Could it be similar?

Back